The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Switch Board by Martin Andersen (128 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1214 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Martin,

I know shipping prices aren't your fault. It certainly didn't stop my recent order Smile

Just as you suggested, I ordered more to make it worth your time and mine. Enjoy!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4560 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
After mulling it over for a few weeks, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase one from Stevens. It arrived in just a few days (I guess I was lucky they had them in stock when I placed my order). I've only started playing with it, but I love it. It's not "magical" in the purest sense, but as a baffling little technological marvel, it will leave many electronic engineers scratching their heads. As for laypeople, so much tech is already magic (remember the Arthur C. Clarke quote?), so it should pass the entertainment test. It's also possible to become one of those effects that I perform for others, but primarily do so for myself.

I have a question regarding the optional washers and nuts that you can place on each switch. What purpose are they supposed to serve? As far as I can tell, the board operates just fine without them, even with the optional acrylic case. Are they just there for some aesthetic property that I miss at first glance? Are the "tabs" for the first washers supposed to point up or down? They seem to be pointed down in the video, but then they don't lie flat (or at least I couldn't make them do so). If they are pointed up, they lie flat, but what is the tab for? Hopefully, someone can resolve my confusion here. Thanks!
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1214 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
You are correct. They are just for "show". I have them on one and one without. I feel indifferent to them, but think it looks better with the acrylic case. I put the tabs down.
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Profile of Martin Andersen
If you buy a switch of this kind, it will come with the nut and washer placed. So for the ones that know this kind of switch, may feel more natural with them placed. While for most others, they don't care. So do as you prefer.
The tab is when you place the switch on a panel that tab fits in a small hole and then the switch will not turn. No utility here.

Btw, happy to hear you like it Smile
No, I dont know what im doing. Nowbody knows what im doing. Thats why its called investigation.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5830 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On May 11, 2022, Martin Andersen wrote:

If you buy a switch of this kind, it will come with the nut and washer placed. So for the ones that know this kind of switch, may feel more natural with them placed. While for most others, they don't care. So do as you prefer.

The tab is when you place the switch on a panel that tab fits in a small hole and then the switch will not turn. No utility here.

Don't get confused with those 4 sets of Nuts & Washers [1 Tab Washer, 1 Lock Washer (Internal tooth type) and 2 Nuts - Per Set]. These have got nothing to do with the 4 toggle switches fixed (soldered) on the board. These nuts-n-washers are used for a different purpose.

These Nuts and Washer set are a part of a Toggle Switch when purchased separately. These Nuts/washers are used when you want to fix the toggle switch on to a board and not soldered directly on a PCB. In such a case:-

1. First one nut is screwed on to the toggle switch, then the lock washer is placed over the nut.

2. Then the switch is pushed from underneath into the hole drilled on the board.

3. Finally the tab washer (with its lug facing down) is placed on the switch from top and over it the 2nd nut is screwed on and tightened.

The LUG of the tab washer goes into a small hole in the board and thus locks the toggle switch in place so that the toggle switch cannot be moved (rotated).

The 1st nut and the lock washer are used to adjust the height of the toggle switch on the board.

Thus I would suggest that you just keep those extra nuts/washers separately, they are basically of no use.

Hope that clarifies and makes sense.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5830 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On May 7, 2022, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:

Are they just there for some aesthetic property . . .

Yes the nuts-n-washers just adds to the aesthetics of the switches . . . that's it, nothing more. Smile

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5830 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
I have played enough with the IDEAA Switchboard. Many people have given this Switchboard a fantastic review and hence I will refrain from repeating the same.

When one shows this mind-boggling puzzling switchboard, one should be prepared to act on spectator(s) sudden request during the course of performance. This is not possible with this Switchboard. The reason:-

This switchboard can do things in a preset (preprogrammed) cyclic order. The routines (and in turn the various effects) are all preset, one cannot repeat or change an effect during the course of performance. Let me explain:-

When performing a simple bulb swapping effect, the performer asks a spectator how many bulbs they want to swap/interchange. Let's assume the spectator says 2 bulbs. Well 2 bulbs are swapped (interchanged) and the effect works as it should. Now, at that very moment, if another spectator requests for all 4 bulbs to be swapped, well then that cannot be done/shown. The reason being that once you have performed an effect the effect gets locked. One has no way of repeating the same effect with a different outcome. You are forced to jump to the next effect (of the routine) in the set preprogrammed cyclic order - You have no choice nor does the spectator. IMO this is a major drawback of this switchboard.

Also if one want's to move from one set of routine to another set of routine, one has to perforce remove and reinstall the battery. I wish the creators had thought of a simple invisible battery RESET switch (something similar to a Reed Switch). This would have helped in continuation of the various routines without removing and reinstalling the battery without a break in performance.

As a grand finale, one can remove all the bulbs and all the color caps and then ask the spectator to choose where each color bulb as well as the color cap will go (in any order/position - NO FORCE AT ALL). And then the performer does the impossible - Every bulb and color caps are magically paired. This is a mind-blowing experience for the spectators and would have been a great selling point. This feature is available but sadly has not been talked about.

I wish one of our great reviewers had mentioned the above drawback - I would have given it a second thought before jumping on this. I have a few switchboard(s) that can (if need be) repeat the effect(s) on the fly during performance.

However for those who are looking for a switchboard version that is small, slim, sleek and unique in its own ways might like to consider. This switchboard looks very normal with regards to its visible passive looking circuitry track (path).

With this I have added one more variety/novelty switchboard to my collection of switchboards. Smile

Just MY thoughts.

Smile
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On May 15, 2022, Ustaad wrote:
When performing a simple bulb swapping effect, the performer asks a spectator how many bulbs they want to swap/interchange. Let's assume the spectator says 2 bulbs. Well 2 bulbs are swapped (interchanged) and the effect works as it should. Now, at that very moment, if another spectator requests for all 4 bulbs to be swapped, well then that cannot be done/shown. The reason being that once you have performed an effect the effect gets locked. One has no way of repeating the same effect with a different outcome. You are forced to jump to the next effect (of the routine) in the set preprogrammed cyclic order - You have no choice nor does the spectator. IMO this is a major drawback of this switchboard.

The custom routine that I use is the same one that Madison showed us when he was beta testing the board (thank you, Madison!). That routine is: 0-2-2-1-1-4-5-6. With effect #1 we can swap all four bulbs, all four switch caps, or all 8 items in total. So, if earlier in the routine a spectator were to suggest switching more than 2 items (which has not happened yet), I would say, "sure, we can try that... just let me finish what I'm showing you now." Then once I get to the first effect #1 I can switch to my heart's content.

Typically, my first effect #1 is a bulb swap and I ask the spectator how many we should switch and where they should go. Then the second effect #1 is a switch cap swap and I always remove all four and ask the spectator where they should go. But, if earlier in the routine a spectator were to be Jonesing for all four bulbs, I would make the the first effect #1 a four bulb switch (rather than letting the spectator say how many to switch).

So, by the time I get to the first effect #1 any question from the spectator about switching more than 2 bulbs has been answered. That's the beauty of having effect #1 more toward the middle of the routine instead of right at the start of the routine. And, once you demonstrate a 4-bulb swap, it's unlikely it would be requested later on.

Madison shared this earlier in the thread, but here is the link to his excellent demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMr1kGSZnc

Mark
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5830 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
@ Mark:

My main concern has been and may I once again quote:-

Quote:
On May 15, 2022, Ustaad wrote:

. . . . The reason being that once you have performed an effect the effect gets locked. One has no way of repeating the same effect with a different outcome. You are forced to jump to the next effect (of the routine) in the set preprogrammed cyclic order - You have no choice nor does the spectator.

Hope that makes sense and clarifies.

Quote:
On May 15, 2022, Magic Mark wrote:

With effect #1 we can swap all four bulbs, all four switch caps, or all 8 items in total. So, if earlier in the routine a spectator were to suggest switching more than 2 items (which has not happened yet), I would say, "sure, we can try that... just let me finish what I'm showing you now." Then once I get to the first effect #1 I can switch to my heart's content.

That will work provided you keep adding Effect #1 (as many times as desired) to the set Routine, then one can keep repeating the same effect with variations. That's one way of doing a repeat performance, but it isn't a solution to the problem. Hope you will agree with me on that.

Quote:
On May 15, 2022, Magic Mark wrote:

The custom routine that I use is the same one that Madison showed us when he was beta testing the board (thank you, Madison!). That routine is: 0-2-2-1-1-4-5-6.

I like Madision's thinking on creating an impressive routine during the initial Beta Testing stage. However if the Effect #1 was ALSO added at the end of the routine (i.e. 0-2-2-1-1-4-5-6-1), then one could have ended the Routine with my suggested Grand Finale. Right? Smile Let me explain:-

The First Effect #1 is for swapping of Bulbs. The Second Effect #1 is for swapping of Color Caps. And finally, the Third Effect #1 (the last ENDING effect in the routine) is for swapping both, the bulbs as well as the color caps. This Grand Finale ending would leave the skeptic go home thinking - HOW'S THAT POSSIBLE?

Hope the above makes good reasoning and logic. Smile

And finally to be fair to the creator, this wonder mini Switchboard has a very unique facility (unseen in any of such switchboards that I own or have known of) of programming ones own Routine the way one wants. One can program at least 3 different routines, each with 16 effects in cyclic order.

Smile
P.S. I programmed my board with - 0-2-2-1-1-4-5-6-1.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5830 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Protecting The Circuit Board

My thoughts on whether to protect or not to protect the circuit board.

There has been a bit of debate on the use of a case/cover for the protection of the circuit board. This is what Martin has to say and may I please quote:-

Quote:
On Sep 20, 2021, Martin Andersen wrote:

About the acrylic cover, well to my taste I prefer without it. But most of you are getting the acrylic case, . . .

The circuit board gives a nice organic look without the Acrylic cover. The Acrylic cover will certainly help in protecting the board and its circuitry but defeats the sole purpose of designing an open board showing the PCB with its track layout. Said that:-

IMO, the top of the circuit board (where the 4 switches and bulb holders are placed) is reasonably well protected and thus needs no short circuit protection. However the bottom of the circuit board needs some sort of protection from inadvertently shorting the soldered points/joints. Shorting can occur due to placing the board on an electrically conductive surface or when the board is handled by the spectator wearing a finger ring. Hence IMO it's a MUST to protect the bottom of the circuit board. OK here is my suggestion(s):-

1. Using the proprietary Acrylic cover. You receive two Acrylic plates, the top plate and the bottom plate. Use only the bottom plate. Checkout the explanation video on fixing of Acrylic case.

When fixing the bottom plate put the four screws from the top of the circuit board (& not from underneath as shown in the video). Then screw the 4 spacers from the bottom of the circuit board. Now place the bottom Acrylic plate. To hold the plate in place, screw the other 4 spacers. These spacers will also act as feet for the circuit board. For those who don't like the feet - simply use 4 suitable size nuts to fix the bottom plate.

And for the DIYers, who would like to save $35 + Shipping, they can easily make the Acrylic bottom plate and fix it with a set of screws, spacers & nuts. It’s simple and easy to make & fix.

2. For those who would like the board to remain in its original form - i.e. 'AS IS', can REASONABLY protect the bottom of the circuit board by:-

Applying two coats of clear (transparent) Nail Polish (with its own brush) only to the solder points. This will reasonably protect the circuit board from short circuit. And if need be, you can easily remove the nail polish coating any time with 'Acetone' (i.e. nail polish remover).

Here is what the creator has to say regarding shorting of the connections:-

Quote:
On Sep 20, 2021, Martin Andersen wrote:

Its true that placing the board over a metal surface can short the connections. That is something to avoid, but we took some internal precautions so probably you wont end up burning your board... its more likely to kill the rechargeable battery insted. Still be careful as warranty don't cover those kind of problems.

You can see that the creator/seller don't take responsibility for any such mishap. Hence the need to protect the board from short circuit.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

PLEASE NOTE: Any of the above actions MUST be done with the battery removed.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy! Smile

Smile
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1214 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
On one, I don't use the plates, rather I just use the spacers and screws as feet.
Martin Andersen
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
158 Posts

Profile of Martin Andersen
You can use rubber feet for less than $2: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001665030662.html
No, I dont know what im doing. Nowbody knows what im doing. Thats why its called investigation.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4560 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I wanted to chime in that I received some of the best customer service from Martin. When I received my original package, one of the yellow LEDs simply didn't work. I let Martin know, and within a week, two replacement bulbs arrived in the mail! Thank you!
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5830 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2021, Martin Andersen wrote:

Here there is a preview of what we are working on right now:

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2021, Martin Andersen wrote:

... We wont be able to have it ready for at least a couple of months.

Any update?

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Switch Board by Martin Andersen (128 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL