The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Working? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Just curious whose working now?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Me too.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Well “working” yes. But not as usual.

I make the majority of my money working on major national tours. Those aren’t happening right now although there are a few “drive-in” concert tours happening.

Variety / magic wise... All of the city events that I was booked for this year were canceled. A show that I was going to self promote for a run in November gave me the option of canceling with a 100% refund or continuing with 50% venue capacity. Without knowing if a second wave will shut things down again I chose to cancel.

That being said... I’m working on new projects, new skills, and trying to guess what the future will bring. Some days I get more accomplished than others but for the most part, I’m taking advantage of the time off from touring and thinking about a new future. Not how I would have planned my year but it actually may be the best thing that could have happened for me. (I say that acknowledging that this has been a terrible year for many people, and I do genuinely feel sorry for those in other circumstances.)
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I likewise have no "shows" or performances as I did but still consulting for a new project in Tokyo and directing some new long term acts in LA. We have 6 cities of Drive-Ins we're doing in October so we're also designing and setting up that show now. I would love to be back on stage performing but that's just not going to happen for a while.
Ray Pierce
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm doing shows.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is exactly why entertainers' business should have multiple sources of income. If one should cease temporarily or even worse, you have the others to sustain, survive or maybe even thrive.

Shows are coming back in many parts of the country and in many markets but with restrictions of sorts or reduced capacities.

Yes, I am confident there wil be a second wave this fall and winter, which I have been preparing for in my busisesses since June. Some even believe it could be worse than the first wave. I've talked to insiders ar Pfzier and it seems a reality. Others believe this will magically start to disappear after the election.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
We're all obviously hopeful. I have 30 episodes of a TV series filming here in January (under COVID Restrictions) and then our European tour is scheduled (as for now) in May... assuming that other countries will actually let us in by then!
Ray Pierce
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am personally amazed by the number of people I talk to who have talked to "insiders" at some company that has some information nobody but them have about the situation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Well, I have 4 birthday gigs this week. But I'm only doing outdoor gigs due to Covid, so I'm doing less shows than usual and turning down indoor gigs. I had an OK amount of Zoom shows, but that seems to have gone out of style and people have switched back to in person gigs mostly. I'm guessing Zoom shows will increase again after October.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I am glad to hear my magic brothers are working.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I have a show tomorrow and two shows next weekend. All are birthday parties but at my "high-end" pricing rate. I have two more bookings for future dates. One is a wedding reception and the other is for a men's fraternal group. Oh, I also have a Christmas show booked in December which booked me for this year immediately following my show last year. I am getting several requests for quotes which is a good sign I think. Things are starting to pick up.....I think.......I hope.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Great Misterillusion
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I've been doing shows since early July, but its just a small fraction of normal business. Honestly, I see no end in sight. My new hope is that the summer of 2021 will begin to see some normalcy.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We’re half way through two 10 day runs in Alabama and Atlanta.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2020, Kevin Ridgeway wrote:
We’re half way through two 10 day runs in Alabama and Atlanta.

That’s awesome! How’s attendance at the fairs this year?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
And a second question... how safe do you feel working the fairs? It doesn’t get much more socially distant than hanging alone 20’ in the air I suppose!
!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In Branson it is pretty safe. We are producing shows in a larger theater venue, and doing my close up show.

I don't want this to turn in to a "right or wrong" debate in the least. The shows have rules in place, and we follow them exactly. They have a mask ordinance that can result in fines or loss of license for the business so whether you agree with it or not you comply.

Here in this part of the world there is just not a large impact from this disease as far as people killed by it since January. It is still pretty low in the county I think. Horrible for those who ARE impacted to say the least. I would never take away from that aspect of this horrible situation.

Nobody is doing intermission meet and greets. Or post show for that matter. Most guests seem to use common sense. After all no matter what you think nobody wants to be sick do they?

In my close up show I have changed it so nobody HAS to take cards. I have gloves (Like the buffets have for those using the same serving spoons.) if people WANT to take them or handle something. "Groups" are spaced by 6 feet, not individuals within those groups. It is different, but it is just life now.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Yep. Same thing here. But, to be honest the people are really getting tired of being told to wear the mask.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea true. The mask thing really is getting to be a huge thing here too.

I'm not taking a position, just adding what is going on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Working? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL