The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » GiR Close-Up Linking Ring Set (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
I have the Ninja+ rings and the Messado rings and am happy with them, but close-up ring routines require superior audience management.

Can anyone give a review of Matthew Garrett's GiR Close-Up Linking Ring Set?

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-......ing-set/

They sold out pretty quickly. Can they really be examined without a switch?
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I'm interested in this item as well. Anyone who bought it willing to chime in? How practical is it?
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
Difficult to answer without divulging the secret.
The size of the ordinary rings is critical, you cannot user
other rings.
It is more a pseudo linck than a real link.
But it wll pass casual inspection.
You need a certain nack doing the move.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Can't wait to get these.

I just donated to Steve's wife's go fund me page. Wishing her the best in her time of medical need.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Well I got this as a Penguin Open Box. It's kind of genius. I don't know why they're being so coy about how it works, but I'm not going to be the one to divulge it.

It is precisely engineered to work with Garrett's linking ring set, and won't necessarily work with other sets. I have the Messado rings which are the same size as Garrett's rings and GiR seems to work with them, although the Messado rings come in carbon black or gold and the GiR rings are silver. And I wouldn't mix the two colors.

The tutorials are superb. It comes with two tutorials totaling almost 3.5 hours, with over 2 hours devoted to GiR and the rest to the regular 4-ring set. The GiR portion is not downloadable.

As others have said, the GiR rings don't perform a genuine link, but the illusion is strong enough that you can pass out the rings for casual examination when linked. But then you can unlink the GiR ring and pass them back out for a thorough examination, which is fantastic for "proving" that you are able to link and unlink solid rings with no gaps.

GiR works best when incorporated into a traditional set of linking rings. Although you can do a 3- or 4-ring routine with the GiR rings and no key ring, you are somewhat limited. You cannot use GiR to link two single rings together, although you can structure a multiple-ring routine so that it looks like you do. But adding GiR to a set with a key ring makes the routine stronger. You can perform pseudo-links and unlinks far away from the key ring, and you can hand out some rings immediately after some links and unlinks. And mixing methods is always good for throwing spectators off balance.

If you work with close-up rings, this is definitely worth a look.
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
Am I the only one with a breakage of the 2 GiRings after a few hours of non violent practice?
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Recently got a set. No problem... Matthew does point out proper positioning of the rings before making "the move" so you don't overly force anything. I have found that getting the rings in the "right" position makes the move much easier and smoother. That said, maybe you have a defective product and can reach out to your vendor.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I ordered mine back in October and still haven't received them? Can anyone who has ordered these tell me what your experience was? When did you order them, from whom, and when did you receive them?

KJ
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
I ordered from Penguin on November 30 and they shipped on December 3. I didn't get them until December 24 because of the horrible US Mail system these days.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2021, CardGuyMike wrote:
I ordered from Penguin on November 30 and they shipped on December 3. I didn't get them until December 24 because of the horrible US Mail system these days.

Thanks. I don't want to say who I ordered from, but I think they forgot about me. They didn't ship them until Jan 13th. I finally got them today.

When I first received them, I must say, I was dissapointed. In my mind, I thought there was something more revolutionary, technology-wise. I actually would have loved for it to be some sort of magnet triggered device. Maybe that will come out one day, probably in larger rings.

However, after watching some of the explanation video (I haven't got but a quarter of the way through the two and a half hour main video), I am warming up to the possibilities.

IMO, We still don't have the Holy Grail of linking rings, but maybe a routine that starts with these rings, then has a good reason to switch the two linked rings for a key ring and a regular ring, would be nice.

KJ
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
I think as magicians we are often disappointed by methods and gimmicks, but in this case I think it is pretty great. Although it may not be revolutionary and in fact it's an old idea, I think the effect as perceived by an audience is tremendous. Have you seen Matthew's live performances yet? There are some where he uses 3 or 4 rings with no key, links and unlinks while handing the rings out for examination. There are many ways to routine this, but you could start with this then introduce a key (either by switching out a ring or just introducing another one) and keep going.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
No, I haven't seen it all yet. I look forward to learning more.
CDenys
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of CDenys
Great product, a lot of pleasure to add it to my ninja rings routine.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
I enjoy Linking Rings,also "Lord of the Rings'
and Jiffy Pop
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2022, e-man wrote:
I enjoy Linking Rings,also "Lord of the Rings'
and Jiffy Pop
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I don't what happened
My Sincere apologies
Smile
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » GiR Close-Up Linking Ring Set (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL