The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bird names anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
I just got two female doves today? I just can't think of any female names though. Where do I put their food and water? They can't climb the cage can they? I had them for about three hours and they have not moved yet without me really moving them. They have not eaten or drunk yet. Are they just getting used to the place?

thanks Michael
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Michael, whenever you change the environment of the doves, they'll suffer a litte trauma. They have to get used to their new living quarters. It's nothing to worry about. You can put their food and water in cups hanging from the side of the cage or on the floor. Just make sure the perch is not over them. They'll do their business in them. They won't climb the cage like a parrot but they will fly about and may hang for bit.
Are you sure they are both females. Naming them is part of the fun, at least for me. I used to find gender specific names but I was usually wrong so I went with snowball, gizmo, wingding and names like that. The ones with gender specific names could be either male or female like Pat, izzy, micky, and alex.
Where the magic begins
magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
Thanks good thing you told me that I had there perch over the food. I bought a dove book but is not very useful. I got their wings clipped, but I'm going to let them grow back and not clip there wings again. can they still fly to the perchs. The cage is 20in by 20in wide and 29in in height.
Thanks Dave.

thanks mike
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yup. clipping only slows them down. It doesn't prevent flight. They will actually hop from one perch to another in a cage that size.
Where the magic begins
magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
Thanks do you know any good dove magic websites
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Lot's of performers have web sites but I don't think they're are any sites devoted just to dove magic. At least I can't think of any.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For about thirty years I have stuck with the same two names for white doves on stage. One is Spot and the other is Rover. I do often get them confused. (What you you expect from a magician?)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
I visted the hotline is was very helpfull
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Gentlemen,

I'm glad you enjoyed the Dove Hotline. When I first started that over six years ago, I could find no help for dove magicians on the Internet. Fortunately, Tony Clark was added this year. He brings a lot of new blood and ideas to the field. (He and I had some of the same training decades apart. I'm sure we both wake from our sleep hearing Tony Slydini saying, "Count! Count! Count!" Tony thought the whole world ran on 66 beats per minute.)

I have slacked off this year to finish two books by fall. One I started in 1983 and it is time I finished it! It will be only about dove magic. Michael Baker (the only man to ever have two One-Man Parades published in Linking Ring) will be making contributions to the book too. Michael writes on The Magic Café also. His card work blows me away on a regular basis.

Yes, dove names are in the book.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
Good luck on your books. I look forward to seeing it in the magic shop.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
My dad always called the rooster (yes chickens)
he used in his act Sam. Even tho I would give
them different names it was always Sam.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Marshall,

Your dad would like this post. It's about Matilda, the world's oldest chicken. And she does magic!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......13&1

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
I recommend naming them a name that kids can relate to like Snowwhite and like Princess. Or something like that kids can relate to if you perform for little kids between 2-8.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
007mystic
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
63 Posts

Profile of 007mystic
MY doves name is Larry.....Lary Bird.
The weaver of Illusions
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
My doves are named after famous magicians such as David Copperfield, Lance Burton, Houdini,...etc. It gets a great laugh everytime I produce one and announce "This is my little helper, David Copperfield"
I actually had another magician come up after a recent performance and mention how "my Cofferfield" can fly without the seven year developed, half million dollar illusion....great laughs, slap a knee! Anyway, Celebrity names work well. When I add a duck to my show I am planning on calling it Aflac (short for Ben Aflack) and a second duck would of course be Jennifer for J.Lo or Jennifer Garner... think of the music possiblities J.Lo's music or even the Alias Theme song) and how much you can tie in current Hollywood trends and scandals into your show. I have a friend who has developed patter for a popular card routine while tying in Bush vs. Kerry themes...I hope this helps...remember yes they are our pets as well as a part of the show...have fun with the names and the audience will have fun as well.
Magically,
Bryan Gilles
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
One is Spot and the other is Rover.

Funily enough when I first got my doves my dad why don't you call it rover, the barking dove and do a vent bit, I thought no way, who would call a dove rover? Well Bob you've done it again. lol. I don't really like the idea of calling them celebrities, imagine if your doing a show and the birds are just sat their complaining, I wanted flowers and chocolate, and I wanted a pink room and I wanted a playstation.

On the hotline:
In England they responded at all the right points. (Probably their theater etiquette.)
Hehe Tony makes me laugh!

Before I got doves I always used to go on the hotline and dream of owning doves, guess some dreams come true.

Do you think the 20 sec theory maybe one day the 1sec theory?

sorry to go off topic a little, But all my doves are called Donald.

Matt
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Thelma and Louise, may be dated but will get a chuckle from some people, and could be a good joke point. They jumped off a cliff and just flew away. You are not doing kids' shows are you? Smile

Laura and Barbara hang out with the Bushes.
Lucy and Ethel can't keep a straight face or beak.

Enough already. Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I have a few name "Huey, Duey, & Luey". Named after some cartoon ducks.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Bird names anyone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL