The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » RIP James "The Amazing Randi" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Sad to hear he passed today
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5153 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
He actually passed yesterday, the cause being attributed to old age. Next to Mark Wilson, James was the first real magician I ever saw and the highlight of my career was performing on stage with him at a very young age. I'll miss my friend.
Where the magic begins
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10099 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
RIP James
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1110 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Legend. Respect.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3473 Posts

Profile of takeachance
He had an amazing life, wishing him the best in his afterlife. Condolences to his family for the loss of this amazing man.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5419 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Indeed sad. He contributed so much to the art, and had a unique style and way about him that was mysterious, respectful, and gentle. If anyone in the world of magic embodied what we all envision a mage to be, it was him.

I never had the honor of meeting Mr. Randi, but maybe next time.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Loyal user
Randolph NJ
236 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I still remember as a kid watching him do the Milk Can escape with Fonzie on Happy Days! Boy, time flies......RIP Randi, you had an amazing life!
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
375 Posts

Profile of Bill
I'm very, very sad at his passing, but I'm very happy too. What an amazing life he led. Full of adventure, teaching, learning, and wisdom. Well done Sir, well done.
User101
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of User101
I met the great man at Blackpool convention in 2009 he posed for a picture in the style of his famous B&W shot of old,great character.

https://imgur.com/MiF9c9X
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
Enjoyed reading a few of the Amazing Randi's books and hearing his stories as an escape artist and magician (cannot imagine performing in the 1970s as Alice Cooper's opening act and decapitating Alice in an illusion..Wow!). H

Here is a well written obituary in the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/obitu......ead.html

Of course, his expose /battle with Peter Popoff and battles with Uri Geller are mentioned in the NY Times article.

I also enjoyed the description of an elderly Randi performing a card trick at his retirement party in 2015. It is always interesting to hear a layperson in the media describe an effect (and not try to expose the real work). This appeared in the following article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/22/us/james-......dex.html

RIP The Amazing Randi.
User101
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of User101
Your NYT link is dead on the site so here is a different one https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/obitu......sition=1
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Thanks User101 for correcting the link.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5153 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There's nothing wrong with the link in the mysterious one's post. All the links referenced work just fine
Where the magic begins
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Well, that is good to hear. I assumed it was wrong since I have my newsblocker on right now and cannot check (I use it to block websites that are distractions when I am trying to get serious work or practice done).

Good magic to all!!!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1365 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Just hearing about this now! There's a beautiful documentary on him that I saw a few years back. It traces his beginnings in magic and escape illusions, and then brings us up to present. One scene that made me laugh was of him talking to a friend; and the camera at his back shows him backpalming a card....(no trick, just Randi messing around). A true magician. Lynn
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4520 Posts

Profile of Sixten
As already stated above: (Ref: The Evil Popoffs) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWcEqCZJByM

May Mr. Randi RIP
Anton4
View Profile
New user
Rensselaer, NY
56 Posts

Profile of Anton4
Very sad to hear. RIP.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » RIP James "The Amazing Randi" (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL