The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Anverdi's Mental Die (156 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Having watched the instruction video, I thought the paring (rigorous shaking) required after every charing. But dealing with the prop, it seems like I need the paring after every time I turned OFF (and then ON) the receiver. Am I right or my unit somehow went wrong? Thanks in advance.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
I'm assuming that you are trying to save battery life between uses (e.g., during walk-around)?

Don't turn off the receiver. Just long-press the button to put the die to sleep. It will wake up instantly (the video instructions have a section on this).
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2022, jerdunn wrote:
I'm assuming that you are trying to save battery life between uses (e.g., during walk-around)?

Don't turn off the receiver. Just long-press the button to put the die to sleep. It will wake up instantly (the video instructions have a section on this).

Hi, jerdunn. So, I can use sleep-mode during walk-around, but need re-paring at the start of each gig, then. Now I understand. Thank you very much!
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
Where do you guys hide the receiver?
At a gig I always have my sleeves rolled up and don't have that extra coinpocket in my trousers.
Should be easy to reach to put into sleepmode.

Any suggestions.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2022, otreboR wrote:
Where do you guys hide the receiver?
At a gig I always have my sleeves rolled up and don't have that extra coinpocket in my trousers.
Should be easy to reach to put into sleepmode.

Any suggestions.

When I owned the effect I would have placed it around my lower leg/above the ankle if I was wearing pants.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
Thanks! Yes, I thought about that, but that isn't a really easy access for putting it into sleepmode.
I now clip it on the elastic band on the back of my underwear.
This way I always have easy access.
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
Is there a facebook page to share ideas?
Black Order
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Black Order
Anyone know if my receiver is broken
can I get a new receiver to connect the old die
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
103 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2022, Black Order wrote:
Anyone know if my receiver is broken
can I get a new receiver to connect the old die

Yes, you can do that.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
103 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2022, rockbrunnen wrote:
Having watched the instruction video, I thought the paring (rigorous shaking) required after every charing. But dealing with the prop, it seems like I need the paring after every time I turned OFF (and then ON) the receiver. Am I right or my unit somehow went wrong? Thanks in advance.

You shouldn’t have to pair every time. After you paid your dice it should recognize it next time.
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2022, How wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2022, rockbrunnen wrote:

You shouldn’t have to pair every time. After you paid your dice it should recognize it next time.

Thank you very much. My die is not recognized once I turn off and on the receiver. Maybe I should try again.
Bartelli
View Profile
Elite user
Belgium
403 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
I purchased the Anverdi Magic Dice set a while ago, I missed the fact that it was unavailable. But the magic dealer does have my money now.
When will the dice be available again? They aren't available anywhere so I guess they are back in production now. But when will dealers receive them?
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
A message to those who have road tested the die. In your estimation how long do they last before they stop working?The technology has a useful life before it will break down, as with anything. If it lasts three years with lots of use, that is maybe pretty good, in my opinion at least. But what have others found to be the case? I do not own an Anverdi die- but am tempted Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
A question no one can answer it seems . Am I the only one in here ?
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Dovetray
View Profile
New user
PA
4 Posts

Profile of Dovetray
So, I have had two white dice that basically stopped working and waiting on the third one. I have contacted the vendor and still waiting on my third white dice.

This is getting aggravating and now if I do get the third dice, I don't even know if I can trust this in a live performance.

If there is a charging issue, I wish the company who makes these would let us folks know and what they plan on doing about it.

I don't mind paying for something but please make sure it is performance ready.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
The micro batteries in these devices are very susceptible to malfunction if they are allowed to deplete a charge completely. This means you need to charge them on a regular basis. For working pros this is generally not an issue as they are using the dice regularly. For hobbyists, where their dice may sit in a drawer for weeks, this means they have to create reminders to take them out and charge them regularly. General advice is to charge them once a month.

It’s a shame Murphys doesn’t seem interested in publicizing this fact. I guess they are worried it will hurt sales or more likely, they are not even aware of the problem. But once the problem has been allowed to occur it is very difficult to restore the battery in the dice to full capacity. They will either not work at all or will go from a full charge to no charge in a very short time.

If the dice are not allowed to fully discharge then they usually last quite a long time and work quite well. When working properly they have proven to be among the fastest and most reliable on the market.
tomriddle
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of tomriddle
Anyone still using it? How’s the reliability after a year or more of use? Would love to hear user’s views
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Ditto. I have a unit on order right now from Hocus Pocus Magic and have since read about the battery issue described by videoman here last December. What is the best way for me to check out my new device to see if it is going to give me lasting service?
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Quote:
On May 26, 2023, Deckstacker wrote (in another Café thread):

...My Mental Die by Tony Anverdi (white) arrived in the mail from Hocus Pocus yesterday, and it appears to work very well as far as the electronics are concerned. Both the receiver battery and the die battery arrived almost fully charged, and the thumper had been preset to its quietest (least vigorous) vibrating mode, which I could feel easily in my hand and at various other bony points on my body. However, on the fleshier parts of my confessedly rather chubby arm and other such body areas, I could scarcely sense the vibes at all and at first thought it was malfunctioning. Upon cranking the thumper up to its medium vibrating level, however, that issue went away, and presently I doubt that I'll ever need to use the highest setting.

My biggest gripe thus far is that I find the tricks included with the device to be rather ho-hum at best and downright ridiculous at worst. ...And I will note further that the "Psychometry" and "Phone Psychometry" routines described by the OP of this thread did not find their way into the downloadable instructional video that accompanied the device as I received it. (!)

Bottom line: After less than 24 hours of experience with using the Anverdi Mental Die, I am very positively impressed with its manufactured quality, and if its battery life proves to be decent at all, I'm sure I'll remain very happy with it. What I am wanting right now are a couple of really good tricks/effects, preferably involving either playing cards or billets, and ideally designed to take as much heat as possible off the somewhat uncommon/contrived use of a die in such routines. Suggestions, anyone?

Perhaps lazy of me to quote myself here from a different thread, ... however, why not? I just got my copy of the Mental Die less than 24 hours ago and now I'm really wanting to try it out but don't muich care for the routines that are included with it. Here's really hoping for some ideas that I can try out on my favorite victims (friends and family) that will keep the heat off that cute little white cube with the black spots--an item that no one has ever known me to use before.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
There is an item currently for sale on eBay (ships from China) that I purchased and have found very, very useful to use in conjunction with Anverdi's Mental Die. The item is a dice cup + 5 or 6 dice that lists as "Black PU Leather Cubes Cup with 5 [6] Dice Lined with Red Flannel." The cup stores the included dice in a snap-closed compartment, and the dice are an extremely close match in both size and color to the white die that came with my Mental Die.

I have been using the 5 dice to introduce the age-old "Petals Around the Rose" puzzle to people and then follow up with a coloring book effect of my own design based on one of the tricks that came with the Mental Die. It is easy enough to do a palm/switch of the Anverdi die for one of the Chinese dice if desired, but there is also just enough difference in appearance that I can tell the Anverdi die from the others and simply remove the 4 Chinese dice to segue into any effect that uses the gaffed die alone.

Here's hoping this gives someone an idea or two about ways to introduce the Anverdi die into a routine they may already be doing. Enjoy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Anverdi's Mental Die (156 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL