The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Exciting news..Restaurant Magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Received an unexpected phone call from the owner of one of my restaurant gigs minutes ago.
He said that some customers were asking about the magician and he was explaining to them that he
didn't know how well I would be received in the middle of the virus fiasco.

Anyway he wants me to come back and see how it goes with precautions of course. He is all for it for now.

I'll be starting next Friday evening and give an update on how it went. Now if I can get the other 3 restaurants
to feel the same way, that would be great.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
Good luck DP!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3241 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Do you know what precautions will be taken? Not being able to put anything on the table or in a spectator's hands would eliminate a lot of of my repertoire.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oddly enough we have found that the transmission of this surface to surface is NOT really a factor in spreading this virus! It is SO FRUSTRATING!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2020, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Do you know what precautions will be taken? Not being able to put anything on the table or in a spectator's hands would eliminate a lot of of my repertoire.

We have no idea. I talked to the owner about performing effects that don't involve the patrons. He had some other ideas as well that
I didn't think practical.

Rope routine, Chop cup with the carrying bag as a mat. Hot rod routine, Peeked card to wallet or pocket.
I can have some one just think of a card and I can print their name on it and perform CTIL.
Book test, Great Gatsby by Theory 11. No touching by spectator. There should be a ton of effects from a distance.

This is truly experimental and I have no idea what to expect. I may get shut down by the patrons, but the owner wants to give it a try.
We shall see. Yes I will be wearing a face mask of course.( On a side note I agree with Danny on this whole virus scenario but hey!!!)
I may get arrested too
Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9004 Posts

Profile of funsway
Years ago I constructed a performing table from walker and tray that fits over the handles.
Readily available and put on backwards it makes a fine , mobile performing device acceptable in a restaurant.

I added an artist drawer set to raise the top and provide place for storing small items and create a servante - Mat fits on top
and a foldable stool on the side since I can't stand for long.

Point is that one does not have to give up 'table top' effects.

Used walker about $5.00-$10. Tray $15.00 from Amazon - Bluestone Walker Tray- Upright with 2 Cup Holders-Universal Table Fits Most Standard Folding Walkers
Art drawer - Amazon $30 - US Art Supply 3-Drawer Artist Wood Pastel, Pen, Marker Storage Box

I even added a bicycle bag and hooks to hang item beneath the drape made from a table cloth.
I had 23 props available not counting coin gaffs.

Best part - even before COVID is that people politely got out of the way when I moved around.
Of course, I am disabled and normally use a cane.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
438 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
We have a restaurant where I live that already has 2 magicians working in it. Everyone is happy to have them come table side.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thanks funsway for your input. In most restaurants I work it‘s tough enough navigating just by myself.
I can just see a patron tripping over the set-up. I appreciate your suggestion.

Yes I’m hoping I will be well received. I will report back for those that are curious
Madman13
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Madman13
Good luck.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of David French
Great news indeed! I have been back a couple of places too. I was shocked at the reception I received. Everyone was very receptive and it was almost as if there was no virus at all. Of course I wear a mask and take extra time to introduce myself, asking if they are okay I come close, touch props. So far, I have not had to change a thing. I work on their table with a close up mat and in the hands material.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2020, David French wrote:
Great news indeed! I have been back a couple of places too. I was shocked at the reception I received. Everyone was very receptive and it was almost as if there was no virus at all. Of course I wear a mask and take extra time to introduce myself, asking if they are okay I come close, touch props. So far, I have not had to change a thing. I work on their table with a close up mat and in the hands material.

That's encouraging. Cautiously optimistic.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of David French
Hi David,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Folks that do go out seem to be less cautious by nature. However, if you (and I know you will) show respect and consideration for the guests and staff, you will be good. Follow the guidelines like everyone else...Every area and venue are different. I live in a fairly rural area so that may make a difference.

One thing I did do is pack an instand table. Small tripod table. Just in case folks did want me to stand back and do hands off distanced tricks. I never used it, but have it.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
UPDATE!!
After 8 months I was back in the saddle. It was a little strange in that I'm used to a very busy
restaurant, to half occupancy, and "no sitting at the bar". Obviously a lot more challenges and sensitivity to my acceptance into patron's personal space. BUT it went well. Like David French mentioned above, I was well received and people seemed eager to have a distraction not only from the
virus but from the election (so called).

I wore a mask and most of not all were eager to participate after asking of course. I performed my tried and true, blank piece of paper to million dollar bill. Loose ends rope routine, CTW, some coin routines,3 fly and Gertner's Familiar Ring without a finger ring, hot rod. For the kiddies, rabbit from hat silk routine. I found that people were just eager to talk and carry on a coversation.

This was a trial, in that the owner wanted to get a feel and am glad to say he wants me to come back
On a regular basis. I will say that I cut my fee because of the restrictions of occupancy and because they probably couldn't justify my regular fee. It was just really nice being in the restaurant setting again.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of David French
GREAT news. Glad to hear it!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Exciting news..Restaurant Magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL