We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Product Review - Creative Collective by Dave Loosley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1763 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I recently saw that Dave Loosely has released his lecture notes as a digital download. So I searched to see if there were any threads about it and to my surprise, there wasn’t. These notes aren’t what I would call traditional notes, in that, it feels like a complete little book of fully formed, fully fleshed out effects explained in full depth. There is nothing’ note like’ at all about them.

I’ve known Dave for a long time now but beyond our friendship, I have a true respect and admiration for his magic. I have attended his lecture, as a spectator many times and each time I always learn something new. His material is quirky, interesting, clever and commercial.

So, here is a full rundown and review of these notes. I will be completely honest about what I thought about them the first time I read them!

The first effect explained is ‘Plastic Roulette’, Now, I, like many magicians and mentalists, LOVE roulette plots. They are interesting, sometimes scary and always involve that true element of risk that people thrive to see. But the issue with most Roulette routines is, the danger is on the part of the performer. What Daves routine does so cleverly is, make the spectator care more about the outcome because it involves a personal object of theirs. Also, at the end of the routine, there is a cleverly thought out twist in which, they think it’s gone right but in fact, it appears to have gone wrong but then he rectifies it. It is just structures so beautifully. In terms of method, he has taken an old principle and created an entirely new presentation with it so whilst the method feels familiar, the effect feels entirely new and fresh.

The second routine is probably my favourite piece in the book. ‘Spectators TnR’ is just a brilliant routine that I have seen Dave perform on stage in the West End of London, The Magic Circle Theatre and everywhere in between. It can play in the smallest of venues or the largest. It’s fun, entertaining, funny, works brilliantly with children and requires nothing other than some napkins and a glass. Anyone who’s seen him perform, would have seen this piece. It’s definitely one of his signature pieces and for good reason! I have even been known to improvise it at residencies when asked to do something for a birthday kid. It is brilliant and worth every penny of the book!

‘My Creative Process’ is Daves exploration of his creative process in a small but incredibly insightful essay!

The next effect, or rather, utility is called ‘Punched Location’. Those card sharps and gambling routine fans will get a slot out of this. Whilst it isn’t necessarily something I would use, I can appreciate its flexibility and how novel it is to use. It is essentially an on the fly method to ‘punch’ a card. Using an object we mostly all carry on our person and is very inexpensive (unlike those devices specifically made to do the same thing.

‘The S.M.Principle’ is a super clever utility gimmick that allows the performer to do a multitude of effects. This is one of those, ‘let your imagination run wild’ effects that is truly sneaky. In the book, he offers several different routines and effects using variants of the gimmick but those who like ‘Card to Impossible Location’ or ‘Chicago Opener’ effects, you will get a lot of milage out of this. It is brilliant!

The next effect is a coin effect! ‘Uniquely Surrounded’ is a quirky presentation utilising a very popular coin gimmick. I’m not much of a coin magician but I can imagine, this playing really well. I think, if I were to do it, I quite like the idea of using it as a bar bet kind of effect. Perfect for down the pub with friends and family.

‘How do you find you?’ Is another short essay about character and discovering your own unique style. There isn’t much more to say about this!

Finally, ‘Crazy Keepsake’ is another favourite of mine from these notes. Mainly because I was there during his development of the effect and I absolutely LOVE it! It is a super practical method which teaches you a way to make a clever keyring gimmick. In it, essentially, you can change a photo inside a sealed plastic keyring for anything else whilst the keys are placed in your spectators hands, There are similar tricks that have sold for 5 times the price of these notes but with Daves method, you can make as many as you want! Those who are worried about the extend of ‘making’ the props, it is super easy and I really mean easy peasy! It’s defiantly another that is ‘worth the price of the notes’!

So, I highly highly recommend these notes. There are some incredibly smart, well thought out routines and ideas in here that I know you will love! And for the price, it is a no brainer!

https://www.daveloosleymagic.co.uk/produ......-edition
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
739 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Currently on sale.

Regards,
Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Product Review - Creative Collective by Dave Loosley (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL