The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Plummeting American IQ (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I just read an article and watched a news report that over the last 40 years the IQ in the average American has dropped about 14 points. This would mean that the average students grandparents had an IQ 14 points better than theirs. What does this say about the new INFORMATION AGE? What about schools? What does it say about the Internet and cell phones? And all these old people dying? Do your own investigation as I don't expect you to believe someone on an online social media platform. The stats were not easy to find at first but I assure you they are there. Why isn't this the headline of the century? Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Because IQ measurement is a fairly meaningless measure of anything socially significant. See Stephen Jay Gould, The Mismeasure of Man on the lack of validity of such tests. And you might be surprised to learn about their origin.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well, all you need to do is import a few more Germans.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2020, tommy wrote:
...import a few more Germans.
from Berlin, Munich, or somewhere east? Smile

Sloppy or Fussy? Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is good news for magic anyway because if one wants to misdirect an American now, all one needs to do is give him something that bounces. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
No need for IQ if you can sorta spell Google correctly.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
That is really it: it is easier to be told what to think than to think for oneself. I had to fill out a form the other day and it felt strange using a pen and paper because I had not done it for ages. The Chinese under communism was not very innovative because they had the government telling them what to think. The Chinese were normally very inventive. They are training them now to think for themselves to get back that free thinking inventive spirit.

Tommy
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
You're right Slim, although I would call it innate intelligence. Ask any businessman about the quality of the young people applying for jobs today. Not only are they under educated for today's workforce, they lack basic life skills. I blame it on their parents, schools, and society that has failed them.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2020, Bill wrote:
You're right Slim, although I would call it innate intelligence. Ask any businessman about the quality of the young people applying for jobs today. Not only are they under educated for today's workforce, they lack basic life skills. I blame it on their parents, schools, and society that has failed them.

It is all phones.

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
No reason to be smart if you have a Smartphone...
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2020, Bill wrote:

1) What makes you think IQ is correlated with business success?

2) And even if it were, what makes you think that that would be a valid indicator of intelligence?

Imagine you were to replace the word "business" with "boxing." Equally meaningless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What's the meaning of the phrase 'A fool and his money are soon parted'?

Tommy
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
437 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Yeah: IQ is a tricky thing. Some (pretty solid) reports indicate we are getting 'smarter' while others say 'dumber'. The truth? "Intelligence" can be connected to the era in which one lives. I know some VERY SMART people (who have some years on them) who, although they have 'used' a computer for 25 years, still have a poor grasp of the very basics of how software and hardware work in sympatico (for example).
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
What's Sympatico? (I'm being serious)
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Things (in a larger system) working well with one another. Maybe 3 musicians, in a great jazz group are said to share a 'good sympatico' between themselves.
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Although I can't recall his name, there was a famous neurologist in the early 1900's, who liked to interview people, and he marveled at how many people struggled with the most abstract of concepts. Something like: "If all elephants are grey and you traveled to Holland, and while there, you saw an elephant......what color would it be?" Loads of people answered: "I've never been to Holland." I think the article talked about how much 'education' demands that students focus on 'maybe' scenarios since about 1950-forward (at least in the U.S.)..............and a long time ago, education was extremely 'concrete' in its focus. That is a tiny example of how IQ can be time-locked, so-to-speak. I've known people who were ABSOLUTELY schooled under the Special Education umbrella, but at 25 had more 'street smarts' that loads of 40 year-olds I knew. ......that is a kind of IQ.
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
The old always think the young aren't as good as they were, in their soft-focus, misremembered youth. Whereas the young always think the old know nothing.

As Paul Daniels said; "when I left home at 18 my dad knew nothing; when I came back at 28 it was amazing how much he'd learned".

IQ isn't fixed; people improve their IQ scores by training. It's unsafe to conclude anything from a shift, really, but it's probably fair to say that people's mental skills are shifting as our brains are moving partly online. We no longer need to remember as many things, but we do all need to use complex tech.

...and that's how we got the Turner watch.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. It's an excellent project and I'm thinking of buying one. But it's too good a joke to pass up...)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The ability to do research has been hampered severely. For example that quote is most often attributed to Mark Twain, though that is dubious as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
It's almost like half the people have below average IQ s.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Yes, but which half?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Plummeting American IQ (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL