The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » John Mendoza Linking Ring Move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Kokot
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
In the late John Mendoza's "Book of John," the first link (two rings link as they are raised to chin level) in his three-ring routine goes uncredited but is rumored to be a move Ed Marlo used in his own three-ring presentation. The move explained and photographed in Mendoza's book, however, does not match any of the procedures utilized in "Three-Ring Classic," Marlo's 1951 routine eventually published in his and Jon Racherbaumer's "Arcade Dreams."

I would be grateful to know if the Mendoza/(Marlo?) move was published in any source other than "The Book of John." Failing that, any knowledge about this move, as well as any references to Marlo's published thoughts on the Linking Rings, would be welcome.

Thank you for your time and attention.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
So sad we can't ask John.

I miss him.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
John Kokot, Do you know how ridiculous you sound, accusing John Mendoza of plagiarizing Ed Marlo. Who appointed you, the person who names and credits body movements. What you describe is a natural show business rule, in magic as well. Focus your effects near your face, so people will remember and recognize the performer.

John Mendoza was the one of the most creative people in magic. His Book of John was sold so fast, that most did not get a chance to even hear about it before being sold out, at a time when there was no Internet. It is called the Book of John because everything he created is in the book, not other people's routines. As far as I have read from his books, he never built on others material. Everything he created was 100% his creativity. He made a living from performing magic full time. The routines he created, make one wonder, how in world did he come up such a detailed logical routine, that looked like real magic.

Marlo was strictly a card trick inventor. He only dabbled in a few other little things, and the only none card items are published in a limited Magic Magazines. ie: Tops and Genii magazines. You can count the offerings in one hand.
John Kokot
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
Prior to Mr. Mendoza’s passing, I emailed him and asked him the origin of the move. His reply was that he thought it came from an Ed Marlo lecture. My post was an attempt to confirm Mr. Mendoza’s memory. I was not accusing Mr. Mendoza of any ethical lapse. If my question implied that, please accept my apologies for my lack of clarity.

I am aware that Ed Marlo was a seminal cardician. Some wags have suggested that he invented playing cards — or at least claimed credit for it.

I only raised his name in connection with linking rings because of my communication with Mendoza and the following statement by Harry Riser’ in his “Secrets of an Escamoteur”: “I thought I was the first to come up with a routine using only three rings, until I discovered that Ed Marlo in Chicago had independently had the same idea at the same time.”

For the above reasons, I thought my inquiry was prudent. There might be a connection, espoused my Mendoza himself, between Marlo, three-ring routines, and the source of the move itself. If my inquiry was offensive, it was not my intention. My apologies.

Perhaps, in retrospect, I was remiss for not mentioning my email with Mendoza in my initial post. I did not think a private communication was appropriate. Then again, I didn’t think my question would be interpreted as having nefarious intentions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » John Mendoza Linking Ring Move (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL