The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Switch Board by Martin Andersen (131 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..22~23~24 [Next]
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
UPS tracking shows that my replacement Switch Board is out for delivery today! Smile

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
My replacement Switch Board arrived. I programmed in a 7 effect routine and I've now run through that routine about a dozen times. Everything is working perfectly!

The replacement board has a slightly different battery holder (compared to the original board) and it's a little bit easier to get the battery out of the new holder. An improvement, IMHO. Thank you, Martin!

Mark
Cluckdini
View Profile
New user
This stunt chicken telekinetically typed
75 Posts

Profile of Cluckdini
Quote:
On May 17, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:

The replacement board has a slightly different battery holder (compared to the original board) and it's a little bit easier to get the battery out of the new holder. An improvement, IMHO. Thank you, Martin!

Mark

Can you post before and after pictures of the most identifiable difference between the original board and the fixed board? It is the battery holder or something else? This would help folks buying used ones make sure they are not getting sold the original static-sensitive design version.

Thanks!
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
The revised Switch Board is easily distinguishable from the original design. My revised board was shipped without the Ideaa Lab sticker on the bottom. The bottom of the revised board has been changed to include an Ideaa Lab logo without the need for a holographic sticker. But, Ideaa Lab supplied several of the stickers in the box, so the customer can apply one if he/she wants. Therefore, the presence of the sticker is not a good indicator.

What the revised Switch Board has that is not found on the original board is some + traces at 5 points on the underside of the board. The five places are the bottom battery solder pad, and center solder pads on each of the four switches. I've added arrows to those spots in this photo.

A MUCH larger version of that photo: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-WDnc......cGF4.jpg

I assume these + traces were added to ground those five solder pads to each other and, thus, eliminate the static electricity issue. The test board I received also has those little extra + traces. Frankly, I never noticed. It wasn't until I started comparing the original board to the final revised board that I noticed the change.

Mark
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On May 18, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
What the revised Switch Board has that is not found on the original board is
some + traces at 5 solder points on the underside of the board

And on the revisited SB version the solder points look cleaner and more uniform
Cluckdini
View Profile
New user
This stunt chicken telekinetically typed
75 Posts

Profile of Cluckdini
Quote:
On May 17, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
What the revised Switch Board has that is not found on the original board is some + traces at 5 points on the underside of the board. The five places are the bottom battery solder pad, and center solder pads on each of the four switches. I've added arrows to those spots in this photo.

A MUCH larger version of that photo: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-WDnc......cGF4.jpg
Mark

Thank you so much Mark for the super clear description and huge picture identifying the differences! Hopefully those looking to buy used versions in the future can use this to identify which version they are getting.

I have an order in for a new version but I often buy used backup copies of effects I use regularly (and I expect to use this regularly if I can duplicate my current switchboard routine). If the used one has a sticker, I may ask them to peel it off to demonstrate it is really the second generation version.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On May 18, 2021, Magic Dust wrote:
On the revisited SB version the solder points look cleaner and more uniform

Must correct my statement, the quality of the solder points often turns out quite different
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Comparing the 3 boards I have here (original, test and revised), I honestly don't see any significant difference between the solder joints. And I don't feel my photo above suggests any significant difference either. But that's just me.

Mark
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
And I don't feel my photo above suggests any significant difference either. But that's just me.

Mark, the upper 2 solder rows of your picture show a clear difference

Use (+) https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-WDnc......cGF4.jpg
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Hopefully mine ships soon, nothing yet. PS. Can someone message me the name of the facebook group?
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Eli, PM sent.

Mark
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
Eli, PM sent.

Mark

Thanks! Still waiting on mine to ship. Hopefully soon.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
What I like about the new layout is the better visibility of the connecting lines on top of the board

The button cell is now a little easier to remove, although I liked the previous battery holder better
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of toberman
Elimagic wrote: Can someone message me the name of the Facebook group?

Magic Mark wrote:
Eli, PM sent.

Mark

Hi Mark- can you send me the name of the Facebook group too? I am also still waiting for mine to ship.

Terry
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On May 20, 2021, toberman wrote:
Elimagic wrote: Can someone message me the name of the Facebook group?

Magic Mark wrote:
Eli, PM sent.

Mark

Hi Mark- can you send me the name of the Facebook group too? I am also still waiting for mine to ship.

Terry

PM sent
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
I’ve also purchased the board but no indication about shipping yet. Can someone pm me the fb group?
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On May 21, 2021, khuzhai wrote:
I’ve also purchased the board but no indication about shipping yet. Can someone pm me the fb group?

I haven’t been admitted to the group yet as they ask question that I don’t know because I don’t think mine has shipped yet. So I think we will need to wait to join the group more than likely.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I think the Facebook group is set up to ask for the serial number of your Switch Board before you can gain admission. I forgot about that.

Mark
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
528 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On May 25, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I think the Facebook group is set up to ask for the serial number of your Switch Board before you can gain admission. I forgot about that.

Mark

There is also an "open" Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/IDEAA.Lab/posts/1559577994217327
and here you can read in a post from May 21st:
"Packing your Switch Board".

And on their web site it says:
"Due to the high demand we are experiencing with this product, shipping may delay several days."

So, we who ordered from this last batch obviously have to be patient! Smile
Cebulon
View Profile
New user
Germany, BW
89 Posts

Profile of Cebulon
I got my shipping notification yesterday. Delivery is scheduled for June 3rd (I chose the free delivery option assuming that delivery time will be acceptable here in Europe).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Switch Board by Martin Andersen (131 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL