We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » EA Advisor Throws In Towel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I have just read a post on the Against The Tide thread (well done again Paul) and I just wanted to say that it is such a shame that it appears we have driven away one of the greats among us from pointless cat fights and one-up-manship.

Another great EA has recently joined us and I hope that this is not a trend and we drive him away too.

As I'm talking on this subject, I would also like to wish James and Stuart good luck and (I hope) a safe return to the EA community at some point. A real shame that both of you have decided to step aside for a while, especially as the UK EA community is so small as it is.

Just a few thoughts on this last weeks events.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hi Roslyn,

If it is me you are referring to, I plan to still post but I really have no time at all for trying to make sense to many members of the EA community who seem to think of only one manufacturer, one source for equipment, one "guru", etc.

Hey, if people want to close thier minds to others who offer sound advice based on experience, then who am I to argue? I for one have better things to do.

There are indeed some very nice folks on this board and then again there are some who would rather it be all about them, the way they say things should be done, and thier products and "creations".

Fine. Who cares really? Perhaps it is this very thing that has contributed to many in the art dropping out of late. If this is so, then the so called "gurus" are really doing more harm to escapes than good.

If egos were experience and actual ability, and claimed creativity, hype and the pressure of peer groups really mattered for anything, then escapology in our time would be something indeed to be appreciated and sought after by audiences.

Sadly, this is not the case.

I sincerely hope this post stands and is not removed or altered by the moderators who do thier best to ensure things around here are kept sane and level. I have come to personally believe that they do a rather good job considering all they are faced with.

Regarding this post, I am not raging or flaming against anyone by name. Rather, I am giving an accurate and fair commentary on the "real world" of escapology and many of those who inhabit it.

After spending the better part of my life in escapes I feel I am fully within my rights to do so.

Regards, Steve Santini
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
WOW! We read too much in posts. Please remember I'm a smart butt and as such if anyone has an issue with my posts, just laugh and be ammused. that's what I usually try conveying in them.

Steve, I assume the escaporium ill be occupying most of your time as its getting to tourist season?
http://www.escaporium.com

I hope that's the reason, I shudder to think that you allow people to bother you enough to leave this group. Remember all the magic Café is is a huge magic club or convention. Everyone has a theory, and no one hesitates to speak it. ME included.

All I can offer is this. Some of us work, some of us don't. Some of us invent, and some of us just buy secrets. We steal, we cheat, we create, and enlighten. Use the group, don't allow yourself to be used!

TTFN,

See you in august.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hi Scott,

You are somewhat correct in your assumption.

Between The Escaporium and my own shows and creating and building new effects for myself, there is precious little time for much else.

This is what living in the "real world" is all about! I am sure you and a few others fully understand.

Cheers, Steve
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Yeah tell me about it. I AM CREATING A STAGE SHOW! I have a new promoter who believes in me. I am getting many corporate gigs, and Peter (My promoter, I like saying that) think I need to define who and what I do. So theres a ton of stuff floating around now. I just hope in time it all pans out. A stage show would be nice, if done right! that's the key, I see mentalists popping up all over Chicago with stage show that are laughable. No one defines their show or themselves.

Anyways, congratulations on everything! The "real world" is a scary place...
rch129
View Profile
New user
FL
50 Posts

Profile of rch129
Dr

I will be in Chicago next Thurs and Fri, anything worth seeing?
Roy
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Friday, theres supernatural chicago at Excaliber nightclub ran by neil tobin. I can not say anything about it. He's a nice guy, but I haven't seen it. Also check out mindcramp.com chris carter is an awesome mentalist and definately worth seing.

I think I might be doing some street work, but that's it.
Lloyd McDonald
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lloyd McDonald
A great site Steve-

Although I was a little disappointed not knowing where to click to see Cindini. Smile
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the compliment.

Cindini will be up here the first weekend of August. If you come up too you can meet her in person.

No need to click on anything that way!

Cheers, Steve Santini
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Steve you do have some nicely designed web sites.

http://www.stevesantini.com
and
http://www.escaporium.com

both with a lot of pictures and interesting material! I would love to see an online exhibition of the restraints. Seems like an awesome idea, and you might be able to charge a couple of bucks for passwords to access a restricted visitors site....

Just a thought.
Lloyd McDonald
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lloyd McDonald
Thanks for the invite Steve.
Tis unfortunate that most of my vacation time has already clicked away. Maybe next year, if they still let Yanks into Canada. Smile

Best to you and your museum!
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
I too don't understand the idea of "one" way of presentation.

Logic and observation should show how flawed it is.

What would happen to Music if everyone did Boy George?

Illusions are dying because everyone is doing Copperfield.

Escapes died because everyone did Houdini.

People, and to wit, audiences, have varied tastes, performances should reflect that.

My truth might not be your truth, as perhaps I am not playing where you are.

But it is good to remember that minds are like parachutes, they work best when opened.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I can't agree more, Mark. The key to any form of entertainment is BE YOURSELF AND DO IT YOUR WAY.

I once saw a British music hall fire resister/escape artist who did a tongue-in-cheek act, and whose finale was to get chained and sumerge himself into a large animal trough full of water. An assistant poured kerosene on the surface and set it ablaze. In a few moments, the performer SURGED out (putting out most of the flaming slick in that action) holding up the chains triumphantly as the assistant took a fire extinguisher to any remaining flames.

How many times have you seen that routine?

This guy was being himself.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Well, in terms of "who we are" that is key.

We all have rules of entertainment that must apply, but Mark Wilson is different from Doug Henning is different from David Copperfield is different from David Blaine.

When we bring that concept to light we move things forward.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » EA Advisor Throws In Towel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL