The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin tricks with normal coin (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JJF
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of JJF
What are the best coin tricks, that are simple and use a normal coin. For example the French Drop.
ArchMiro
View Profile
New user
Fort Collins, Colorado
59 Posts

Profile of ArchMiro
I would recommend that you check out Michael Rubenstein's book. He has a number of tricks that can be done with just normal coins and some great sleight of hand.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Any good general magic book should have a section on basic coin technique. I started with Hugard's "Modern Magic Manual" and Henry Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook"; the Mark Wilson Course is a more recent and very good textbook. After that, the standard work is Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic".

All of these books are inexpensive and should be easily available.

Barry
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Mickey Silver. This is the BEST trick I have ever seen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9LP0q1rtco

Doug
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
334 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Hey Doug. That is one superb retention vanish!! Amazing to watch!!

Rick Holcombe's take on this is also crazy good.

BW

Steve
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Ask for a quarter and when you get it look it over carefully.

Your hands appear empty other than for the quarter you borrowed.

Then everyone hears a "clicking sound" and now there are 2 quarters, one in each hand.

Give one quarter to the person who gave you the quarter and say, "Thank you."

Put the other quarter in you pocket.
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2020, mindmagic wrote:
Any good general magic book should have a section on basic coin technique. I started with Hugard's "Modern Magic Manual" and Henry Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook"; the Mark Wilson Course is a more recent and very good textbook. After that, the standard work is Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic".

All of these books are inexpensive and should be easily available.

Barry

I began with Bobo's book but found it a bit heavy going so I switched to Bill Tarr's "Now You See It" - was this a mistake? I have those other titles you mentioned (Henry Hay's book is amazing).
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I haven't read "Now You See It", but it is highly regarded in magical circles.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2020, mindmagic wrote:

Yep...I certainly, highly recommend it. 😉👍🏽
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
...And don't forget about Tarr's follow-up, "The 2nd...Now You See It, Now You Don't."

There are many good coin books/magic books out there, some mentioned here above, but Tarr's works here are 2 of the very best I've come across in the art, nothing else quite like them. And I've always said that what Tarr did as to instruction and drawings, all would've made Bobo's Coin Magic a much better work, IMHO.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Now You See It has some wonderful, inspiring light prose, and the illustrations and sequencing is top tier. Easily one of the most enjoyable magic books I've come across just to flip through to see what's on offer, much less study..

Regretfully the first book is hard to find (though I managed it -- eventually), but the follow-up is ten times harder *again*. I'm frankly giving up for a bit [though no doubt I will find myself trawling the net and second hand book sales for it off-and-on indefinitely...]
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Karl Fulves "Self Working Coins" is easy to get and well worth the $8-10 buck.

Not as classy as some of the others but will meet the OP needs.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2020, Gerald Deutsch wrote:

Then everyone hears a "clicking sound" and now there are 2 quarters, one in each hand.

Hey GD, Nice!😊 I used to do something sorta like that but with a half dollar, and my little pre-show of the coin better sold it all the way. 😁

https://youtu.be/MMzvaKLGMQA

mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2020, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2020, mindmagic wrote:

Yep...I certainly, highly recommend it. 😉👍🏽

Hi Mb! Hope all is well. This just took me back to an old Bill Tarr VHS video I had purchased when I was first getting into magic in the 90's. I can't remember the name of the video but he taught a coin vanish that I still do today as a quick, silent, coin routine. I combine it with a Hand Wash. It always gets good reactions. The book, Now You See It, Now You Don't, was the first magic book I purchased at the old Tannen's magic shop on W. 33rd Street in NYC. Great memories!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2020, stevie c wrote:
Hey Doug. That is one superb retention vanish!! Amazing to watch!!

Rick Holcombe's take on this is also crazy good.

BW

Steve

Yes! I couldn't agree more.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&forum=3

about 6 posts down. Watch and be amazed! I like Ricks style for sure.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2020, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2020, Gerald Deutsch wrote:

Hey GD, Nice!😊 I used to do something sorta like that but with a half dollar, and my little pre-show of the coin better sold it all the way. 😁

https://youtu.be/MMzvaKLGMQA

http://www.themagicdetective.com/search/label/Bill%20Tarr
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
StevenKidwell
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of StevenKidwell
My favorite non-gaffed coin trick is Spellbound. Done well, it is an amazing effect and can be very magical. There are obviously many versions in print and on Youtube. Stars of Magic has the first Spellbound I learned. Over the years I have developed my own handling and transpositions between the two coins. I like using a Silver Half and a dark patina copper coin with the hole in the center. It's a African 10 cent coin.
Seluj
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Seluj
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2020, StevenKidwell wrote:
My favorite non-gaffed coin trick is Spellbound. Done well, it is an amazing effect and can be very magical. There are obviously many versions in print and on Youtube. Stars of Magic has the first Spellbound I learned. Over the years I have developed my own handling and transpositions between the two coins. I like using a Silver Half and a dark patina copper coin with the hole in the center. It's a African 10 cent coin.

Hi Steven, do you know the country of the copper coin ?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2020, StevenKidwell wrote:

Spellbound is a fun one alright. 😁

Here’s my more streamlined take on it...

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Going Going Going Gniog- Kort
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin tricks with normal coin (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL