The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Care for Feather Flowers (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I wanted to know if there are any resources for the care and storage of feather flowers?

I got some cheep ones that have served me well, but I have never known how to properly maintain and store them.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Andy
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
He doesn't post here on the Café very much , but the go-to guy on feather flowers is Richard Hughes. Hopefully he will see this topic and chime in. (see his work here: http://www.hughesmagic.com/ )

This video by Scott Alexander has some good tips on caring for feather flowers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGmBjsIm0F0

FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Highly recommend Richard Hughes' lecture notes. They are short but packed with RIGHT information. There is a lot of bad info out there, even in books, which can lead to damage (e.g. using steam). Following Richard's recommendations for storage, transportation, and use feather flowers will last the lifetime of the typical performer. Of course, the multi show a day professional will need to repair/replace more often.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Thanks for the info to both of you. I will look into that resource.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You should store the bouquets in a light plastic bag, like a dry cleaners bag they put over dry cleaned garments. Tie off the openings. Common bugs do feed off feathers. They should be stored upside down, hanging from a hook. Leave them in the open position.

If they get out of shape or the flowers get dust on them. Steaming is one way to clean them. Just boil water in a pot or tea pot and steam should clean them up. Be careful not to get the hot steam to close to the feathers. It will burn them and possibly catch fire. I never tired it, as they were not invented yet, but you could get a hand held garment steamer and use that instead of the boiling water. You would have more control over the direction of the steam.

You can store them in sleeve load gimmicks as well, Abbott's Magic sells them. But you would defiantly have to steam them and reshape the wires, if you do, if stored in this manner for a long period of time. The steam besides cleaning them, will also allow you to bring back the curve of the flowers.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Thank you Bill. I appreciate your advice. I got some Styrofoam to put the flowers in when not in use.

I am working on a blooming flower routine.

I got my flowers from a shop called the Mingus Magic Shop.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Great, Mingus Magic makes one of the best feather bouquets, You should ask them for tips on preserving their flowers. Oh, and they have the best prices around. Styrofoam does not help much in my opinion. They need to be hung upside down. Otherwise they will get to much dust and dirt on them. I learned the hard way.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Great, Mingus Magic makes one of the best feather bouquets, You should ask them for tips on preserving their flowers. Oh, and they have the best prices around. Styrofoam does not help much in my opinion. They need to be hung upside down. Otherwise they will get to much dust and dirt on them. I learned the hard way.

Hey Bill I asked the question before I went. The owner gave me about the same as you did.

I had bought a plastic storage box to put them in to keep dust off of them. I have heard different thoughts on upside down or right side up. I might put some both ways just to see what happens

Thanks for your advice. It is always helpful.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2020, Andy Young wrote:
Thanks for the info to both of you. I will look into that resource.

Richard Hughes feather flower lecture notes (and DVD of his Magic Castle lecture) can be found here:

http://www.hughesmagic.com/catalog/misc/booksandvideos.html

Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Thanks David I was able to order both of those. There was a lot of great info in there. Thanks to the other Café members that pointed me there earlier.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Care for Feather Flowers (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL