We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Underneath - New from the creator of the Kn0win6 Game and the Carn3y Box (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
I can't keep this secret any longer!
Jack Straw hinted at this announcement in an earlier post. Some of you may have received an e-mail, for those still in the dark:
The Underneath features an experience so strong and so emotionally charged that absolutely no magic effect, in the classic sense of the word, is needed.
This special set of antiquated children's blocks includes a sinister secret that when shared with your audiences will instill a sense of fearful wonder.
They don't move, tumble, jump, or change. They do something so much more unique and just as ominous.
With the Underneath, secrets are uncovered, messages are communicated, and gateways are opened.

Check it out: enteru.wixsite.com/gatewaytoys

First I should declare, I have the privilege of calling Steve Peebles and Bobby Hasbun two of my closest friends. Frequently, I get to see their projects develop over time.
Several months ago, Steve paid me a visit and brought "The Underneath." My teenage daughter had a friend spending the night. She saw Steve and I looking at the blocks, and
asked, "Why are you playing with blocks?" Oh no.....it was on. I nodded to Steve and he started to explain these old blocks....
My daughter knows Steve and his bizarre side; however, the story was so compelling...the blocks so authentic...I could see these beautiful blocks clearly disturbed her.
My daughter's friend, is very religious and her reaction was...interesting. She didn't say much. I later found out why. She was scared speechless.
When she couldn't sleep because of these evil objects she came into contact with, my daughter asked for my help. I had to explain to both of them..I had to.

I love the bizarre. I'm not a performer for paid audiences. I am a collector of strange things. I have two (and will soon need to get a third) cabinet of curiosities.
I have many authentic bizarre artifacts mixed in with bizarre magic effects. Guests at my residence always go to the cabinets to look at my strange collection and see if I have aquired anything new. The Underneath now has a permanent home in my cabinet. I just need to be careful to whom I show the blocks - Lesson learned.

In the prior post (Jack Straw), there was a mention of price. I understand. Some fantastic bizarre magic has been released recently (See R1tual) and the pandemic has restricted budgets for almost everyone. However, I just need to say: You get what you pay for. Quality matters: Quality of the props and the quality of the experience.
So...You could buy some affordable low-budget props (that look like they were created by a child) with a ridiculous backstory.
When guests leave my house, I don't want them rolling their eyes. I want them saying, "That was amazing" while checking ebay to see if they can find one for themselves.

Also, remember TKG? How many decided to pass and are now searching for one on the secondary market? And willing to pay a premium price?
This is limited edition. When it's gone, you will wish you had one. I will never sell mine.

I wanted to let you know about this before it passes you by

If you've got questions or need to contact Steve: Magic.life8228@gmail.com
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Thank you for this. The website and film are great, but the website renders such that some of the images obscure the descriptive text.

It is not clear what the effect is or does.

The blocks look great and the theme is strong.

Best wishes

Todd
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4485 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Reminds me a lot of the set-up for the 1993 computer game, "The 7th Guest."

Not that that's a bad thing.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5545 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
OMG Vanderbeck, I was hooked on that game.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1265 Posts

Profile of reese
Just read the pdf. The Underneath is a masterpiece!
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
891 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
I frankly didn't really understand what the UNDERNEATH was all about until I read the performance manual. This is so good! A fantastic bazaar routine that starts with "hmm that's really weird", then moves on to "that is seriously creepy" and concludes with "WTF!". I love the progressive story that seems to just flow out of the props... Bravo Steve, you haven't disappointed me yet.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1265 Posts

Profile of reese
The effect is not spelled out: As Steve says at the end of the performance manual ( and I'm paraphrasing ) " The effect & method are intertwined. Protect your investment by not revealing the effect. Otherwise pirates will pounce on my creation " So.... you have to buy it blind. And it it is one of the truly great pieces of Bizarre Magick ever offered. Along with R!tual by Bobby Hasburn.
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
For those of you that took the leap of faith (without knowing exactly what is was), ordered The Underneath, and read the PDF, I knew you would love this...
@ Steven-Gibson, you are so right! It builds and builds to a WTF moment that can truly disturb!

Wanted to pass on a message from Steve:

The first 25 sets of The Underneath have sold out. Thank you to all who purchased a set!

Here is how the 2nd phase will be handled.

PLEASE NOTE There will be an approximately 6 week build time for the next phase with some being done in 4 weeks.
The Underneath is a very labor intensive project with every aspect (excluding the mill work) being done by hand.
Thank you for your understanding.

If you would like a set, email me of your desire to acquire one and I will send you the details.

Magic.life8228@gmail.com

The price will be 275.00 USD.shipped anywhere in the US.
Overseas orders will be handled case by case.

Again you all have my utmost gratitude for your incredible support!

Steve
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
329 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
I received Steve's email in the small hours of the morning and pulled the trigger right away. Although it was a little difficult to understand the total concept I trusted my past experiences with his other releases. After reading the PDF I have a more clear idea of where he is going. I'm looking forward to getting the physical props in hand and letting the creative forces loose.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1563 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
I missed #25 last nite as I was emailing Steve, but at least I'm on the wait list for one in the last of the 19.
Bobby's R1tual purchase got most of my mad money & of course all the kewl stuff comes out in pairs timing wise....lol.

Looking forward to Steve having last sets ready to go, yes he's never disappointed in the past & that's a no brainer for this & his next continued creations !!

Can't wait for 4 / 6 weeks to pass fast, of course I'll have to, lol
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Package received today.

Exponential increase in activity among all artifacts in collection, particularly when paired with other relevant objects from era.

Lovely and disquieting.
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
329 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Package at the door when I arrived home today.
Let the games begin....
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1016 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Something very creepy just arrived at my house
Bob
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3505 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2020, Intrepid wrote:
Something very creepy just arrived at my house

Usually that is my family members....
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1354 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I was lucky purchaser #1 (sometimes pays to stay up into the wee hours!!) and my lovely little package of evil arrived yesterday, as have many others apparently.

This is a real beaut!! I love Steve’s concept of the Terrifying Object, and the workmanship that went into this is clearly evident. It is creepy all on its own with the provided backstory (or any other that you’d like to create), and the built-in functionality adds such a convincer to it.

Prof BC has a chapter in Phasmology (Blue Peter) focusing on a similar concept, and talks about the importance of having a prop that is unsettling all by itself, and powered mainly by the story around it. These blocks absolutely meet that threshold, but then they overdeliver because they can actually DO some weird sh!t!

Very happy with this purchase— Steve is a genius artisan of the Dark Arts. I was one of the cursed who missed TKG, and will not allow that to happen again!!

Seth
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
786 Posts

Profile of roblane
Mines just made it over the’pond’ to the UK. Just waiting for the posty now.........
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1265 Posts

Profile of reese
I found an "Easter egg" I believe it's intentional. Any one else ? Looking for others....
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2020, reese wrote:
I found an "Easter egg" I believe it's intentional. Any one else ? Looking for others....

Easter egg where?

In the instructions or the blocks?
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1265 Posts

Profile of reese
On the box.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
786 Posts

Profile of roblane
Easters already gone though, will it keep till next year?
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Underneath - New from the creator of the Kn0win6 Game and the Carn3y Box (31 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL