The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Invisible Deck routine alternatives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
65 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
Hi guys, I've found bits & bobs here & there in different threads, but am looking for the best source(s) of Invisible Deck routine alternatives that you've come across, & what you love about them.

I find myself guilty of overusing the tired & tested standard version of getting a spectator to shuffle an invisible deck, & I quite often cringe at myself when I make the gag about "oh, you'd have to open the box first, mate", or about them dropping cards, etc. (but they do work stupidly well for most general audiences though... =P) Of course, am constantly trying to add my own nuances to try & to make it "original", but I won't overshare just yet, unless anyone is interested in the comments.

Sometimes I use the "dream" routine, not so much as a dream story but essentially where I produce the deck first, before a free selection is made. Sometimes by an individual, sometimes a group effort, going round the room, or in a big circle &/or all other forms of convolutions to arrive at an "impossible" prediction basically. My favourite memory was probably the time I used the ID to jump the queue for my friends & me at a Tiki bar. It was raining & I walked straight up to the bouncer, who had an ace of spades on his ring, so I said "mate, you look like a gambling man, can I make you a deal? If you can name any one card in a deck of cards, & it's the same one I flipped over before walking over here to you, you have to let us all in ok?" I'll never forget his reaction that evening, the ten of clubs he said. We had a great night out.

In my work, I almost always pack an ID in my right inside jacket pocket. Initially, it was for an emergency out when things didn't quite go according to plan with a trick or reveal, but over a decade in performing professionally now, I have built many different ways to recover, & much (MUCH) less instances of stuffing up a trick anymore these days anyway. These days the ID is reserved for a "cherry on top" moment at a gig. Sometimes to close a set with a big party group, sometimes as a bit more of an intimate presentation for a small select few, who are left absolutely bewildered & often exclaim something like "oshiii ***, more people should've seen this!" The word of mouth that spreads after, & the exaggeration from selective memory has an IMMENSE spill-on effect on others after I've left... Smile

Something that I do sometimes is if there is a pool table available, & I use an ID with a miscoloured regular deck. Use magician's force to get the spectator to choose the regular deck & spread the cards out face down on the table. The ID stays either on the edge surface of the table, or for safekeeping with another audience member. Rather than having a card chosen, I get a spectator to choose a ball, & get someone else to break. The card that is closest to the selected ball is turned over, & then basically we reveal the match with the ID. One of my favourite presentations when the opportunity arises, but it's a bit convoluted & takes a bit of investment from the audience, so it has to be the right opportunity to execute.

Just wondering what the best resources for researching even more alternatives for this absolutely amazing piece of utility in any magician's arsenal.

Cheers, everyone! Smile
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
The pool thing sounds amazing.

"They're psychic" works well, especially with other things where they read your mind. Hilarious that the bouncer went for it.

Are you psychic? You look a bit psychic. <joke here>.
I tell you what, try and read my mind. <joke here>.
I've got a deck of cards here, but you knew I was going to say that, didn't you?
Earlier on, I turned one of the cards around in the deck. It's not an obvious one. But I might just be saying that to throw you off. I'm a bluffer. So which card do you think it is?
Three of spades? Let's see...
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I use the 52 on 1 gag card as my lead in, being my prediction.
When they name their card, I tell them I had already turned over a card in the deck
that has been on the table the entire time.

Simple, but it gets a laugh and an amazing finish!

Mark
Haruspex
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Haruspex
For stage Luke Jermay has a nice version in his 3510 book, the effect is as follows
A deck of cards given to a spectator in the front row, next the entire audience is asked to mentally decide on a playing card.
A random spectator is selected to come on stage. The performer shows that one card turned over in the deck and asks the spectator to take it out of the deck but keep it face down. Then the spectator is asked to reveal out-loud the card they have in mind. when the look at the card they are holding, and show it to the audience, it matches.

Jay Sankey has a nice 2 deck version on his "Boris Pocus Extremely Mental" DVD where the spectator selects 1 of 2 decks, the performer takes the other deck behind his back, cuts it a few times and puts one card upside-down in the center. The spectator does the same with his deck.
The performer then spreads through his deck to show that indeed one card is turned over, and it is taken out. Then the spectator also spreads through his deck and takes out the card he/she turned over. when they are both turned over, the cards match.

I like these presentations over the standard version because in both versions the performer takes out the card first, before the spectator reveals/shows their selection
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1687 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The Inevitable by Mark Elsdon is well taught in his first Penguin Lecture. This is Elsdon's take on the invisible deck that is solid.

His lecture was a Cool Box deal a week ago that also has his Pre-Pre-figuration routine. It's so good and easy that I've already added to my repertoire. His explanation of Kurtz's slip force subtly is gold. I haven't even gotten to his mentalism yet or his work on equivoque.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1718 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
As a Professional Corporate entertainer I sometimes use a tossed out deck routine with ID wrapped in rubber bands etc, there is lots of comedy and audience interaction. Plays very strong with excellent reaction.

For a change I also use a Jumbo ID..Great for visibility...Copperfield did some TV specials years ago with Jumbo ID..
cheers
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2020, Haruspex wrote:
For stage Luke Jermay has a nice version in his 3510 book, the effect is as follows
A deck of cards given to a spectator in the front row, next the entire audience is asked to mentally decide on a playing card.
A random spectator is selected to come on stage. The performer shows that one card turned over in the deck and asks the spectator to take it out of the deck but keep it face down. Then the spectator is asked to reveal out-loud the card they have in mind. when the look at the card they are holding, and show it to the audience, it matches.

Jay Sankey has a nice 2 deck version on his "Boris Pocus Extremely Mental" DVD where the spectator selects 1 of 2 decks, the performer takes the other deck behind his back, cuts it a few times and puts one card upside-down in the center. The spectator does the same with his deck.
The performer then spreads through his deck to show that indeed one card is turned over, and it is taken out. Then the spectator also spreads through his deck and takes out the card he/she turned over. when they are both turned over, the cards match.

I like these presentations over the standard version because in both versions the performer takes out the card first, before the spectator reveals/shows their selection

Are you sure about this? I am not familiar with either effect, but from the descriptions it sounds unlikely the card is removed from the ID before spectator reveals their card (randomly selected / thought of).

BUT I do know of one effect that works as described. I think it is called DO AS I DID. By Darwin Ortiz maybe???
Spectator chooses a card (unseen) at random from a deck under the table.
Magician removes a single reversed card from ID.
Both cards are turned over together - they match.

This is a great presentation because the ID is safely back in the magician's pocket before either card is revealed. (And the one card he removes is of course examinable on its own. Also the other deck is totally examinable).
I won't reveal the method (obviously!) - but just say the magician is able to secretly identify the spectator's card.
Haruspex
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Haruspex
I'm not familiar with the Darwin Ortiz effect but it sounds the same as the Sankey effect I described.

and yes, in both effects the audience gets to see the prediction (card from the ID) before the selection of the participant shows or announces their selection.
Sean Mann
View Profile
Regular user
Essex, UK
118 Posts

Profile of Sean Mann
Darwin Ortiz's Do As I Did is a great use of an ID. It's on his "At The Card Table Vol 2". Jamie Daws teaches a wonderful mentalism routine utilizing an ID called "Glass Half Full" on his Distance Alakazam Academy.
SamuraiStag
View Profile
New user
Australia
14 Posts

Profile of SamuraiStag
James Brown suggested a ballsy routine where you give the deck to a spectator and tell them to fan the cards out and remember any card then close it back up and pass it back. A subtle deck flip when you put the cards down and you're set for the reveal. (Highly recommend looking into James Brown's thoughts on Misdirection.)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Checkout the booklet "Invisible Secrets Revealed".
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
861 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Derren Brown has a great routine in Pure Effect using an Invisible Deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Invisible Deck routine alternatives (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL