The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Switch Board by Martin Andersen (100 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1267 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Please stop teasing us guys 😄
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
552 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have been challenged to offer comments - which I am glad to do. I have been collecting magic switchboards/boxes since Wellington came out with the original model - based on the work of Paul Barhhard. Harry Anderson wowed Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show with the Wellington stage model. I am a big fan of the Wellington close-up mini switchboard. Bill's construction aesthetic is the best. His inclusion of the Edison logo on the mini's is first rate. I actually have about 12 different versions of this trick in my collection.All work slightly differently as the various makers seek to distinguish themselves from the others. No mater who has made the models the effect is a fooler and completely mystifies especially those who know some about electricity. I am, among other things, a professor of theatrical lighting design and present the trick to my students - explaining it demonstrates a long lost principle of electricity "Electricity follows color."

This latest iteration in the history of this fine trick by Martin Andersen is breaking new aesthetic and programming ground with the trick. His long process of development and experimentation with the concept has resulted in a superb piece of equipment.Every thing about it - from its concept to the implementation are first rate. The packaging, accessory acrylic case and instructions have the hallmark of great consideration and care. The programming is brilliant. The possibilities of routines made up of the 7 different effects in lots of combinations allows the owner to customize the trick to their liking. With the two built-in routines there is something to present right out of the box and then - with thought and programming the owner can add their own touches to possible routines. It is true that Effect 7 is quite complex and the Final Prediction will take so considerable practice to get right - there is so much to work with.

This is, IMO, the best version of this trick available.It is so beautifully made - so thin and innocent with no place to hide "the works." I do remain a big fan of the Canadian Switchboard and its performance possibilities - using a vastly different programming scheme.

My initial performances have gone so smoothly and the spectators have been blown away. One magician friend from England saw it on Zoom yesterday and said he had NO idea what the possible explanation was for the actions demonstrated. I feel this Switchboard will become absolutely my go-to when I want to show that Electricity follows Color!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3567 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks for the great review Rhett! Mine is now showing out for delivery today! Looks like it may have taken a bit longer to get to Canada then some other destinations Smile Look forward to spending some quality time with it this weekend.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
811 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Take Martin's caution about removing the battery (when not in use) seriously. I wanted to see how long the battery would last. After playing with the Switch Board on Monday night I put in a fresh (fully charged) battery and set the Switch Board aside (all switches off). I meant to check it on Tuesday but I took delivery of two more magic effects and my attention was on those. This morning, I went to experiment with the Switch Board some more and the battery was dead. I don't know exactly when it died but it was less than 36 hours.

I might sacrifice a standard CR2032 to see how much longer it might last (yes, I realize a non rechargeable CR2032 puts out less voltage and the lights will be dimmer).

Now I understand why the IDEAA Team decided to switch to supplying rechargeable batteries.

Mark
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1267 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Which battery is normally used for it?
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
811 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Amending my post above... The battery that was left in the Switch Board for under 36 hours may not have been completely dead. When I put it in the charger module the red charging light went off within about 10 minutes. That's some pretty fast charging if the cell was completely dead. When I put it back in the Switch Board it worked fine.

Now I'm not sure exactly what is going on. I find it difficult to believe a completely dead battery was completely recharged within about 10 minutes. What is everyone else experiencing for recharging times?

I am considering purchasing additional LIR2032 batteries from Amazon. I've found that there are LIR2032H rechargeable batteries, the H stands for High capacity. Normal LIR2032 batteries are around 40mAH and 3.6 volts. The LIR2032H batteries are 70mAH and 3.7 volts.

Martin, would it be safe to use the LIR2032H batteries in the Switch Board? Having nearly twice the capacity would be a plus.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
811 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, ArtIn wrote:

The Switch Board is supplied with two LIR2032 Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries. Those batteries are 3.6 volts. A standard (non rechargeable) CR2032 battery is 3.0 volts. Both will work (as demonstrated by someone else that owns the Switch Board). But with the standard 3.0 volt battery the lights won't be quite as bright.

Mark
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Both battery types do not last very long, because apparently much energy is consumed for the lamps, so the rechargeable ones are my first choice, also because of environmental aspects. The lighting with the non-rechargeable batteries, however, I like a little better. I have not measured the time to charge but it was definitely more than 10 minutes. The CR 2032 lasts a little longer and has 3.3 volts when fresh and the rechargeable LIR 2032 has 4.2 volts when charged.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1267 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, ArtIn wrote:

The Switch Board is supplied with two LIR2032 Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries. Those batteries are 3.6 volts. A standard (non rechargeable) CR2032 battery is 3.0 volts. Both will work (as demonstrated by someone else that owns the Switch Board). But with the standard 3.0 volt battery the lights won't be quite as bright.

Mark

Thank you. This type of battery is also used with Insight Pro.
I have good experiences with it.
Do you need a external charger or can you charge it inside the switch board?
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
811 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2021, ArtIn wrote: Do you need a external charger or can you charge it inside the switch board?

A small (separate) charger module is supplied with the Switch Board. It's very basic, but gets the job done. It requires a USB-A to USB Micro charging cable (not supplied).

Mark
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
I can't get away from the "Switch Board", all the different routines are just great and are a challenge for my grey matter and memory. I also really liked Routine #7, because the effects flow into each other seamlessly. I would have liked to have 1-2 more pre-programmed longer effects. I haven't gotten to the magic end routine yet, because I still can't blindly execute all the other routines, but I'm happy every time about the different lights combinations.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of brainman
..still rehearsing Routine #1 ; )
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
811 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I love Effect #4. Absolutely, Effect #4 will be in every routine that I build!

Mark
Magicalos
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2021, brainman wrote:
..still rehearsing Routine #1 ; )

same Smile
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
811 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
If you have your Switch Board, I recommend you register the product (per the documentation that was supplied). The serial number for your Switch Board is on the side of the silver tin box.

There are benefits to registering.

Mark
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
I can also recommend to visit the fb group to get latest info or ask questions
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Kenco
Any update news? Let's not let this thread die.
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2021, Kenco wrote:

I believe there is problems with the boards. It looks like he is going to have to send replacements to everyone who ordered one. Hopefully it will get resolved quickly.
Magicalos
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2021, Sir Pharaul wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2021, Kenco wrote:

I believe there is problems with the boards. It looks like he is going to have to send replacements to everyone who ordered one. Hopefully it will get resolved quickly.

martin sent out an update for people who live with areas of high static charge maybe having issues so they are sending replacements
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Kenco
Thanks for the information I hope everyone gets sorted out shortly and Martin himself can post an update on batch #3.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Switch Board by Martin Andersen (100 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL