The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Full Stage Performance at a Corporate Event (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
furmanmatt
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
217 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
Https://youtu.be/Rs2iERdbW1M

Filmed 4 years ago at a Sales Meeting I was hired for in AZ.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
That was terrible man.

Read Maximum Entertainment.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Absolutely, lol I immediately thought the same thing myself
Dylenium
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Dylenium
I agree with futureal and mindpro that this wasnt exactly A+... I am not a professional but I can definetly give some suggestions from a viewers perspective. My main problem was that there was no red string through the performance. I watched the video in 3 sittings, which was no problem since there was no connection between the tricks. The problem with that is that it is easy to loose interest pretty quickly. There is no drive, no emotional evolvement going on. I don't even say there must be a deep emotional theme but at least something that isn't just trick after trick. If you look at succesfull comedy magicians they also don't have a deep theme but atleast they tell funny stories and engage in that way with the audience.
Also the acting during the tricks could be more. For example when you stepped on the sunglasses. This is a big deal. Normal glasses can be expensive. No one knows if you stepped on cheap sunglasses or on his expensive glasses. This is something big and interesting SHOW THAT. Your participant visibly bought the premise that this could go wrong, that's a good thing. The only problem is that you yourself didn't buy the premise.
Also at the end the one ahead was structured wrong, maybe you forgot because you were nervous or something. In your performance you wrote his/her thought down, handed it to the spec and then asked the spec what he thought, then the spec shows what you wrote. So far so good but why do you take the envelope out of the womans hands afterwords? There is no explanation to that. If done correct you would write the thought down, hand it to the spec, THEN take the envelope and say something like "my answer is locked in, I cant change it anymore, you wrote *insert thought* on your card, lets see what I wrote" now it makes sense that you took the envelope also the build up is better that way.
Last thing is about asking for applause. I like that you always say "give HIM / HER a round of applause" but you do this way to often. When they start to applaude by themselves then don't say that line, just say thank you or something like that. This will also signal your audience that the trick is over and they may applaude now. When you ask for applause that much it seems a bit... Desperate.
So, enough bad critic, there also was good stuff. I liked that you called many audience members up on stage (even tough you had some troubles getting them up, there are some tips on that in chuck hickock mentalism incorporated and probably in many other books).
Also your sleights were really on point.
You spoke without many uhms and were easy to understand.
I hope this helped
Greetings
Dylan
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Dylenium Thank you for your helpful comments instead of the boorish ridicule.
Lakewood, Ohio
furmanmatt
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
217 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
Lol. You should read Maximum Entertainment 2.0. Ken put me in the book as an example. I happen to be his favorite performing magician. I have been hired for Ken's family events many times.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
As for myself, I appreciated the tricks. Your performance style did not entertain me though.
If you are happy with the performance and you were able to book more shows, that is what counts.
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural

I don't know if you were looking for criticism by posting this video.

You come across a little too relaxed and bored with the tricks. It's more like a teacher just going through the motions of delivering material. From the initial minutes that I watched it feels like your show structure is a conveyor belt of tricks. It felt like demo's rather than performances. Your opening line " and I'll start with a newspaper trick " killed any suspension of disbelief you could have built. You triggered the "its just a trick" notion in their mind, and robbed them of entertainment. I'm not suggesting that you should aim to make them believe its real magic but at least strive for some wonder.

You also spoiled the end of the egg trick by introducing the glass early. They were already anticipating the egg being real.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2020, Mr. Dural wrote:
You also spoiled the end of the egg trick by introducing the glass early. They were already anticipating the egg being real.

Relax, this guy is Ken Weber's favorite performer.
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2020, Mac_Stone wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2020, Mr. Dural wrote:

Relax, this guy is Ken Weber's favorite performer.

If Ken Weber likes this then I'm going to have to burn my copy of Maximum Entertainment.
furmanmatt
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
217 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
Appreciate the feedback. Let me get this straight. You think the egg didn't fool them because of the glass? Nah.
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2020, furmanmatt wrote:
Appreciate the feedback. Let me get this straight. You think the egg didn't fool them because of the glass? Nah.

I meant that you tipped the reveal of the trick by introducing the glass way too soon. This comment was not about the audience being fooled - it was more about how you could have had it play stronger.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Then you better start lighting the fire now and toss Maximum Entertainment into it
furmanmatt
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
217 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
Ok, I appreciate and understand your points, and want to address them. First off, I agree my show is trick, after trick, after trick. I know what you mean about a show that flows nicely, has callbacks, ingrained humor, and has obviosly been performed 1000s of times. That is not my show, lol, clearly.

I never uploaded this video because there are 2 major flashes. The audience was in front of me and did not see the flashes, the cameraman was at my extreme right. The production company for the event filmed everything at the conference. They usually put together a montage of the meeting. They were nice enough to send it to me.

I get hired by companies to perform at events. TBH, 90% of my work is close up. I don't do that many full shows. Often I'll do 15-20 minutes for everyone on stage or front of the room, which is easy. I almost never just do a show without strolling first. So the people already love me.

Since my work is mostly repeat business and word of mouth, I entertain the same crowds over and over, and need new tricks. Therefore I don't really have a set show. I change it up constantly, adding in a few new things here and there. I actualy lay out my tricks in order on a table at the back Smile

Performing on stage is a weakness for me. I find it much harder to work in new stage tricks vs. new close up tricks. I won't do a show on stage for more than 200 people, cause I can't. I admit my show is not the greatest, yet what I am doing is working. I have actually come a long way. I used to pace a lot and go way too fast.

I will mention one other point to consider. I am a magic junky and many years ago used to go to a lot of magic conventions. The stage shows, a long time ago, were not that good. Plus after I have seen a guys act one or two times, and it is the same, it is hard to watch again. I used to skip the stage shows and session in the lobby.

One time, it might have been a Magic Live years and years ago, I decided to go to the show. There were good acts, and I was still bored.
Yet one guy came out and put a box or bag on the table behind him. He would take out a trick, do it, put it away, take out another trick, and do it. Rapid fire. And it was great. Granted, the tricks were all good and he did them well. They were quick, and cool, and fun to watch. I loved it and never forgot his act (though I couldn't tell you any of his tricks). I just know he kept my attention and I liked watching him.
Dylenium
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Dylenium
Very cool that you finally respond to the criticism in a normal way!
I think its very normal and good that you try to do on stage what you like to watch yourself. This makes sense to me. As wravyn said if you liked it and the audience liked it then that's all that counts. I still think that you could be more excited about your own tricks, but that's just my personal taste.
If you don't do much stage work, its only natural that you view it as a weakness. But I guess this would become better with more practice.
furmanmatt
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
217 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
Thank you. Please be clear I love criticism and learning and growing. My hesitation is when it comes from "magicians" who are not out there performing. It is a very different animal.
KWEBER
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of KWEBER
Ok, I just stumbled upon this, so let me set the record straight.

Matt is ONE of my favorite performers. He was mentioned in Max Ent 2.0 specifically because his style -- as a close-up, strolling magician -- is so different, but I've seen him work frequently and I can tell you that lay audiences love him. He gets tons of repeat gigs, for good money.

It's terrific that he acknowledges "Performing on stage is a weakness for me." If only more magicians had that attitude! Know your strengths, work on your weaknesses. (And every performer has weaknesses.)

K
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Well said - nice to see this reply, Odds are against “some” folks above responding. It is always those that work, get paid and post videos that catch some heat. Nothing wrong with feedback, that is expected, good or bad. 100-% agree- nothing wrong with constructive criticism. It should be welcome as it should be, in most cases, Magicians helping Magicians no? Funny as I talk to many people on Mondays who tell me they watch Sunday football all day . They go on and on how the Quarterback sucks, the plays were bad, and on and on. It’s pretty amazing to be a professional armchair quarterback ......although the pay sucks.
sileeni
View Profile
Veteran user
UK.
361 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Hi,
Right at the end of the video, Im seeing you, sat in your office chair and talking about your performance.
You had, in my opinion, the only thing missing from your act, Music.
I always use music for my entrance and the same music for my exit.
I have music from the moment I ask for a volunteer until they join me onstage. As they walk off I say "give a big hand for ........." and at that moment music kicks in as they exit the stage back into the audience.
Then sometimes I will have low key music, similar to the one played in your office, to kill any deadspots of silence on stage if Im peforming a trick like the torn and restored newspaper.
Also maybe avoid turning your back to the audience and bring your table too the stage. Also that way, it doesn't look like your reading a list of what to do next.
Its clear you have confidence and skills on stage.
Go for it.

Best Wishes,

Sileeni.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2020, furmanmatt wrote:
Lol. You should read Maximum Entertainment 2.0. Ken put me in the book as an example. I happen to be his favorite performing magician. I have been hired for Ken's family events many times.

He talks about your unusual style of closeup and says how it works well for you. I totally agree.

He would tear apart the show you posted here.

Send him the link.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Full Stage Performance at a Corporate Event (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL