The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Discoloration on copper gaff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wez_Evans
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of Wez_Evans
Hi,

I have a TUC 2P (UK 2 pence)

The 'insert' is dark and grubby in comparison to the rest.

Are there any recommendations on how to treat/clean etc so that the whole gimmick is the same colour/ condition
Nev Blenk
View Profile
Regular user
Northumberland UK
127 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Try giving a good clean a scrub with warm water and washing up liquid. Use a non abrasive sponge scourer. Those little square green ones we have in the uk. Theres usually a packet under the sink Smile Clean all the coins until they match. If that doesn't work then try some metal polish. I try to avoid polish unless a last resort.

Cheer
Nev
Coin & Box - book available directly from me.
https://youtu.be/kAxQ6GRU-RI
Wez_Evans
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of Wez_Evans
Thanks Nev, I'll give that a go before anything else!
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
If soap and water doesn’t do the trick, then next try toothpaste. (Really!) Or a paste of baking soda and water, rubbed well all over.

If you still want your copper even brighter and more shiny, then a quick dip in strongly acidic *white* vinegar (maybe with a little salt added) will erase all patina, and make it look brand spanking new.

(If vinegar is unavailable, then use ketchup/catsup, or even HP brown sauce.)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
Hey Wez, here is what I did and it worked great. Buy a bottle of Birchwood Casey Brass Black Metal Finish. $9.99 on Amazon. Clean the coins lightly with water to get the oil off. Take a Q-Tip and dab some on the coins. I used enough to not see the face of the coin and let it sit for 2 minutes. Rinse off with water. They turned a really nice deep brown color. I personally like the chocolate brown for my copper coins. If you want to leave high spots shinier take the dry end and wipe some away. Andy
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Send it back to Tango Wango. the manufacturer is responsible. You paid a fair price right?
don't try to fix what a manufacturer messed up. IMHO
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Before you try chemicals etc try using a rubber eraser. Rub over the entire coin using a little pressure, then rub with a soft rag like on old t-shirt and see how it comes out..Depending on how dirty the coin is you might have to make more than one pass....I have used this on silver, copper and bronze coins and it has worked for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Discoloration on copper gaff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL