The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Jibrizi making misogynistic and Homophobic Comments (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
*TRIGGER WARNING SLURS AGAINST LGBTQ+ an WOMEN*

For those who have not seen my video on crrepiness and misogyny in magic, I'll post it below. TL;DR I call out classic outdated plots in magic as well as magicians who currently perform them as a means to feel up or flirt with women in a non-consentual way. Jibrizi as the thumbnail may indicate is one of those people. Watch the video first then continue on please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLzsNMsvPsc

The response to this video has been overwhelmingly positive and supportive. Magicians and laymen alike have commented and shown their support to remove these outdated and misogynist effects from our performances.

Unfortunately, several people have also commented or reached out telling me I am too soft and that I should just let it go. Jibrizi himself also weighed in on this. He said, "I believed your being to sensitive. Whatever happen to being a ROCKSTAR in magic. Seems like magician have gotten really soft and completely lost their edge in my opinion." He goes on to say, "Everyone in this comment section sound like a bunch of faggots."

Jibrizi recently appeared on Kayla Drescher's podcast - SHAZAM. He was asked about this and his response was extremely disturbing. Rather than put words in his mouth you can check out the podcast and listen for yourself. I encourage you to listen in its entirety for proper context.

https://episodes.castos.com/5f175f65ba5c......zy-2.mp3

I honestly believe he no longer has any proper place in our magic community. He should be shunned. Magic companies need to stop selling his products and/or stop having him promoting their products. Honestly, he has shown over and over again that he doesn't care for anyone but himself. Shame on me for ever having defended him.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
thecromulent
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
206 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Thanks for posting this video. Magic has a long way to go to catch up with the times--racism, sexism, inappropriate jokes and touching, exoticizing other cultures, and on and on.

I'd love to hear Jibrizi's response, but I'd rather not sit through an hour-long podcast. Where do the relevant remarks appear?

Thanks.

Evan
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2020, thecromulent wrote:
Thanks for posting this video. Magic has a long way to go to catch up with the times--racism, sexism, inappropriate jokes and touching, exoticizing other cultures, and on and on.

I'd love to hear Jibrizi's response, but I'd rather not sit through an hour-long podcast. Where do the relevant remarks appear?

Thanks.

Evan

I agree.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1162 Posts

Profile of imgic
Kayla gets right to it, so just a few minutes in she asks him about how he’s promoting sexual assault in his performance. But it’s about the last 10 minutes it goes off the rails. Kayla asks him if he feels it was appropriate to be posting on sites calling others the homophobic f-word. To which he starts throwing the word around like candy...because...get this...he says he’s referring to small sticks. By saying the sound like f-words, he says they sound like small twigs rubbing together, that he finds it the most annoying sound ever. Kayla points out that the word has not been used in that context since the1400s. But he just double sod with, laughing all the time.

Good for Kayla for bringing in on her podcast with an open mind...but then not giving into his obnoxious behavior and calling him on it. And thanks to Michale for calling attention to this issue.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
thecromulent
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
206 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I just listened. His "you're making too big a deal about this, I was only kidding, the world has gone PC-crazy" attitude reminds me of a certain president I could name. The fact that he has the bundle-of-sticks props on his desk, ready to go, tells you all you need to know. The worst.

Despite the regret she mentions at the beginning, I think that Kayla does a terrific job here. She is direct, smart, clear, and focused. My new hero. I think that her pot shots at Michael O'Brien are a little off the mark, but they're forgivable in the context of the huge service that she is doing in confronting this kind of garbage.

Evan
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Loyal user
Randolph NJ
219 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Jibrizy is a punk and everyone knows it. Why is anyone surprised at his moronic behavior?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Jibrizi making misogynistic and Homophobic Comments (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL