The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Drive Thru Magic Show (covid-proof) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lars777
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Lars777
Hello everyone,

I'm not a big poster here on the forum, but I've been reading lots of topics with great interest.
I was hoping to get some advice with this interesting but challenging gig.
(I am performing for over 14 years now, mostly parlour and stage but also close-up)

Today I was asked to perform in a drive thru like setting for a large company. Normally they would organize an annual Christmas drink, but this year due to corona this isn't possible.
For about 6 hours, 200 or more cars will drive a route. On route, there will be a clown twisting balloons for kids, a dance act, multiple stands with food etc.
They also asked me to do some magic for the people inside the cars. The cars will drive slowly or stop for a short amount of time (probably 2 or 3 minutes or less).

I already have a few ideas, but maybe there are some nice tricks that don't come to mind immediately.
Of course, invisible deck can be short and powerful, but also a few non-card tricks would be nice. Maybe I'll even bring the floating table and have some fun with that while cars are driving by..
I think I want to perform 3 or 4 different sets of 2 short tricks so the second car will see something different than the car before him.

Do you have some suggestions on tricks to use? The tricks have to be short, visual, with only verbal audience involvement and instant reset.
Christmas theme would be nice, but that's not a must.

Thnx!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2283 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
What a great idea! I wish my usual Holiday clients thought of this.

First of all, I assume you are in a warm climate. Standing outside in the cold for 6 hours, hands exposed, would be very difficult.

The Invisible Deck would be perfect! Especially in this coronavirus era because of the no contact thing. The Floating Table would be great too! Why not?

I would go to my table hopping routines that I do for a larger table. These types of routines would fit your criteria of short, visual, and instant reset. A nice rope routine, Linking Rings and the coloring book for the kids come to mind.

You will definitely want to have several sets, if not even more. The main reason it you'll get board doing the same routines for 6 hours. This would also be a great opportunity to break in some new material.

It sounds like you'll be in a stationary location (cars come to you). So, if it were me I'd bring my stage table and sound system. If that's the case why limit it to close up tricks. Have your favorite non-contact stage routines ready to go. With a table you can also do a nice cups and balls routine. With a sound system you could do some routines to music, like The Zombie.

6 hours? Heck, I'd bring my whole show! Even some routines that are not instant reset. Have them set up before you begin and throw them in to give yourself a break from the standard routines. And maybe it will not be a steady stream of cars. Maybe you'll get a break here and there to do some resetting.

Good Luck!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Lars777
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Lars777
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote:
What a great idea! I wish my usual Holiday clients thought of this.

First of all, I assume you are in a warm climate. Standing outside in the cold for 6 hours, hands exposed, would be very difficult.

The Invisible Deck would be perfect! Especially in this coronavirus era because of the no contact thing. The Floating Table would be great too! Why not?

I would go to my table hopping routines that I do for a larger table. These types of routines would fit your criteria of short, visual, and instant reset. A nice rope routine, Linking Rings and the coloring book for the kids come to mind.

You will definitely want to have several sets, if not even more. The main reason it you'll get board doing the same routines for 6 hours. This would also be a great opportunity to break in some new material.

It sounds like you'll be in a stationary location (cars come to you). So, if it were me I'd bring my stage table and sound system. If that's the case why limit it to close up tricks. Have your favorite non-contact stage routines ready to go. With a table you can also do a nice cups and balls routine. With a sound system you could do some routines to music, like The Zombie.

6 hours? Heck, I'd bring my whole show! Even some routines that are not instant reset. Have them set up before you begin and throw them in to give yourself a break from the standard routines. And maybe it will not be a steady stream of cars. Maybe you'll get a break here and there to do some resetting.

Good Luck!

Thnx for the input! I will definitely pick up stuff like fiber optics and acrobatic knot for quick and visual rope effects.

This Tuesday I will have a meeting over the phone to discuss a few ideas and budget. It's an all new concept for the company too so I think nothing's set in stone yet.
Climate here (Netherlands) wil be between -5 and 10 degrees at most. I'm not sure yet it will be outside or inside in a large warehouse building. The cars/visitors are divided in time slots so it will never get to crowded.
Setting up my sound system sounds like a good plan, maybe create a stage setting too with a backdrop as an eye catcher.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20449 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is going to be like doing magic in s parade.

I without not do ANYTHING requiring participation. Pieces set to music that if they drive away or drive up in the middle you are still good.

How far will they be? Can you reset? Something visual that they can all participate in like a prediction may work.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
This is going to be like doing magic in s parade.

Absolutely. All of the magic I have designed for parades has been cyclic in nature. Then again, that depends on if they are continually moving cars or what we would call a “Show Stop” situation where they hold for a set time period then move on. The first requires a loop type of effect that can be done continually. Floating effects come to mind. Also any 1 in/1 out type illusion that could repeat. If it is a show stop type of event, you need either an effect that fits the time frame and resets itself or a massive number of duplicates of the effect(s) that are ready to go. You can also have 4 sets (or more depending on the reset time) of the effect and have someone backstage continually resetting them like we would do for multiple takes of a TV show.

It is also really critical that you look at how much time you realistically can do without a break. For many of the Drive-Through type events we might have 3 or more teams for each set depending on the physicality of the act they are doing. You also have to look at the durability of the props. Something you might do 100 times a year you could be doing 100 times a day in this situation.

Look at the cycle time in each case. If continuous movement that is the time it takes 1 car to complete the pass in that area until the next car crosses the same marker. If it is a show stop situation, it will be the total time from the time the car(s) have pulled in and you’re clear to start until the next car (or set of cars) hits that same mark and you can start again. The program length is the cycle time minus the load in/out time. This is normally called a “Push in/Push out” loading situation and you could reset during the car movement if possible. If that’s the case, make sure everything can be reset in full view.

There are so many more details but hope this helps.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Drive Thru Magic Show (covid-proof) (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL