The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Switch Board by Martin Andersen (128 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24 [Next]
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Profile of Martin Andersen
In my opinion I would not put too much attention on the chosen bulb. Instead, just making it happen as something unexpected would impact much harder on the spectator. At the end of the routine, most of them will assume that any combination of colors and caps will light up correctly, but lighting the bulb out of the circuit is something that they will not expect. Making it short and unexpected would be like "wait, did that just happened?" and probably you will notice a light smile in his face revealing their internal shock Smile If you present as the "grand finale" then they will be expecting something, and trying to figure it out...

Quote:
On Jan 7, 2022, J M Talbot wrote:
I talk about "Smart Circuits" and the incredible advancements in AI (artificial intelligence).Demonstrate with the board how the "smart circuits" are able to quickly learn and adapt to changes in their environment. I will eventually end by removing the green bulb and say "The ultimate AI goal of course is for the object to anticipate our needs or desire under any circumstances"... flip the green switch and the green bulb lights up on the table... pause and say "That's when things are going to get really weird... ".

John, I really like the AI presentation! And you last line is PERFECT! You are denying the evidence of what they just saw by saying that is not yet possible. Then you carefully pack everything in its bag and silently leave Smile
No, I dont know what im doing. Nowbody knows what im doing. Thats why its called investigation.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
2924 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Martin... this approach has resonated well for me.
How
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
102 Posts

Profile of How
Amazing effect! I love to use as gambling routine!
TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan, USA
293 Posts

Profile of TomB
I quickly went thru some of the posts here. I personally like the organic non circuit board version. However, if you are to use this one, you should not be touching the circuit board. I assume the acrylic case is for this reason, albeit not a perfect solution. Even if you do not see a spark, you can damage a chip on the board. When I deal with circuit boards, I wear an ESD bracelet. You can find them on amazon. This is common practice to those that deal with circuits. The other thing is when you pick up a circuit board, have your hands pick up the edges. Lastly, if you do not have an ESD bracelet, you should touch a piece of metal that will purposely release any static build up prior to picking up a board.

One thing you may not know, is that an Electrostatic failure may happen many moons after the electro static event happened. And mentioned above, you may not have had a known zap.

I'd have to understand how the board was getting zapped but typically it's not something you protect against. Was it when the battery was changed or when people touched a switch while it was in the acrylic case?
People are not suppose to touch circuit boards, and when they do they wear an ESD bracelet.

When I work on circuit boards, I not only wear an ESD bracelet but my work surface is also ESD protected. They sell ESD pads. Granted, this is just a couple hundred dollar board and maybe considered a throw away, but it can fail with no notice during a performance if damaged.

Hope this helps some of you non electronics people.
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Thanks Tom. We have gone through this. The very first boards were static sensitive, but now we have isolated the electronics so no problem to touch the circuit. The first boards were replaced, so no one should worry about this. Smile
No, I dont know what im doing. Nowbody knows what im doing. Thats why its called investigation.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
861 Posts

Profile of mndude
Only 50 units and 22,387 views? I guess 22,337 of us will be sad.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1132 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2022, mndude wrote:
Only 50 units and 22,387 views? I guess 22,337 of us will be sad.

No, only the snooze you loose folks will be sad. Run, don't walk:

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/switch-board-ideaa-lab/

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1132 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Stevens had just 3 Switch Boards left yesterday and they still have 3 Switch Boards left today. So much for the 22,337 that think they can't get one. Smile

Mark
saturnkk
View Profile
Loyal user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
246 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
I was all set and ready to buy then I saw that I cant use the discount code. Oh well... I guess I can spend my $ elsewhere.
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 1, 2022, saturnkk wrote:
I was all set and ready to buy then I saw that I cant use the discount code. Oh well... I guess I can spend my $ elsewhere.

There are very few selected magic shops allowed to sell Switch Board. Stevens Magic is one of them (the only one in the USA). But because our own policy, no discounts or promotions can be applied to this product. We do this to have the same price in all countries.
As you may have seen, Switch Board was selected as the best product from Stevens Magic Emporium catalog. You can spend your money elsewhere, but you probably wont be investing on THE BEST magic product Smile

PS: we have just sent some more units to SME, they will probably arrive on Monday-Tuesday.
PS2: remember, chosen BEST PRODUCT IN THE CATALOG Smile
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2707 Posts

Profile of kinesis
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

Ruined by technology. The mystery of the original Switchboard effect was that it used low tech. Little screw in filament bulbs that looked like they came from a flashlight and clunky toggle switches. All mounted on a bit of wood. It looked old and basic AND THAT was where the magic lay, it was impossible. This modern version just looks like it works on microchip technology to do the trickery - no magic. This. IMHO, is a massive step in the WRONG direction.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1132 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Anyone that isn't 50+ can take one look at one of the old style switch board effects and instantly realize there were LOTS pf places to hide a controller chip. Conversely, the Ideaa Lab Switch Board can be carefully examined by the spectator and there doesn't appear to be any place to hide a controller chip.

My opinion: The Ideaa Lab Switch Board is MORE entertaining than previous designs because there are effects you can do with it that weren't possible with previous models. It is also smaller and easier to carry so there's a better chance you'll actually have it with you when you are performing some magic.

Maybe the original designs were more "fooler" back when they first came along but, these days, NONE of the switch board models are what I'd call "foolers". At least, not to anyone that understands how such things can be done. It doesn't matter WHAT the base of the prop looks like or whether there are wires and incandescent bulbs or circuit traces and LEDs. But that doesn't mean the Switch Board can't be entertaining. I didn't buy it to fool anyone, I bought it to entertain. And that has worked out brilliantly. Everyone I've shared it with has absolutely loved it.

Mark
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5879 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2022, kinesis wrote:

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

Ruined by technology. The mystery of the original Switchboard effect was that it used low tech. Little screw in filament bulbs that looked like they came from a flashlight and clunky toggle switches. All mounted on a bit of wood. It looked old and basic AND THAT was where the magic lay, it was impossible. This modern version just looks like it works on microchip technology to do the trickery - no magic. This. IMHO, is a massive step in the WRONG direction.

YES, I fully agree with you.

However the new slim and sleek version is unique in its own ways. Looks very normal with regards to its visible passive looking circuitry track (path).

Smile
P.S. And for those who would like the good old low tech looking switchboard, I would suggest get TWO props (a close-up & Stage version) for almost the same price of the IDEAA Labs version:-

Magic SwitchBox III SE+ (uses a bit difficult to find, 6 Volt Filament Bulbs) and Magic StageBox III (uses easily available 12 Volt Large LED Bulbs with good brightness)- These two models work on the same principle and logic except that one is for close-up and the other is for stage. Both models have the usual advanced features and are easy to use. Don't forget to order the extra bulbs and switch caps - just in case. - - https://magicswitchbox.wixsite.com/magic......ice-list

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6016 Posts

Profile of videoman
I own 2 switchboards. The Martin Andersen one and the board made by Randi Rain.
Of the two, I guess I prefer Martin's because there is much more that you can do with it. That makes it more fun to do and more entertaining to a spectator.

But Martin's board doesn’t win by a mile. For me, it is closer to a tie than you might think.
Randi’s board is much more limited, but in some ways that’s an advantage because it gets the point across and prevents you from doing a wayyy too long routine. Just like doing an Ambitious Card routine with 39 phases makes it worse rather than better it’s easy to try and do too much with Martin's board. Let’s face it, most magicians are not good at editing themselves.

The other thing I really like about Randi’s board is it genuinely looks like something I could have made in summer camp when I was a kid. Unless people know you are an electrician or have a serious electrical background, not many are going to think you made Martin's board. It looks exactly like what it is, something you bought. If a spectator is really amazed and freaked out their first question may not be “how did you do that?” but rather “where did you get that?”

Now of course there are entertaining presentations which can get around that or at least minimize it. But having left them both sitting out side by side it seems like Randi’s board generates more interest and I do really like to present it as something I made as kid. I think that because that story is so plausible and people immediately buy into it 110%, it makes even the more basic things the board can do seem even more amazing.

But performing Martin's can be a ton of fun too. What is does is freaky and seems impossible. If I could only keep one I would have to go with Martin's, the small size and portability is a great plus too. But Randi's certainly has its advantages too. So it would be close.

Just my opinion and experiences. YMMV.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5879 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:

Switch Board owners... Run, don't walk, to the Switch Board Facebook Group to see the video that Martin posted an hour ago. It's a new feature that's coming to complement our Switch Boards.

How would like to be able to control one of the bulbs with its corresponding switch when the bulb is NOT screwed into the socket? The bulb is just lying on the table, yet the switch still turns the bulb on and off.

Martin does not show how it's done but says it should be available to order in 2-3 months. In reply to a question, he posted that we will not have to send in our Switch Boards for modification.

Based on the video, it looks entirely clean and fair. No tricky moves (that I can see).

Hopefully, Martin will share the video here too.

OK, before I comment on the so called wireless 10mm LED bulb, my Switch Board by Martin Andersen will be delivered today (Apr 26th).

As some of you know I own a number of magic switchboards. I have played with such switchboards for years.

As I understand the working of these so called wireless bulbs, they primarily work on a simple induction principle. This is nothing new to the tech savvy. However, with regards to the Andersen switchboard, the GREEN bulb (as seen in the demo vid, needs to be switched before it can do its magic. Also, in case the spectator wants to hold the bulb in their hand and see it light, that's not going to happen to the best of my understanding and knowledge on the subject. Nevertheless, IMO this is a good add-on to the Andersen's switchboard routine.

However I Shall wait to see what technology Andersen has used for his wireless bulb . . . . till then here is something to know about wireless LED bulbs.

https://youtu.be/GXIRsLE8HAo

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5879 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Today I received my Andersen Switch Board (arrived right on time - Thank you Stevens Magic Emporium Smile). I decided to first go through the instructions and hence I have yet to play more with the switchboard.

After watching a few teaching videos, I see that a lot of effort has gone into creating this little marvel (both in terms of software & hardware). The creator(s) have taken into consideration all levels of performers (from the Novice to the seasoned) and accordingly programmed and phased the various effects/routines. All phases of the routines/effects are very well balanced - going from easy & simple to complex & mind-boggling.

However, for now I can say that this miniature, ultra-slim & organic looking switchboard is one of its kinds out there. For the tech savvy, the bored looks very normal with regards to its visible passive looking circuitry tracks (path). IMO, it does much much more than I had expected and is priced right at the retail.

Overall this is a great little switchboard - A technical marvel.

The above are my initial thoughts. More when I have played and understood this puzzle board better.

Smile
P.S. While going through the instructions video, I find in 'Effect 3', instead of playing Effect 3 (remove a cap) video, it plays Effect 6 (double color cap) video. This may please be looked into and the video link corrected for Effect 3. Thank you.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1132 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Ustaad,

The instructional video for Effect #3 is combined with Effect #6. Meaning, the video contains instructions for BOTH of those effects, one after the other. I just rewatched the 5-minute video and the function of Effect #3 was clearly explained.

I will PM you the direct link to the video for Effects #3 & #6.

Mark
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1214 Posts

Profile of DJG
It is one of my favorite toys! Too bad the shipping for replacement bulbs and parts is so expensive. By no means is this Martin or Ideaa Lab's fault. Just means I have to buy more parts to make the order worthwhile Smile

Not that most will ever need them, I just like to have them on hand.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5879 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Hi Mark,

Got your PM. Thank you so much for pointing me to the direct link. Yes, I now see that Effect #3 is combined with Effect #6. Smile

Best,

Narendra
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 27, 2022, Davidicus wrote:
It is one of my favorite toys! Too bad the shipping for replacement bulbs and parts is so expensive. By no means is this Martin or Ideaa Lab's fault. Just means I have to buy more parts to make the order worthwhile Smile

Not that most will ever need them, I just like to have them on hand.

We know, shipping is expensive, specially now that fuel is so high. The minimum price for shipping to USA with UPS was about 23 EURO in December, today the price is about 30 EURO Smile
We don't earn money with the shipping. But we know they are high, so we introduced registered post as shipping option. Is not fast, but its a lot cheaper. Check in the website.
Other option would be to buy in group. We could pack several orders individually but shipped together to a single buyer, then he would have to ship locally, with more affordable shipping rates. Just an idea Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Switch Board by Martin Andersen (128 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL