The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ Switch Board by Martin Andersen (102 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20
Christian_de_Punto
View Profile
New user
Earth - Europe - Germany 138 plus
19 Posts

Profile of Christian_de_Punto
Thank you cluckdini for your long and detailed answer. I appreciate it very much. my audiences (i'm just a hobbyist who found back to magic in his late 40s) are adults with an educated background (sounds silly, but describes best what I want to say...) in a parlor/living room environment. the "strong" pieces in my set are mentalism and memory-routines, with some magic tricks as "breaks", like crazy man's handcuffs or misled or the floating rose. the overall theme of the show is "childhood memories of the 70s and 80s". my idea was/is to put the switchboard in a box from such an old "kids-electronic-experiment-sets" (together with some other purely decorative electronic parts) and tell it with a 5th-class-school-story... I'm sitting on the fence... ;-)
thanks again!

Quote:
On Jun 6, 2021, Cluckdini wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2021, Christian_de_Punto wrote:
Does anybody have experience with this with a real audience? how is the "impact"? is it really "magical" or is it "a piece of tech", kind of "i don't know how it works but it will be some tech behind anyhow"...? thanks for your reviews...

As with probably all magic, it depends on whether you can find a routine that fits with your character, your show/set, and your audience. For me personally, a magic switchboard is an outstanding icebreaker for two of the three types of audiences I regularly perform for (middle school students and scientists/engineers). It does not work well for me for kids under 9 years old (my third audience type). I actually bought a backup second 'original' switchboard model (Wellington mini, no longer made) because about 5 years ago I realized one of the STEM shows for middle school students that I was doing 20-30 times a year would be much weaker if my circa 2003 original switchboard broke (It took me a while to find the right ice breaker for each show theme). I am hoping I can make this new model a much more portable replacement for the Wellington mini I often use for my walk around shows and as an emergency backup for that STEM show.

I don't present it as magic but from the strong reactions I get, I am sure many view it as magic. I present it as a prototype that I would like them to help me test. They help me design more and more crazy experiments (and make a ton of decisions). My routine allows me to make eye contact and ask simple-to-answer questions to 12 different folks and have 8 folks carefully inspect the various components. Those decisions and inspections of components get half the students in the classroom (or everyone at a 10-top table) involved from their seat in my 5 minute routine. No matter what crazy thing we try, the switch board always does the right thing. By the end, several folks are muttering 'no no no' as we set up the last experiment that cannot possibly work, and it does. I often end by commenting that unlike the prototypes I normally work with, this one works perfectly and they are ready to be shipped to customers. And we all now have a connection that I use to make the rest of the show better as I follow with much stronger magic.

I will add that a magic switchboard is one of the three items I commonly carry around parties as 'bait' to be invited to perform at a table. When I enter a party (usually huge parties full of scientists and engineers), I walk around slowly carrying the stitchboard getting a feel of the layout. Usually very quickly someone who is bored and looking for entertainment will call to me to ask me what that thing is that I am carrying. "It is a prototype. Would you be willing to help me test it?" is enough to get the show going. There is a lot of blinking lights and interaction. My follow on routines usually create gasps and laughter. Now everyone else within sight of that table wants to know what is going on with those lights and the fun. And pretty much everyone wants me to perform at their table when I am finished with that first table. It is my favorite bait since it is so visible.

I will add that Martin's switchboard is much more sophisticated than the model I have all the experience with. You can do much more crazy and customizable things with it but it works very differently then the one I use. This one has at least seven advantages over the original model I use: 1) It is available for sale now. 2) It is much more powerful. 3) It is much more portable. 4) It is less expensive than the original. 5) It looks deceptively simple in construction. 6) it is highly customizable to your specific routine. 7) and a simple google search will not reveal how this one works. However, that search will still reveal how the original switchboard works, which might provide a false solution to folks for this one. Martin didn't want to rip off other switchboards approaches, so he intentionally did not make it able to exactly emulate other switchboards approaches. This is a limitation that probably only affects a few folks like me that have existing polished routines that took the other approaches to their limit and relies on all aspects of the other approaches in order to work seamlessly.

Hopefully this will not matter much longer, but a switchboard is also a perfect ice breaker over Zoom. I can ask the same 12 questions over Zoom to different individuals and all the crazy stuff can happen the same on Zoom. They just cannot examine everything but I can honestly reassure them that more than a thousand folks have examined the lights, sockets, and the switch covers (which I can hold close to the camera) and there is nothing to find and the same experience would happen in person. It get all the same reactions when all the crazy experiments work perfectly.

I hope this helps you decide if this magic switchboard is right for you.
Cluckdini
View Profile
New user
This stunt chicken telekinetically typed
75 Posts

Profile of Cluckdini
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2021, Christian_de_Punto wrote:
my idea was/is to put the switchboard in a box from such an old "kids-electronic-experiment-sets" (together with some other purely decorative electronic parts) and tell it with a 5th-class-school-story... I'm sitting on the fence... ;-)

There are some much lower-tech-looking switchboards available now that might fit the "kids-electronic-experiment-sets" theme better, including some that are designed to look cobbled together. This version looks very new tech (with led bulbs) with a clean, modern circuit board that appears to have no place to hide anything sneaky. That is one of the hugely appealing aspects of this switchboard. The original Wellington version was plug in with big incandescent bulbs and no visible circuitry, which I have always been tempted by and is very old school (but hard to walk around with). My mini version uses small incandescent bulbs, 8 batteries, and no visible circuitry.

Although I love magic switchboards, and use them all the time, I would only get one if the effect calls to you personally. They are expensive and surprisingly easy to mess up the effect with (takes regular practice, at least for me). There much much more powerful effects available that are much easier and cheaper. That said, my wife and I are both electrical engineers, so it was irresistible to me and I don't regret spending the $400 back in 2003. It is the only trick my wife demanded I share the secret with her as the condition of its purchase. For engineers and scientists, it is so killer that it causes many of them pain, and I work with a lot of them. I occasionally get long emails the next day with very clever ideas on how I accomplished it. Several magic shop owners have told me they used to sell many of switchboards to the wives of electrical engineers the day after demoing it to the engineer, because it is driving their spouse so crazy. However, I clearly remember early on excitedly showing it to my highly-educated nurse sister, who normally really reacts to my magic, and her reaction was a confused "so?". I had to explain why what she saw would be too hard to really do (which is a bad sign). To her, all electronics do impossible things, so it is my only trick that didn't really impress her the first time I showed it to her. It took me a while to find a clearly impossible routine that worked on everyone (at least everyone over 9). This switchboard (along with other newer ones) has more impossible options than the one I have been using (see the demo a page back for examples) but you have to have a reason that works for your character to do those crazy impossible things. Ten years later, showing my switchboard to my sister's husband, with a much better presentation and with a much more clearly impossible ending did get a great reaction from both of them. So a happy ending. Smile

Hope this helps.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1565 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Those asking about this as a performance piece.... to me, I wouldn't necessarily feature this in a show, at least not my normal show. This is more of a "house curiosity" that I like to hvae around to show my guests something interesting. But it is very impactful. I just learned the "routine #1" and did it for some friends yesterday and it is very magical. This is the best version of this effect and the qulity and craftsmanship is really something. Very happy with my purchase. I will say, worth the wait.

-Eli
Christian_de_Punto
View Profile
New user
Earth - Europe - Germany 138 plus
19 Posts

Profile of Christian_de_Punto
Again, thank you cluckdini for taking so much time to make clear your thinking... and thanks to your sister too ;-)
that really helps a lot.

Quote:
On Jun 7, 2021, Cluckdini wrote:
However, I clearly remember early on excitedly showing it to my highly-educated nurse sister, who normally really reacts to my magic, and her reaction was a confused "so?". I had to explain why what she saw would be too hard to really do (which is a bad sign). To her, all electronics do impossible things, so it is my only trick that didn't really impress her the first time I showed it to her.
Cluckdini
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Cluckdini
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2021, Cluckdini wrote:
Please PM me if you would be willing to sell me your 'static sensitive' first generation board for a reasonable price. You can keep everything else (lights, etc.) but the board if you wish. I just want to have one or two cheap boards that I might brick to play with before I try to update my real board.

Martin Andersen is kindly helping me out both with a very reasonably priced board with some aesthetic defects to test with (with my order today of a second real board from him) and more details on how to start what is clearly a long complicated road to actually be able to radically reprogram these awesome boards (I need to do more than the easy-to-do reprogramming currently supported).

I am no longer desperate for a 'static sensitive' board but please still PM me if you wish to sell me one as a backup for my crazy experiments.

Also, it looks like I got the last 'new board' in stock today. Martin said they should have more in stock in about a month.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2415 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Does anyone know if this is still available?
Deignan
View Profile
New user
Poinciana, Florida
17 Posts

Profile of Deignan
An amazing product from Martin Andersen! The simplicity of the board is what makes it so magical. I have only mastered Routine #1, but am looking forward to programming my own routines in the near future. Thanks, Martin, for a great product and great support to back it up!
Cluckdini
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Cluckdini
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2021, The Baldini wrote:
Does anyone know if this is still available?

Martin indicated to me in email that he expected more to be available mid July 2021.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5490 Posts

Profile of videoman
I keep getting tempted to buy one of these because I think itís phenomenal but I have held off so far.
Iíve owned a couple magic switchboards over the years and currently use Randi Rainís.

What I love about Randiís is it is made from a piece of plywood with what appear to be old components purchased from Radio Shack many years ago. It absolutely looks like something I could have made as a high school project and just discovered in an old box of stuff, which is part of my presentation. It only does 2 short and very basic routines, but I find that is just enough for folks that see it on display in my home.

Martinís switchboard can do some incredible things that have never been possible before, and Iím sure itís great for other magicians or electrical engineers. The problem is that those are not my typical spectators. My typical spectator is well educated and intelligent but usually doesnít have a lot of knowledge of electricity or circuit boards so I fear that much of the effect will be lost on them.

With Randiís switchboard the circuit board is deliberately hidden whereas with Martinís the unit itself is a circuit board. I realize that the circuitry appears to be very basic but I worry that many of my specs wonít really understand that even when itís pointed out to them. Circuit boards themselves are very magical things that most people know very little about other than you can fit a billion micro processors on the head of a pin (or whatever it is.). The fact that my knowledge of electricity is probably about equal to that of my spectators makes me wonder how impressed theyíd be with this. Iím mainly impressed by it because of my familiarity with other switchboards so I have an understanding of what is possible and what isnít.

But I fully admit that I may be totally wrong about all this. Iíd love to try it out one of Martinís and see but itís a pretty hefty investment if I were to find out I was pretty much right after all.

So I guess Iíll continue to use Randiís. Another plus with hers is the larger size and mad scientist appearance of it is actually a nice bonus feature because it stands out and attracts more attention.

Iíll probably pick up one of Martinís someday if I see one being sold as used for a good price.
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of magicmann
Just received a switchboard can anyone let me know what the facebook group is.

Thanks

Paul
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Veteran user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
378 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
In the Switch Board Owner's Group on Facebook I suggsted a mod for the plastic tips for the possibility to stack them on top if each other (as suggested for the silicone ones as said in the instructions).
To further experiment with this I ordered a whole bunch of extra plastic tips from Martin.
They arrived quickly and I will also say Thank You Very Much for the extra bonus/gift that you also sent!
Very much appreciated!
Customer service indeed!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ Switch Board by Martin Andersen (102 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL