The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious card (not again!!) - aarrgghh!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Out of curiosity,

Who thinks the Ambitious card should be banned from talking about?

(Note: for the ones who are gonna take this seriousely, it's only meant to be talked about in jest.)

Leave your thoughts guys, pros and cons!
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26975 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I was reading the AC posts... and it struck me...

a good presentation.

Using a card that gets signed after the third repetition.

It took reading all those posts to figure out a decent presentation for the trick. It all hinges on re-framing 'That Pesky Card' into a different context.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
503 Posts

Profile of jcigam
A guy I work with has been showing some interest in magic. He has asked me to lend him some basic books that he might be able to learn some simple effects. The other day he asked me if I knew how to do the trick that David Blane did where the card is place in the middle of the deck and then appears on top (ambitious card). He said that was the best card trick he had ever seen (of course I hadn't ever really shown him anything Smile

Magicians probably tire from a lot of effects that the public love.

Personally I like Ambitious Card. There are so many variations. You can really take this effect and fit it perfectly to the type of performer that you are.

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I see the humor but I feel that the Ambitious card is one of the most entertaining magic tricks that a magician can perform for an audience.

If it is done well the aduance sees a signed card placed in the center of the deck and it rises to the top of the deck. Or goes to the bottom at the will of the magician.

It is one of those card effects that can look like magic like the rising cards. Not

Posted: Jun 11, 2004 4:58pm

-----------------------------------------
One of my kids just jumped on me... What I was saying was not full of moves like many poker deals I do and full of card cutting.

It can look like magic...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I agree, I like it.
it is great for laymen but its talked to death about by magicians.

There's nothing worse than meeting a magician and he does his ambitious routine, because 90% of the time its the same routine as everyone elses.

I have recently swapped it for 'Everywhere and nowhere'
It's similar and even more powerfull and it has many more options for presentation.

Check out Michael vincents routine.you can see it on the international magic lecture.
his presentaion is great!
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1210 Posts

Profile of Michael238
This is the trick that got me interested in card magic.
Maybe the best way to discuss it is to try to take it to another level?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
935 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Quote:
On 2004-06-11 10:15, kukram wrote:
Out of curiosity,

Who thinks the Ambitious card should be banned from talking about?

There are definitely not enough sentences ending in a prepositional cul-de-sac. Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I think this thread has one too many! Smile

The popularity (and also the curse) of ACR is that any magician can create their own 'routine' with little creativity by stringing together existing moves. Kaufman refers to it as a chinese takeaway!

However, I believe a GOOD acr is not a selection of moves but it should have a series of COMPLIMENTING move, each upping the ante on the move before.

E.g.
Card rises to the top of a shuffle deck
Card risies to the top of UNSHUFFLED deck
SIGNED card rises to the top of unshuffled deck.
Signed FACE UP card rise to the top of unshuffled deck etc.

Its got to have an internal narrative otherwise its just a case of "Look What I Can Do...Look What I Can Do...Look What I Can Do...Look What I Can Do...Look What I Can Do...Look What I Can Do...Look What I Can Do..."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26975 Posts

We have a little dog that barks like that. Yip yip yip... and beyond.

IF you are going to show off being clever... find a context that will get their attention.

Just this morning on the way to work it struck me... and the seed of a cute presentation was planted. So far I can think of two good ways to do the trick. Neither of which involve any focus on a card rising by magic to the top of the deck. If I had set out to figure out such a thing I would have considered it ambitious. Since I did not... just lucky Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4829 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Am I an anomaly? I don't perform the ACR for spectators. A long time ago I did and the reaction was good. However there are so many better effects IMO and you only have a limited number you are going to show someone so ACR basically doesn't make the cut anymore for me. The closest thing to it that I will perform is Apex Ace from CUCM which is a Frank Garcia effect.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Maybe there should be a whole forum for the ACR discussions.

or maybe start up a whole new magic Café called' themagiccafe2 dedicated entirely to the ambitious card.

or even better a whole search engine dedicated to the ambitious card routine
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
935 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Larry,

Have you ever seen Tommy Wonder perform his routine?

I have seen many ambitious card routines, more notably Daryl's, and really like them. It was not until Tommy Wonder and made me realize, yet again, that giving each effect time to register and breathe can be more important than 35 redundant phases. His is miracle material, while employing no revolutionary moves--he has what is, in my opinion, the best Ambitious card routine in existance.

--Ron
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
it is great for laymen but its talked to death about by magicians.

kukram,
I disagree. The routine gets a lot of attention to METHOD but very little is said about presentation.

WHY does the card rise to the top of the deck?

The trick is pure effect but it really needs a new presentation. Modern audiences don't think the card is "ambitous" any more than they believe that the Ace Of Spades weighs more because it has more ink on it.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4829 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Hi Ron,
I have seen Tommy Wonder's ACR and like everything he does, he is masterful at it. For my own performances I prefer effects that are not in the realm of "catch me if you can" or "you're not watching closely enough". Just my style.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I have heard everyone, on these two topics, talk about the importance of presentation but have heard almost no one mention any ideas on how to improve our presentation other than to look at some other magician’s routines. I know that a professional does not want to give away their ideas lest one of us newbies steal it, but, come on, someone could write something. Or should we just log off and begin ruminating on motivation and presentation and admit that we aren't going to do much about it here.
Chris
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26975 Posts

Some of us have been offering support for folks to explore presentation frames for tricks here on the Café for over a year now. There are a few folks acting to nurture the basic solution to the problem you mention. Would you care to join the effort?
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I am not sure what I can do, but If I don't try I won't know. But I don't do the ACR very often so it is not part of my everyday thoughts. But you got me thinking about the C&Bs, so I guess I could have a go.
Chris
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
I don't do ambitious card because I can't find a proper presentation on it. I'm thinking and thinking and don't have a clue what I should talk about to make it fit my style. I'd really like to put a decent ACR together. Larry Jennings' "7-up" has some cool ideas in it and the chapter in expert card technique also inspires. So I'll keep puzzling, putting things together and if I finally have a decent presentation, I'll have a great trick in my arsenal.
Deal cards, not drugs!
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Ny the way,..

the ace of spades DOES weigh more coz it has more ink on it!
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
The AC is tooooooo simple an effect... An effect. There are complicated mechanics, but its (AC workings and variations) all generally simple.

Simple magic always hits hard...

What may be interesting to you may not be interesting to the lay person...

but what may be really arousing to you right now may come off as something forgettable in the eyes of a layperson...

Let people who want to talk about ACR go on..... but in the mean time go out and find out how many lay people are bored of seeing the trick where the card goes from the center to the top..... :-b

;)
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ambitious card (not again!!) - aarrgghh!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL