The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
As a kids' show magician, I make sure that every kid I perform for leaves with one of my business cards, along with instructions (delivered in a very cute, funny way) to bring the card to their parents.

It is NOT enough to just hand a business card to a kid. You HAVE to tell them what to do with it. I think in some ways this is a blessing and a curse compared to those of you working for adults. I have to get my audience to bring the card to their parents (the ones who make the buying decision), so there's a middle step involved. BUT - when they do it, the act of the kids handing over the card and asking their parents to invite me to their birthday party is far more persuasive than me doing so myself.

And that sounds a bit manipulative. I suppose it is. But I do it in a very cute way that always gets a big laugh from the parents as I'm doing it Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2020, TKD27 wrote:
And that sounds a bit manipulative. I suppose it is.

Haha, isn't all marketing? I'm glad the business cards are working for you. I have found there are several others options that out-perform or work better than business cards, but if you're happy great.

You are so right that giving them to kids is only part of the process, telling them what to do with them, and even how, is what makes the difference and gets the results.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2020, TKD27 wrote:
And that sounds a bit manipulative. I suppose it is.

Haha, isn't all marketing? I'm glad the business cards are working for you. I have found there are several others options that out-perform or work better than business cards, but if you're happy great.

You are so right that giving them to kids is only part of the process, telling them what to do with them, and even how, is what makes the difference and gets the results.

Handing out business cards certainly isn't the only thing I do. But if your referring to things like handing out branded material, I find that putting a business card directly in Mom's hands is way more valuable than giving the kid something with my website on it. There are certainly lots of ways to market, though.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2020, TKD27 wrote:
As a kids' show magician, I make sure that every kid I perform for leaves with one of my business cards, along with instructions (delivered in a very cute, funny way) to bring the card to their parents.

It is NOT enough to just hand a business card to a kid. You HAVE to tell them what to do with it. I think in some ways this is a blessing and a curse compared to those of you working for adults. I have to get my audience to bring the card to their parents (the ones who make the buying decision), so there's a middle step involved. BUT - when they do it, the act of the kids handing over the card and asking their parents to invite me to their birthday party is far more persuasive than me doing so myself.

And that sounds a bit manipulative. I suppose it is. But I do it in a very cute way that always gets a big laugh from the parents as I'm doing it Smile

Matt,

Here Is A Free Tip To Help You Save On Your Business Cards: Get A Rubber Stamp With Your Info On It And Then You Can Give All The Kids A Free Tattoo. LOL (No Don't Do That)

Years Past When All The Magicians Were Fighting Over Who Got The Biggest And Best Yellow Page Ad, I Carried A Rubber Stamp And Stamped The Cover Of The Phone Book. I Had Free Front Page Coverage.
Smile

Tom
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Here is another take on the business card .... an effective, successful marketing plan is a garment with many threads. Every thread needs to have a purpose, and be used intentionally. Each business will develop its own priorities, threads, and plan for their particular market and business goals. It may be short-sighted for a particular business to completely discard one idea or another .... e.g. getting rid of print cards because 21st century. Just like using a strategy or tool poorly can and does lead to waste of time and money/resources.

Pizzeria, accountant, magician ... all have to find the blend of marketing tools that reaches the market they are targeting, communicates the message, ESTABLISHES THE BRAND IDENTITY, and creates traffic that can be used to generate leads that can be used to generate customers .... and then generate repeat business. I use print business cards as a sort of "receipt" after having had some sort of meaningful contact, with the intent of reminding the person who I am (plus the memories and emotions involved in the contact) and driving action towards my website for more detailed and motivational information. Others don't do that, or may use the digital contact/roladex card for their reminders. ** I plan to use both since the contact cards won't have the visual tag impact of a print card**

My message is always ..... Make a WRITTEN marketing plan, work the plan constantly, and evaluate the different parts regularly to be sure they are meeting your needs.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, KungFuMagic wrote:
My message is always ..... Make a WRITTEN marketing plan, work the plan constantly, and evaluate the different parts regularly to be sure they are meeting your needs.

This is good in theory and is what all the magic business books will tell you, but it assumes you know how to do this. I have found many performers don't have a clue about this and many other business aspects. They may know bits and pieces but no where near what it takes to do this. If they try it is usually quite incomplete.

A marketing plan is only good when one is at a point to be market-ready. There are so many other things that need to be firmly in place first before ever to consider creating a marketing plan, written or otherwise.

Also, you forgot "Positioning" in your above description which in many ways is more important than some of the other points.

Also, as far as business cards, they should have a specific intended purpose with a singular CTA. This is usually part of a larger process or intended path. So many just get business cards printed up with no real actionable purpose or intent other than to provide contact information.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Writing down a business plan is usually something guys doing weekend party work simply do not want or need to do.

The huge percentage of magicians simply do not have enough work to do that. Because as Mindoro points out it is only a small part of the picture. As such doing it at the wrong time will just not help much.

Great theory though. Not saying it is wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, KungFuMagic wrote:
I use print business cards as a sort of "receipt" after having had some sort of meaningful contact, with the intent of reminding the person who I am (plus the memories and emotions involved in the contact) and driving action towards my website for more detailed and motivational information. Others don't do that, or may use the digital contact/roladex card for their reminders. ** I plan to use both since the contact cards won't have the visual tag impact of a print card**

I’ve also seen performers use postcards in this manner.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2020, eatonmagic wrote:
I usually wait until I am asked for a card and then give one out. However, I haven't used printed business cards in almost 5 years since I started making digital business cards.

These are 100% completely digital and there's no need to ever print cards ever again!

No reordering...no more leaving business cards at home...no more running out at the most important moment LOL

Also...due to Covid, these are PERFECT for those wishing to have 'zero contact' when it comes to touching anything Smile

You can click this link to see an example --> http://www.eatonmagic.com/digicardtest2 (this link is for mobile only)

But, but, but, then how do you do "Out To Lunch?"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Business cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL