The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cheapest Svengali Decks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thinking about selling short and long cards or other name Svengali cards after my shows. Does anyone know where the cheapest ones are to buy. I am talking about 500 to 1000 at a time. Thank you.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2803 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
The ‘cheapest’ may not be cheap enough to make a great profit on each sale without having a huge retail price. I have’t bought wholesale cards in a long time but I would think D. Robbins may be your best bet for the slum/cheap magic.

Have you thought about selling Two Card Monte? Those are much faster/easier to demo. Sales for a cheaper price and has a much higher markup. You could also bundle the Three Card Monte in with it and make a killing.

Just something to think about.

Tom

PS. Throw in a Free Fortune Telling Fish to help close the deal. I still give those away to my non-magic ebay customers and they love it.
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1163 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I’ve ordered from both Loftus and MagicMakers. Loftus has the best prices if you’re going to get 2 gross or more.
I think MagicMakers has better looking packaging that makes a difference if you’re selling it as a stand alone product. The actual decks are similar quality.

If you don’t have a wholesale tax ID # you can order bulk Svengali decks through custom magic tricks, which is park of TrickMaster.
Custom Magic Tricks also offers some customizable magic kits of all sizes for BOR.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1163 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, TomBoleware wrote:
The ‘cheapest’ may not be cheap enough to make a great profit on each sale without having a huge retail price.

It’s a 100%+ markup. Svengali Decks and Coloring Books are by far the best sellers for BOR. (if they fit your market of course).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Are you going to demo the Svengali?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2803 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2020, TomBoleware wrote:
The ‘cheapest’ may not be cheap enough to make a great profit on each sale without having a huge retail price.

It’s a 100%+ markup. Svengali Decks and Coloring Books are by far the best sellers for BOR. (if they fit your market of course).

True it is a 100% mark up. But Markup and Profit Margin are not the same.Smile

Doubling your money sounds good, that is a 50% profit margin and most retailers, food stores, etc, would love making a 50% profit margin. But Pitchmen and Direct Sales people usually like a much higher margin. It’s not uncommon for some items to have a very high mark up. For example, Jewelry sellers who operate retail stores or booths at fairs and festivals mark items up 4,5 and even 20 plus times their costs.

In the end it’s just an individual choice. It all depends on how much you depending on the extra money from the BOR sales.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No. It all depends on if the products move.

This was why before giving an answer I asked if he was going to demo the deck because they sell quite poorly simply in packaging.

All the rest is simply conversation, and that is fine, but not productive.

You can have a much lower mark up if you are selling them in much higher quantities. It is a fine line.

I get the worm for about a buck. They sell for 5. The decks you can get for about 88 cents in the right quantities. It is EASY to get WAY more than 100% mark up on a well pitched deck.

2 card Monte is not such a great stand alone item. It works better to add perceived value to a package.

The package we end up selling we have about $2 in and sell them for $20. WELL over 100% margins.

He is talking about doing EXACTLY what we do in that he is in a tourist area selling things before or after the show. (We are actually open all day and sell things to tourists because of our location.) It is way different from standard BOR and needs to be thought of differently.

I hope Mark shows up for this. I literally learned everything I know in this from him. No joke he is THE authority on stuff like this.

I only learned it a couple months ago.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2803 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes Mark is the expert at pitching Svengali decks. He also has a book on the mouse.

I will say that convincing the public they can handle a full deck of cards the way you can is not an easy task. For many there are much better impulse items to pitch.

But anyway, and not that it matters, but again mark up and profit margin is not the same. In the real business world there is no such thing as making 100 percent profit. For example if you buy something for one dollar and sell it for one million dollars, you still haven’t made 100 percent profit.Smile

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks everyone. I actually do a commercial during my show with the coloring book and 50 trick booklet with my face and logo on it and they get a magic wand. I get $20.00 for this I have $1.71 in it. I will do a demo during the show as a joke commercial .
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2803 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Very Hard To Beat The Coloring Book

Anybody That Can Count To Three Can Do It

Doing It As A Commercial Is A Plus

"This Commercial Break Is Brought To You By ME" Smile

Go Get'Em

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
463 Posts

Profile of TKD27
This thread is a few months old... Bairefoot, I'm curious what you ended up settling on for Svengali decks. I pitched them for a very short while many years ago, and Loftus was my go to at the time. Since then I've experimented with lots of different options for BOR sales. These days I'm no longer pitching and I make more money by selling myself and my shows, so I care more about having a good product that reflects the quality that I hope my clients see in my show. For that reason I don't bother with cheapo Svengali decks anymore (but I'm certainly not knocking them for people who think they're the way to go - they do sell well!).

My most recent BOR item is a magic teaching comic book. It's something I actually made about ten years ago, but never actually implemented as BOR item because it's really a lot more costly than the typical slum item. But I'm going to give it an honest whirl, with the idea that I'd rather have something with higher perceived value even if it doesn't make me as much money.

This is the same reason I've personally shied away from the generic, instant author stuff. I just want something that seems to have a higher production value than those seem to have.

You mentioned coloring books, which actually probably check all the boxes here. Very easy to do, high perceived value, and quite cheap when bought in bulk. My only problem with selling those as BOR is that I use them in my show! I have a friend who sells rising wands, and I similarly have declined to sell those due to using a Silver Scepter in my show, lol. I imagine that the coloring books make a really great pitch item, though. Maybe even better than Svengali decks!

But if you've been trying out both Svengali decks and coloring books, I'd really love to hear what your thoughts on them are!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1163 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2021, TKD27 wrote:
You mentioned coloring books, which actually probably check all the boxes here. Very easy to do, high perceived value, and quite cheap when bought in bulk. My only problem with selling those as BOR is that I use them in my show! I have a friend who sells rising wands, and I similarly have declined to sell those due to using a Silver Scepter in my show, lol. I imagine that the coloring books make a really great pitch item, though. Maybe even better than Svengali decks!

But if you've been trying out both Svengali decks and coloring books, I'd really love to hear what your thoughts on them are!

I’ve sold both Svengalis and coloring books together and they both sold well. Some days the books will do a little better than the decks but usually they would sell about the same.

I’ve tried other items and they have all been a waste of time and money compared to the book and deck. (ball vase, paddle tricks, professors nightmare...). Aa
I have thought about giving rising wands a try... seems they would be a decent add on if nothing else.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I sell lots of coloring books. I do a gospel routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cheapest Svengali Decks (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL