We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! Ľ Ľ Lost Twilight Zone Episode (Bobby Hasbun's Latest) (166 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2020, Dr Spektor wrote:

Tip: for people my age, keep a nice bronze magnifying glass around for letting people inspect the items.

That was my only "complaint" about these props. Yes, I concur with the Doctor, have a nice magnifying glass handy, just in case.

Those who have this will understand.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1483 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Personally, I wouldn't use a Magnifying glass. Telegraphing being one and unnecessary focus on the wording the other. It should be easy to read, it's a wishing coin. But it's a challenge, I'm not going to try to "fix". In fact, being a little hard to read might be all the attention that is needed.

BTW if you are looking for something to present the coin in, "The Dark Envy PK Box" is a great choice.
The coin in that box moving may save the day! And provide motivation to examine it again...

Vic may have a couple left? I think some of you have already figured that out so thanks.
https://www.geminiartifacts.com/collecti......y-pk-box
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2020, Darkness wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't use a Magnifying glass. Telegraphing being one and unnecessary focus on the wording the other. It should be easy to read, it's a wishing coin. But it's a challenge, I'm not going to try to "fix". In fact, being a little hard to read might be all the attention that is needed.

BTW if you are looking for something to present the coin in, "The Dark Envy PK Box" is a great choice.
The coin in that box moving may save the day! And provide motivation to examine it again...

Vic may have a couple left? I think some of you have already figured that out so thanks.
https://www.geminiartifacts.com/collecti......y-pk-box

Telegraphing what?

The whole effect revolves around the inscription suddenly changing. And if you have someone who needs help reading the inscription, a magnifying glass is just the thing needed. Remember, the script calls for a close up of the inscription on the coin. Obviously, since in the performance, we are not showing any video, then a magnifying glass is certainly not out of place for a close reading (if needed).

And I guess the PK box is alright, if you want to be doing mental magic.

But this is a bizarre effect, a storytelling effect, which doesn't need additional props or layers to the presentation to keep it mysterious.

I don't agree with you at all, but to each his own.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1483 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Typical response lol you havenít changed much have you Smile
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1266 Posts

Profile of reese
I have to wholeheartedly agree with Al on this one. Though I respect your take on it Dark brother.
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
254 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2020, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2020, Dr Spektor wrote:

Tip: for people my age, keep a nice bronze magnifying glass around for letting people inspect the items.

That was my only "complaint" about these props. Yes, I concur with the Doctor, have a nice magnifying glass handy, just in case.

Those who have this will understand.

Yes, with these aged eyes of mine my first thought was that I needed a magnifying glass (which I have from my art supplies). But, I immediately realized that the use of the magnifying glass, with another positive idea I had, will work as a great "device of misdirection" in the switch!

Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1266 Posts

Profile of reese
I believe Bob Cassidy's "microphone switch" would do the dirty here. Using the glass instead of the microphone. The... some-thing-or-other instead of a billet (can we take this talk downtown?)
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1483 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Let me try to explain this differentley to clarify for those who could see this work for how I'm suggesting. And I'm not trying to argue. Just digging deeper.

"The whole effect revolves around the inscription suddenly changing."

Yes, it does. But maybe if they can't read it, then it just doesn't matter! Tell a good story and be done. Or get a younger audience lol. BTW it's actually designed to fall back to no "effect". Or someone else can read it if you really have to have a hit.

Having it hard to read may actually help to create a feeling of questioning what they saw (that's way stronger to me). Having it in 72 point font size not so subtle. It removes that layer entirely. Why would you do that? The coin is not impossible to read. It's probably good it's a little hard. But I guess to each their own.

You are right to play it as you want. But mine didn't come with a magnifying glass. I'm guessing it's just not needed.

Maybe I should have used the word foreshadowing. Here look extremely close at the words. Here someone else take the magnifying glass. See it changed. Tada. I'm being literal to make a serious point. You definitely don't want someone assuming after that it's a trick, and there was some kind of monkey business because you brought along a magnifying glass to "closely" examine the words. And then it did something?! What?! The words changed ahhhh... It may put heat on the words to do that (for a lack of a better phrase). Avoid helping anyone to "see", anything, was my point.

A pk object moving is mental magic? Should we all get rid of our coils now? 'cause it's considered mental magic? Interesting... Tell me more about that.

It was just a suggestion off the top of my head. Obviously, you don't have to move anything. But you would have that "option" as most of us have coils! So bonus for MANY if you "choose".

The box is more for something for me to simply present something valuable in, so as not to lose it and give it the respect it deserves. The wallet does not provide that. I can't use the packaging it came in.

You don't have to personally tell me you don't agree with "me". It's about sharing ideas. But since you went there...
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
725 Posts

Profile of Winks
I think this discussion with much revelation about it should be dropped down to the Crypt.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1483 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Happy New Year! 2021
Stay safe and have a prosperous one.
See you next year, maybe Smile
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3505 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2021, Winks wrote:
I think this discussion with much revelation about it should be dropped down to the Crypt.

I agree. At moment, if you don't have it you probably wouldn't understand some of it. Good option is to move discussion to Crypt. Although, I do not see anyone on this thread that can't go there anyway.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1007 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
As an owner of this and a collector of magnifying glasses (I spent many years in the printing industry and it was an essential tool for me, and I have quite the assortment of high quality expensive glasses, in addition to lots of cheap ones), I'm not sure that I personally would want to use one here.

I'm not criticising anyone that does want to.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1483 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Just to be clear for the new people.

-We have discussed to death that Google doesn't really matter.
-No one should be taking methods anyway.
-This type of discussion is not likely to ever ruin a performance. Unless you tell them days in advance what you are going to show them. Even then, no one is likely to care to Google anything.
-Doubtful many people will even have this performed for them. Too few copies, too few performers. Even fewer searches!

All of this has been addressed before. No reminders are necessary. Consider your audience.

But what hasn't been considered here, and what does matter, is polite conversation. Without negatively singling out people "personally", for their opinions. That only results in more detailed explanations for the sake of feeling like you have to defend your opinion. We just can't simply discuss thoughts or make statements, or share. Unless it's in gleeful compliance of the few. That's why we are, where we are.
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
87 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
Iím interested in any alternative ideas for this but canít access the crypt yet, if anyone has some ideas please PM me.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3505 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2021, PhantomStranger wrote:
Iím interested in any alternative ideas for this but canít access the crypt yet, if anyone has some ideas please PM me.

Just keep posting. You will get there.
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
919 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:

Sent you a pm with a few of my ideas.
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3505 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2021, DocBenWiz wrote:
Quote:

Gee Doc, don't forget to send them to me. harold.harbin@yahoo.com

Thanks
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
87 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 3, 2021, DocBenWiz wrote:
Quote:

Much appreciated, thank you! Loved the ideas and learned something new.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I'm working on a script, that bounces off of Bobby's suggestions, but doesn't include any drastic changes to the props.

But I see this effect as much darker, and I am scripting this to unfold like I did on my "White Star" script.

Layer by layer, until a final reveal that will devastate the spectator who decides to "make a wish."

The spectator will not see the ending coming, but when they do, whey will wish they had stayed home that night.

The script will be free to all, unless someone decides to print it in a book, like Kerfield (sp?) did with my "White Star" script.
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
87 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 3, 2021, Al Desmond wrote:
I'm working on a script, that bounces off of Bobby's suggestions, but doesn't include any drastic changes to the props.

But I see this effect as much darker, and I am scripting this to unfold like I did on my "White Star" script.

Layer by layer, until a final reveal that will devastate the spectator who decides to "make a wish."

The spectator will not see the ending coming, but when they do, whey will wish they had stayed home that night.

The script will be free to all, unless someone decides to print it in a book, like Kerfield (sp?) did with my "White Star" script.

Sounds intense in a great way! Canít wait to read this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! Ľ Ľ Lost Twilight Zone Episode (Bobby Hasbun's Latest) (166 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL