The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Opongo Box - Switching Boston load (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
373 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Does anyone know how the coin is affixed in an Opongo Box? I would like to switch it out for a Walking Liberty
Bremner
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Bremner
Scott,

I am not sure about the Opongo Box, but I have a dollar size Okito box with a removable magnet bottom that has an Eisenhower dollar in the bottom auch as a Boston box. I wanted to remove the Eisenhower dollar, because I do not do use them. I didn't want to destroy the coin, so I soaked the bottom of the box in a metal dish with lacquer thinner in it. I covered the dish so the lacquer thinner didn't evaporate. After a few hours, I removed the box and let it sit around for a few days. Lo and behold the coin fell out. I now have a Morgan dollar in it's place attached with some very thin double sided tape. Hope this helps you. By the way, even if it is attached with super glue, the lacquer thinner will dissolve that also.

Bill
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1138 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Scott, you can use any US half dollar size coin you want.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
373 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Jerry,

My question is how to remove the coin that is pre-affixed in the Opongo Box. It may be glued, but I don't know if that's the case and if it is, what solvent I can use without damaging the brass
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1138 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Scott, did you purchase this used?
The version I have is NOT pre-affixed.
So, just to be clear, it came with the coin glued in place?
Threecard
View Profile
New user
Sunny Arizona
99 Posts

Profile of Threecard
I've wondered the same thing and have e-mailed the manufacturer @ info@essentialmagiccollection.com but have not had a response. I'd be interested if you find any info...
Threecard
View Profile
New user
Sunny Arizona
99 Posts

Profile of Threecard
I soaked mine in Goo Gone for 2 days, and while it didn't hurt the finish, the coin still won't come out! I might try heating it up then putting it on ice.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1138 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Threecard, so Opongo box came with the coin glued in place new?
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
373 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
The Boston load is "locked in." It could be glued or something else. I think I saw a review where the performer had switched their load from a Kennedy to a Liberty. So far, sounds like Goo Gone isn't the answer.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1138 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Scott, I you willing to use Bremner's method?
He had success with that.
Threecard
View Profile
New user
Sunny Arizona
99 Posts

Profile of Threecard
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2020, Jerry wrote:
Threecard, so Opongo box came with the coin glued in place new?

Yes, brand new and I'm thinking it might be epoxied in place. Hopefully someone figured out how to remove that coin! Still no response from the manufacturer.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
373 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Jerry,

I have not. First he did not have an Opongo box, so no idea whether the adhesive is the same. Also, I didn't follow his comments as he was saying the box had a removable "magnet bottom." If the bottom was in any way magnetic, why would it have a coin permanently affixed to the bottom ?

I will see if any of the "standard" solvents risk damaging the brass.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
I would suggest placing the box in a pot of boiling water for about a minute. I have done this before to replace a coin that I myself glued into a Boston box.

If it doesn't work with your Opongo box, at least you don't have to worry about damaging the brass.
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of magojose|
Once I ask Rubiales about this topic and he said that yes, you can remover it and then disolve the remains of the glue before fix to it the new coin.
I remove it and didn't have any problem with it!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1138 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Scott, inigmntoya brought this to my attention on another thread involving a different coin topic.

GO HERE:

https://goofoffproducts.com/product/pro-......er-4-oz/

This might be the answer.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
373 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I tried acetone overnight (nail polish remover).... no affect. Next Ill try Goof Off
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1138 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Inigmntoya swears by it. Frequently applies it to his coins.

Please update us on the outcome.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Opongo Box - Switching Boston load (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL