The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ Switch Board by Martin Andersen (128 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
laenan
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of laenan
Hi Martin!
This looks great! Just wondering, if this will work with the standard-version of the switch board, as I'm thinking about buying it (today). It another version would be needed, I would wait some more time...
StraightTalkMagicReviews
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of StraightTalkMagicReviews
REVIEW: Switch Board by Martin Andersen
RATING: 9.5 out of 10
LINK TO REVIEW: http://straighttalkmagicreviews.com/swit......lab-com/
PRICE: 245 Euro (approximately $275)

Never play with a switch board before (like me)? Well, this baby is worth checking out. Over the years I have seen various switch boards for sale and they have all been very expensive. More expensive than Martin Andersenís Switch Board. I never saw it in action other than in internet videos and they never really grabbed my attention. Until now! I have changed my mind after playing with Andersenís Switch Board brought to you by www.ideaalab.com. As I describe below, the Switch Board is a great magical toy that is so much fun to perform. It is extremely interactive with your spectators who enjoy this trick much more than I imagined they would.

Once you learn the Switch Board routine, you show that each switch turn on the light across from the light bulb. You can hand out the Switch Board to the spectators and they can play with the lights and see that it is simple; switch 1 turns on the light in position 1 and so on. Then, however, you ask the spectator to switch all the light bulbs around in different positions and the switches (which are covered with colored removable plastic tops) turn on the color appropriate bulb. So, if the first blub was red when you started, the top of the switch had a red cap. But, when you move the red bulb to a different position, the first switch with the red cap on it still turns on the red light. Then you move all the plastic colored caps to different switches and the red switch in a new position turns on the red light and the same goes for all the different colors. Then you can move the caps across from the colored bulbs and they turn on the right color. There is nothing special about the plastic caps and no one will think it is specially designed. You can take a plastic cap off the switch and it wonít turn on a colored blub, but if you put in a white light bulb in the corresponding slot, then it will turn on. You can switch 2 light bulbs and the color matching switches will still work. You can take on plastic cap off of one switch and put it on top of another switch so there are two colored plastic caps and then both those lights turn on. So, for instance, you take the yellow cap off the switch and put the yellow cap on top of the blue switch so you can see both caps and that one switch will turn on both the yellow and blue lights. You can take off any colored cap (letís say green) and leave the switch on and the green light will turn off even though the switch is still on. There is a very cool prediction effect in which the spectator arranges the lights in an order and it matches what the performer set up on the Switch Board. There is so much here and because this is an open source platform you can program your own Switch Board however you like.

Although the effect may sound a bit dry, trust me, your spectators will really get a kick out of this. The Switch Board is not something that anyone has seen before and it is memorable and fun to play with. I love the fact that the spectators have such a hug role in playing in selecting what color blub and cap goes where.

What you get with your 245 Euro purchase (approximately $275) is a high quality switch board with 4 slots for different color lights (Red, Blue, Yellow and Green). There is a switch across from each light and the open battery compartment is on the top of the Switch Board so you see and can remove the battery. The Switch Board is a touch less than 4 inches long and 2 and-a-half inches wide. It is just a bit longer than a playing card. The base is about 5 or 6 playing cards thick. The beauty of the Switch Board is in itsí simplicity.

The Switch Board comes in a beautiful silver metal box with form fitted foam that holds the Switch Board, two rechargeable batteries, 14 lights (three of each color and two white lights) and several colored plastic caps that fit on top of the switches. You get a micro USB charger for the batteries, a product registration card (some ideaalab stickers) and some nuts and bolts that are needed to attach an optional sold acrylic case, which is sold separately. You also get a Quick Start Guide, which is a small pamphlet.

The instructional video and written instructions are password protected and hosted on the www.ideaalab.com website. There is a ton of information and ideas on the website and it took me a very long time to get through it all. The instructional videos are taught by Andersen and dubbed into English. There are many videos and many written instructions that are clear to understand, but it will take some time to go through it all and learn how to use the Switch Board. I needed to take notes on the videos which helped me remember how to do the various effects. You will be required to remember some combinations to make this work and the order of the effects, which is why I took notes. Learning the trick can be daunting, but it is worth it. I would suggest a bit of practice so you can get your presentation down cold.

Everything you need is provided and once you charge the batteries, you are ready to roll. I found that when the batteries were starting to get depleted and almost entirely out of juice that the blue lights would not light up and then the green started to fade. The easy solution is to keep the two batteries charged and donít leave a battery in the Switch Board.

As I mentioned above, this is a unique trick and baffling for your spectators. This is a trick that can be done in a strolling situation, in a small parlour setting and with friends and small groups. I was very impressed with the quality of the product and can highly recommend this to anyone that is interested in this effect.
At Straight Talk Magic Reviews we tell it to you straight and do not sell any product. Visit us for magic product reviews only at www.straighttalkmagicreviews.com or at https://www.facebook.com/groups/StraightTalkMagicReviews/
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1214 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Martin, will we be seeing the new switchboard addition before the end of the year? Would crossing my fingers help? Smile
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2021, no2ss wrote:
"I do wonder if that will make people then just conclude that the whole thing is wireless anyway,
and that "explains" all the other effects ..." 💡 (this quote refers to a single lamp without socket)

I also have concerns that this may be a bit too much of a good thing 🤔

The effect could be better used on its own in another routines ...
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Profile of Martin Andersen
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2021, laenan wrote:
Hi Martin!
This looks great! Just wondering, if this will work with the standard-version of the switch board, as I'm thinking about buying it (today). It another version would be needed, I would wait some more time...

Switch Board don't need any change. The "wireless bulb" you saw can be a standalone effect. No modification to the current board.

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2021, Davidicus wrote:
Martin, will we be seeing the new switchboard addition before the end of the year? Would crossing my fingers help? Smile

Will not be ready before end of year. Low time availability and worldwide electronic product shortage... We wont be able to have it ready for at least a couple of months. Thanks for your patience Smile

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2021, Magic Dust wrote:
I also have concerns that this may be a bit too much of a good thing 🤔
The effect could be better used on its own in another routines ...

Yes, perhaps is "too good"... But its a tool, and everyone should think if or how to introduce it in the routine. As always, too good or too bad will depend on the performer Smile
No, I dont know what im doing. Nowbody knows what im doing. Thats why its called investigation.
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
484 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Hello Martin, any news update on wireless bulbs?
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Martin recently posted an update in the official Switch Board group on Facebook. Basically, they are still in the prototype phase on the wireless bulb.

Mark
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
484 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
Martin recently posted an update in the official Switch Board group on Facebook. Basically, they are still in the prototype phase on the wireless bulb.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Iím a new owner of switchboard. So my Switchboard will arrive on Monday. Once I register my product I can join the Facebook group. Iím very excited to receive my switch board.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

Christian_de_Punto
View Profile
New user
Earth - Europe - Germany 138 plus
64 Posts

Profile of Christian_de_Punto
Why is there such a hype about a wireless bulb? That will be the death of the whole effect!
As I wrote in the Fb-group already, I have concerns... I'm afraid that this feature will take away the "magic" of all the other effects.
Everything is based on the fact, that the bulbs can only light up, when electricity is flowing.
When the viewer sees that the LEDs can be "remote-controlled", they will suspect that this is the trick behind it all.
And it would be a conceivable method to explain all the effects.

Quote:
On Dec 9, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2022, Christian_de_Punto wrote:
Why is there such a hype about a wireless bulb? That will be the death of the whole effect!
As I wrote in the Fb-group already, I have concerns... I'm afraid that this feature will take away the "magic" of all the other effects.
Everything is based on the fact, that the bulbs can only light up, when electricity is flowing.
When the viewer sees that the LEDs can be "remote-controlled", they will suspect that this is the trick behind it all.

Hereís a suggestionÖ. Donít buy the wireless bulb and, thus, donít perform it. Voila, your concern is solved.

Mark
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
484 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Itís another option. If you do like it then donít buy it. But for some of us it will open new creative opportunities.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

Christian_de_Punto
View Profile
New user
Earth - Europe - Germany 138 plus
64 Posts

Profile of Christian_de_Punto
Of course, I will not buy it. because it's 100% against the concept of the effect.
knowing, that I can light up the bulb outside of the socket, will give an explanation for every other effect.
at this moment it does not count, that it's not the right explanation... you are not at penn & teller. at this moment you just did not fool your audience even a bit.

Quote:
On Jan 1, 2022, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2022, Christian_de_Punto wrote:

Hereís a suggestionÖ. Donít buy the wireless bulb and, thus, donít perform it. Voila, your concern is solved.

Mark
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
484 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
I personally feel if youíre performing this correctly in an entertaining way the focus will not be on a secret remote. The focus will be on the light turning on and off when I hit the switch on my board. This is advanced technology. The idea that a tiny bulb can light up on command independent of any power source is real magic to anyone.
Many times magicians feel the focus is on something the audience will never see. If your performing this effect and your worried or focused on the secret gimmick then so will your audience. This is basic magic presentation 101 on anything you perform.
The same goes when using a TT or ITR or any gimmick that is never seen by your audience.

This is genius and true magic. Sign me up. I canít wait to incorporate the remote light accessory into my routines
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5886 Posts

Profile of videoman
Have to admit that initially I had the same concerns regarding the self-lighting bulb as Christian mentioned. I kind of felt it was almost more of a reveal, where for some people a bulb would go off (pardon the pun) as they realize that youíre just secretly controlling the bulb(s), and the magic would be gone.

While I still have some concerns that for certain people itís just going to hit them that way because thatís just how their brains are wired, I also quickly determined that for the vast majority of people it would make for a very surprising, memorable and entertaining ending to the effect.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2022, Christian_de_Punto wrote:
Of course, I will not buy it. because it's 100% against the concept of the effect.
knowing, that I can light up the bulb outside of the socket, will give an explanation for every other effect.
at this moment it does not count, that it's not the right explanation... you are not at penn & teller. at this moment you just did not fool your audience even a bit.

I'll just have to hope that none of my spectators have ever watched 'Addams Family' and never saw Uncle Fester light a bulb by placing it in his mouth!

Smile

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
P.S. None of my spectators believe I'm doing "real" magic. They all know it's a trick. The idea is to ENTERTAIN.

Your spectators may or may not believe magic is real. So, YMMV.

Mark
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1214 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2022, Christian_de_Punto wrote:

But what IS the concept of the switch board? Every variation that has a video share the same theme: CONFUSION. If the concept is "magic", what are you demonstrating? Manipulation of electricity?

I'm not attacking, I'm curious. For the record, I plan on picking it up, but still interested in your thoughts.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
For me, this prop and many other electronic props are more for curiosity than for magic. One can say that electronic devices are indeed mechanical as well as interesting devices but can be easily explained by nature of it being electronic. Of course you can get it to do cool things. It is electronic for goodness sake!

So, when presenting it to your audience, it is of my opinion that it should be suggested that it can do magic like things but to claim that you are performing something that should not be able to happen is simply incorrect.
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1214 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Here is what my plan for it would be (still working on details, so forgive me):

Eqivoque with the 4 colors. Let's say the self lighting bulb is green.

Name two colors (eliminate or keep to make sure you still have green).

Just like before, name one color and keep or eliminate based on your action above.

If it's green, remove the other one and show the switch lights up green.

If the other one, remove green and show the switch still lights green up.

Hope that makes sense!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
2914 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Back when the Cobra Switchboard was released I shared my presentational framework for it. I still use that theme for Martin's board. I talk about "Smart Circuits" and the incredible advancements in AI (artificial intelligence).Demonstrate with the board how the "smart circuits" are able to quickly learn and adapt to changes in their environment. I will eventually end by removing the green bulb and say "The ultimate AI goal of course is for the object to anticipate our needs or desire under any circumstances"... flip the green switch and the green bulb lights up on the table... pause and say "That's when things are going to get really weird... ".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricks & Effects Ľ Ľ Switch Board by Martin Andersen (128 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL