The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » School (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Are there any college-level courses that will help me perform better as a magician? Actually, that is a silly question, as I'm sure the answer is "yes." I guess my question is, in which courses should I enroll as I consider a return to school? The ideal answer would include classes that I could take as part of some "fallback" degree program or fit in as electives.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
From rhetoric to diction, from acting to theater skills and from storytelling to story writing... there is much to learn.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Communication and public speaking courses, psych... Psycol... Psychology courses, and of course acting and writing courses.

Outside organizations to consider could include. Toast masters, and IBM or SAM
He who laughs, lasts.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Psychology. Mostly Human Behavior...that has helped me with misdirection most of all.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I agree with all of the above but would also ask what you wish to accomplish with your magic? Is it your passion to be a full time magical entertainer? Or to just do the occasional gig? Or just to enjoy it as a hobby? The answer to these questions may help us advise you further.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Theatre. Theatrical arts. Creative writing.

And take some business courses.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Dance or Tai Chi - especially if you do stage work.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
I highly recomend taking an improv comedy class. It will help with making you funnier, and also make you think faster on your toes which can help with the unpredictability of audiences. It also helps with showmanship and overall stage presence.

You could also take a class on woodworking or even costume design. Down the road you may want to build your own props or wardrobe.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Skool is fer losers!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » School (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL