The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Impossible cardtrick by Boris Wild. Fool Us. (142 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2020, Tim Cavendish wrote:
It would be great if magicians could just admit they can't figure something out, rather than make claims of stooging.

Interested folk may wish to check out Boris' PURACAAN effect on his Sensations release, and also examine the video's discontinuity between 4:38, where Boris transfers the deck cleanly from right hand to left, and 4:39, where he's closing a spread into his left hand.

I have no problem admiting such and did claim we all have been fooled. Even at the end of the segment, Penn doesn't admit it himeself that they were fooled and states out loud for the recording to play, "I think he fooled us." Is that evidence? Maybe, maybe not.

I checked that discontinuity- Still doesn't explain Penn calling out the number three and then Boris cleanly dealing to the third card without any deck manipulations. UNLESS Boris signaled "Three" to Penn with his fingers when he makes a hand gesture right before Penn calls out, "Three". That would indicate that we are sticking with the STOOGE theory. Also- In some other ACAAN type effects the performer shows the cards next to the 'called out number card. In this instance the other cards are not shown and Penn actuallt squares up the three cards in his hand before the camera zooms in. You can see a bit of the pip of the card behind the Two of Spades; It could be a Two of Spades also. Why square up and hide them otherwise? Why not deal the three cards face up?

It's about having fun here and I claim "STOOGE". This effect won't be released at least in the way the three performed it.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:
I checked that discontinuity- Still doesn't explain Penn calling out the number three and then Boris cleanly dealing to the third card without any deck manipulations.

Quote:
Interested folk may wish to check out Boris' PURACAAN effect on his Sensations release, AND ALSO examine the video's discontinuity

You can lead a horse to water...
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:
I checked that discontinuity- Still doesn't explain Penn calling out the number three and then Boris cleanly dealing to the third card without any deck manipulations.

Quote:
Interested folk may wish to check out Boris' PURACAAN effect on his Sensations release, AND ALSO examine the video's discontinuity

You can lead a horse to water...

Yes, did that repeatedly. Is this your claim how it was accomplished with the routining and methods of PURACAAN. Penn and Teller are not going to be fooled by culling and sticky stuff.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
You demonstrably have not consulted the reference material cited.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
It appears so. Or have I? Smile
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I don't believe P&T would collaborate. The whole point of the show is that they are the judges who the performers must try to fool.

I think it is likely that Boris just got lucky like Darko said. Penn happened to call the perfect number, so Boris was able to abort the rest of the procedure, and have a totally clean finish. (He could have done the same if Penn called 2 - then it would be the next card). He certainly seemed delighted when Penn called 3!
BUT in that situation, why didn't he let Penn deal off the three cards - which would be even cleaner - instead of doing it himself?

I did notice one detail no one else has mentioned -
3.40 - 3.45 after Teller selects the 2S, Boris continues to spread through a few more cards, and then gets Teller to replace the card at a specific location. Maybe a sticky card like Mike Powers suggested.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Although anything is possible I don't believe for a second that either Penn or Teller were stooges.

Having listened to Penn's podcasts for years he is big on integrity, particularly where it comes to FU. The show has strict rules. There is nothing to gain and a reputation to lose by faking a trick. And it's not like he's really good friends with Boris. And Boris is a very accomplished magician -- again no real upside and a big downside to faking this. After all, he would fool laymen with any ACAAN. Stooging would just be to fool magicians. Even instant stooging with P or T would give away the trick to them and they wouldn't be fooled.

So maybe he got lucky, maybe we didn't see everything, or maybe Boris is just that good. But no way did P or T collaborate to fool us.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2020, Nikodemus wrote:
I don't believe P&T would collaborate. The whole point of the show is that they are the judges who the performers must try to fool.

Normally I wouldn't believe that would collaborate either and as you mention the point of the show, that is correct. BUT certain "tells" (for me) are leading towards inside involvement from Penn and Teller.

Quote:
I think it is likely that Boris just got lucky like Darko said. Penn happened to call the perfect number, so Boris was able to abort the rest of the procedure, and have a totally clean finish. (He could have done the same if Penn called 2 - then it would be the next card). He certainly seemed delighted when Penn called 3!
BUT in that situation, why didn't he let Penn deal off the three cards - which would be even cleaner - instead of doing it himself?

I am not buying in to Boris being lucky for one moment. Out of 52, Penn hits it right on the number? No way, not even with the other two cards being "outs". Why didn't he let Penn deal off the three cards? Yes! And why did the camera wait until Penn had squared up the three cards? And why does it appear to be another "2" behind the "2" that Penn held up?

Quote:
I did notice one detail no one else has mentioned -
3.40 - 3.45 after Teller selects the 2S, Boris continues to spread through a few more cards, and then gets Teller to replace the card at a specific location. Maybe a sticky card like Mike Powers suggested.

Great observation! Boris is not just moving his thumb but his fingers underneath too. He expresses that he will not be controlling the card because he just moved the sticky card in to position. Great call, Mike!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2020, CardGuyMike wrote:
Although anything is possible I don't believe for a second that either Penn or Teller were stooges.

Having listened to Penn's podcasts for years he is big on integrity, particularly where it comes to FU. The show has strict rules. There is nothing to gain and a reputation to lose by faking a trick. And it's not like he's really good friends with Boris. And Boris is a very accomplished magician -- again no real upside and a big downside to faking this. After all, he would fool laymen with any ACAAN. Stooging would just be to fool magicians. Even instant stooging with P or T would give away the trick to them and they wouldn't be fooled.

So maybe he got lucky, maybe we didn't see everything, or maybe Boris is just that good. But no way did P or T collaborate to fool us.

From my perspective there is no way that Penn and Teller were actually fooled. Again, they KNOW cards. So then if they weren't stooges then they were faking being fooled. They could have decided that for this one effect we are going to do something comepletely out of the box, out of the norm, etc. It's show biz afer all and show biz is what it is all about even above the magic.

There was no "lucky", no "maybe we didn't see everything" and Boris is VERY good but he didn't fool them. IMHO

At minute 3:54 before Teller places the card back to the deck he changes his grip on the card to hold the outer edges only instead of pinching a portion like most spectators do. -As if he is helping to position the card on the sticky card.

At minute 4:44 Penn is looking right at Boris' fingers when he is separating three of them.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
There is no way three professional magicians would conspire to televise such a lame pick-a-card effect.

MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2020, Mr Salk wrote:
There is no way three professional magicians would conspire to televise such a lame pick-a-card effect.

Exactly
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Apparently it wasn't lame at all but quite a phenominal entertainment piece which is what magic is all about.
iFeatherly
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of iFeatherly
Quote:

You can lead a horse to water... [/quote]

Yes, did that repeatedly. Is this your claim how it was accomplished with the routining and methods of PURACAAN. Penn and Teller are not going to be fooled by culling and sticky stuff. [/quote]

Didn’t Kostya fool them like that though?

https://youtu.be/SCFXV6o7cro
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Great reference, i! It appears that he did! Penn even talks about it on stage in the video below. Then again it APPEARS that they were fooled. I say it is all a stage act and a very good one too. THAT'S show biz!
MBAgamer
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MBAgamer
Before people continue to conspire further about Penn and Teller being stooges or faking being fooled, go look at the following effect (and its method) from Boris Wilds /Marked Deck Project/. There is an effect in there called PURACAAN. The main part of the effect and method is the same as the one as seen here. Of course there are some differences but, as I said, the main part (the part at the end that is so puzzling) is the same. Without giving anything away, I can say the following: in PURACAAN if the number 3 is named then there is a perfect outcome, however if any number other than 3 is named then there is something that has to occur in order to bring the effect to conclusion. Of course Boris had the intention to perform the effect the way it was supposed to be performed, that is, he obviously was not taking a 1/52 chance for the perfect outcome to occur. So his intentions were obviously to conclude the effect the way it is concluded 51/52 times. But since Penn named the number 3, we got a perfect, impossible looking outcome.

So, please, stop conspiring about Penn and Teller being stooges or faking being fooled. They were neither stooges nor did they fake being fooled. Go do your research.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I totally agree MBAgamer.

Mike
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Conspiring? That's funny. My posts are all in good fun and I am happy to concede if they actually were fooled. PURACAAN was mentioned earlier. As I mentioned before- With Penn calling out "Three" and then squaring up the three cards counted to and not displaying the other two APPEARS to indicate that he was in on it.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I would say it indicates nothing of the sort. I can believe a lot of things, but P and T have no incentive to cheat for Boris Wild/his trick and a stellar reputation/hit show to potentially lose. I'm not buying it without evidence and there really isn't any. It was a great trick and fooled me.

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2020, EZrhythm wrote:
Conspiring? That's funny. My posts are all in good fun and I am happy to concede if they actually were fooled. PURACAAN was mentioned earlier. As I mentioned before- With Penn calling out "Three" and then squaring up the three cards counted to and not displaying the other two APPEARS to indicate that he was in on it.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Thank You for your reply, Kaliix! No rebutal to the appearance of evidences claims I made?

Incentive to cheat? It is their show and all about entertaining and drawing in viewers. That comes first. Do you believe that every time they indicated that they were fooled on the show, they were actually fooled?

Reputation to lose? Never. Who is going to reveal that they were in on it? Keeping secrets has long been a part of showbiz. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
From my perspective there is no way that Penn and Teller were actually fooled. Again, they KNOW cards.

They were fooled with a well-known, essentially self-working Simon Aronson card trick. They have gaps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Impossible cardtrick by Boris Wild. Fool Us. (142 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL