The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » DVDs or Books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bfrancabandera
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bfrancabandera
Hi Everyone. I am new to the Magic Cafe as well as new to card magic. I have a heard from many people that books are the best way to learn card magic. But it seems a lot more difficult to try to learn something from a book than it does from a DVD. Any thoughts would be helpfull. Thanks.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I like books myself. There are more opportunities to read books than to watch DVD's. I do like DVD's, but I prefer books.
ME
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you're new, I'd start with a DVD. I would STRONGLY suggest the Michael Ammar card miracles. That will get you excited about the magic, show you how you can present effects, and teach you some real classics.

Then start getting books as you can afford them. You do not need to go hog wild getting tons of books of tricks, you'll go broke. Get books on misdirection and theory.

There are a lot of books on card slights that are dirt cheap, get as many of those as you can afford.

You can also pick up used videos/DVDs/books from here and everywhere.

If you want more suggestions on books, vidoes, DVDs, pm me.

frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
dboeren
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
16 Posts

Profile of dboeren
My personal opinion is that DVDs are better for learning sleights. Books definately have a place too, they are excellent for learning history, tips, tricks, and other material.

I recommend Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights for this purpose, they are very well organized and everything is presented clearly.

I would hold off on a tricks video until you can at least do basic sleights or else all you might have is a fun show to watch and knowledge of tricks that you can't actually perform yet.
woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
I prefer to start with a book that provides a large selection. I try to learn the sleights from the descriptions, giving them a significant period of time - (i.e. not just ten minutes of half-hearted trying.) As I find ones that really interest me, or ones that totally confuse me, I ask my good friends at the Cafe' for recommendations on what video covers the sleights that are troubling or of particular interest. The video then provides me with the visual learning, tailored to what I need, and I get extra material on the video as well.

- Britt

Smile Smile
Friends are our chosen family.

- Britt -
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2002-07-25 14:50, Bfrancabandera wrote:
Hi Everyone. I am new to the Magic Cafe as well as new to card magic. I have a heard from many people that books are the best way to learn card magic.

Ask yourself if there is any card magician in the world (past or present)that is highly regarded that learned the bulk of his magic arsenal primarily from video.

You may not agree, but I think you can guess my opinion.
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
While Randy is certainly correct, the availability of books is obvious--otherwise Gengis Khan would have gone to the video store to rent a video or DVD on how to use a sword....just kidding. Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
"Ask yourself if there is any card magician in the world (past or present)that is highly regarded that learned the bulk of his magic arsenal primarily from video."

Just give it a few more years Randy, lol.

At least you can read books while sat waiting somewhere, on a bus, train, car, plane journey, hotel bedroom, on the beach etc. Try that with your DVD or videotape!

Paul.
dboeren
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
16 Posts

Profile of dboeren
Videos have only been around a short time, and I'll bet the early ones weren't very good either. One poster in another thread had a good point. Watching a video is similar to watching a magician perform live. How many great magicians do you think learned a lot from watching other great magicians perform?

Hey, if you have a laptop computer it's pretty easy to watch a DVD on the go. There are portable DVD players too with 5-7 inch folding screens.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Okay, I can be less dramatic. I find things that work without electricity to be more practical.

I have no particularly vivid hatred of video tapes- if you feel they help you, fine.

Books are a far better value. Can you imagine "Bobo's" or "Close-up Card Magic" on video?

There are terrific things "buried" in books. If you choose not to read them, chances are very good you'll never find them.

Books are not "easy" to learn from in many cases- but, if you don't start, you are just cheating yourself.

Whoever said "easy to master" should be thrown into a volcano. There is no such thing. Same with "self-working." If you use something that is truly self-working, what does that make you?
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I would think that a decision of which is better (books or videos) is highly dependent on the individual and his/her learning style. While I read novels and such, I find it exceptionally difficult to "learn" from a book. I would very much rather sit down and watch a well-produced video.

As for the comments about no highly regarded magicians (past or present)learning from video or DVD, I'd suggest that a large number of them didn't primarily learn from books either. Many of the greats learned from working with other magicians and "thinking" up their own signature-effects that eventually elivated them to legendary status.
William Holcomb
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
There are many many more books written on card magic (and magic in general) then there are videos (DVD or VHS). You will, at some point, want to read some the great card magic books out there.

I think if you were starting out in card magic, DVD would be the way to go initially. Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights would be an excellent way to start, as would Easy to Master Card Miracles. It is much easier to learn a sleight by watching it then by reading it.

Also, being able to see effects presented and routined by a pro (such as Ammar in the ETMCM series) is a definite advantage. Timing,rhythm and audience interaction cannot easily be taught in written form.

Once you have some basic sleights down and know a few routines, you can start into the vast array of card books available. I seen it said that a magician needs to know one really good Double Lift, False Shuffle, Card Control and Force. You may consider starting there.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Kard16
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Kard16
I think that DVD's are best used to learn sleights but books will take the sleights that you learn and will give you ideas of other effects. Basiclly, get down all the basic sleights, and then go to books.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
dboeren said;
Videos have only been around a short time, and I'll bet the early ones weren't very good either.

The early ones weren't that good?
Perhaps that is why some were repackaged and re-released recently! L & L put out again the old Videonics range which included Martin Nash, Gary Ouellet etc.

Don't kid yourself. The early ones weren't mass marketed for the masses and simplified for complete beginners. There were some great early tapes, some of the newer ones are diabolical! Old stuff reworked yet again with the presenter of the month.

re;
"Hey, if you have a laptop computer it's pretty easy to watch a DVD on the go. There are portable DVD players too with 5-7 inch folding screens."

You're less likely to get mugged for a book! And someone sat next to you won't be able to see and hear secrets being revealed! lol.

Paul.
Bfrancabandera
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bfrancabandera
Thank you all for your responses. I can see that the answer to this question depends on the individual who is doing the learning. I have Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 1-3 and I plan on getting the Encyclopedia of Card slieghts by Daryl. After that I feel that books will probably be the best for me; you sure do get more for your money.
TOBIAS
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle Magic
221 Posts

Profile of TOBIAS
DVD's you can see it being done.
Book have stuff that will kick you in the head.
The thing is learn however you need then remember to go buy a book cuase S.W.E. will never be on DVD...
Smile
Be true to your art, and it will be true to you
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
I have a few situations where I have the routine in a book *and* on a tape! Now that's really ideal!
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Before DVDs and videos, most of the "real-time" learning was done through mentors, teachers and just sessioning with friends and acquaintances who "got" the knack of the sleight. This type of learning was around WAY before books. Now that it's in an electronic form, it has become very convenient (though sorely lacking in corrective feedback of a live human).

I feel books are great for DETAIL, to understand the finer points and other minutiae.

I feel DVDs/videos are great for witnessing the timing and understanding the "look" of a difficult sleight or move (so you can compare it to what you see in the practice mirror). Remember learning something difficult, such as split fans, from a manip book and then seeing someone do it really well LIVE (btw, we miss you, Neil Foster)? It was almost a shock to actually witness the beauty of it done well even though I was familiar with the mechanics.

DVDs/books/sessioning used together can be a very effective learning combo. Don't shun ANY type of learning if you can help it.

To answer the question of "DVDs or books?"...YES!
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » DVDs or Books? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL