The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Academy of Magical Arts Virtual Magic Classes ... Review? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
The AMA has been advertising that they are offering virtual magic classes via zoom during the pandemic. A quick look at their website shows that they are offering classes they are calling "lessons in Conjuring" its broken down into 4 levels "Magic I" through "Magic IV" the classes seem to be 2 hours long, once a week for 6 weeks. The description also says that some basic props are supplied by the AMA. I have been thinking about signing up for at least one of the levels but I'm not sure if its worth it, also not sure what would be the right level for me. In my opinion the website altho it says a lot about it doesn't really tell me what my brain what's to know. (Honestly not even really sure my self what it is that my brain wants to know) The website is calling this the "Third Semester Classes" there have been 2 previous sets of classes run since september. I have not seen it discussed here on the Café (sorry if I missed it I'd love a link to the discussion) but really what all this is about is I am wondering if any one has taken any of the classes and if you would be so kind as to review it. thanks in advance really looking forward to any input/ knowledge anyone has on the subject.

ps. I hope every one is staying safe, happy, and doing as well as can be expected during this crazy time.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Vin, I've seen the classes listed as well and have been thinking the same thing. I am still looking for reviews on the internet or any information regarding the quality of the classes.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Jack, thanks for responding I'm happy to know I'm not alone and that I'm not the only one who can't find anything on the classes. if you find anything or hear anything Please let me know and ill keep you posted as well!
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Will do.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

For anyone else who was thinking about the classes or looking for real reviews, I spoke to some one on Instagram who took the level 1 class and he had nothing but glowing positive things to say. I may take one of the classes and if I do I’ll definitely come here and give my opinion. (Still happy to hear from anyone else who has any input.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

I think I’m about to pull the trigger and sign up in the next cpl days ... would still love any ones insight, input, or info
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Please let us know how this goes. I was thinking of doing this with ya but I'm just swamped at work right now and I am worried I would possibly miss some of the sessions.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

ActionJack have you managed to find any reviews or information regarding the quality of the classes yet?
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Well, I did it. I bit the bullet & registered for one of the classes. Once I decide that I really did want to give this a shot, I went back and forth trying to find the balance between not wanting to waste money on a class that was too basic and not wanting to waste money on a class that was to advanced. Not knowing which class would be right for my skill level and figuring it can never hurt to improve my fundamentals, I decided to start with the first class “magic 1”. Since no one has been able to give much input here and I know at least 1 other person is interested in knowing more about the classes I thought I’d document at least some of my experience here with the hopes of helping others make there choice about the classes. I registered for the class on Sunday 3/14 (I picked the Monday evening magic 1 class that starts on Monday 3/22 and is 2 hours once a week for 6 weeks) Once I bought the class I got a couple of emails and had to register for the zoom class which I had the option to add right to my calendar. The next thing that happened was I got an email in the very weee hours of the morning on Thursday 3/18 that the AMA had sent me a package. Than just before noon on Thursday 3/18 the package was at my door (I think the email was late as the tracking number says it was shipped on Tuesday 3/16) the package contained all of the supplies the website said would be provided to the students by the AMA the website lists the following; cards, close up pad, half dollars (2), English pennies (1), rubber bands, wand, silks (2), cups and balls, notebook and pen as well as index cards. There was also a carrying case & a book. ( my package was missing 1 of the 2 half dollars but not a big deal to me as I have plenty around. That’s it that’s what I’m up to at this point now I just wait till class starts.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Tonight was lesson 1!! Earlier today I got an email from the instructor mostly just a reminder about the class, a request to check your mic & camera ahead of time to insure that technical issues would not interfere with class and letting us know what props from our delivery would be needed for tonight’s lesson. Their was also a hand out that we where encouraged to print out if we could (but not a requirement) class went well small class size means lots of time for the instructor to work with us. This was magic 1 lesson 1 so it was very basic. I thought it might be, like I said before in an earlier post I picked magic 1 even though I might be a little more on magic 2 level (or may be I’m not and level 1 will turn out to be the right choice) but ether way I picked magic 1 because personally if I’m going to be taking classes I want to work on and hone my foundations so that if I take more of these classes I know I’m building on a strong proper foundation and my magic will hopefully be that much better for it. So with that in mind yes magic 1 lesson 1 was very basic and I’m ok with that I enjoyed it. The instructor had 2 cameras set up so we had multiple views of everything he shows us. He is knowledgeable, entertaining & patient. He takes the time to use the fact that this is interactive and he can see us as well as us seeing him so after he introduces something and teaches it he watches us do it and is able to give feedback and corrections where needed. Well That’s basically it for my first virtual magic class form the ama I’ll
Keep Updating y’all on this experience as I go.
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Thanks for the update Vin. I look forward to your future posts. I'm glad I didn't sign up just yet because I would have missed the first class due to work. I need to make some time in the future for this.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Week #2 ... that's Magic 1 Lesson 2! Ok, sorry this one took so long to get up (its been a busy week). Let me start with just a quick summary of week 1. The class had only 4 students, we learned some VERY basic card handling and a shuffle. We also learned a basic coin trick using a false transfer with a subtlety. We discussed some theories and principles. In week 2 we picked up 3 more students meaning we now have a total of 7 students (I think the classes are capped at 6 so just over 1/2 the max class size). Like week 1 I got an Email from the instructor Monday morning (as did all of the students) reminding us about class & to check our cam, mic, and connection before signing on. The Email also contained the link to the class and asked that everyone be signed on before the start time (so that the class could begin on time). We learned; 2 more shuffles, We built on the knowledge from week 1 by learning a card control using the shuffle from the last class, We also built on the 1st lesson by learning a different false transfer that can be used in the same coin trick & a couple of different endings that can be used. There was more discussion on theories, principles, and philosophy. Like I said after week 1 the instructor clearly knows his stuff. He demos everything from more than 1 angle and is very detailed in his explanations. Than watches each student 1 at a time and corrects any issues until its right. This is useful because you get to see what everyone else is doing and how he corrects them, if its before your turn you have a chance to correct it before he works with you (if its something you where doing too) and if its after your turn you still get to hear and see more info for each move. The 2 hours fly buy because the instructor along with knowing what he's doing is also very entertaining as he teaches. Personally I liked that we only had 4 students it felt more like a private lesson than a small class but 7 really isn't bad. Im curious to see where the class goes. The instructor mentioned that magic 1 is designed for some one with absolutely zero knowledge of magic so that makes sense for what we are learning. So far its all stuff that I knew already but again as I have said nothing wrong with making sure the basics are right. Additionally the class is encouraging me to practice things that I probably wouldn't have .... over all so far so good
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Thanks for another great update. I am looking forward to the next one.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
433 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Hi ActionJack,

I'm curious who your instructor is, if it is ok to share.

-Al
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Alan, MagicVin is the one taking the classes. I was going to but have been too busy with work so I have not signed up yet.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Sorry I have been gone a lot ha been going on I did finish magic 1 and I actually just started magic 2 if any one is interested in the conclusion of my review of magic 1 I will write it. and I can review magic 2 if any one would like
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
Yes please I would like to hear more and I am sure there are plenty of lurkers that would love it as well.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Week #3 that's Magic 1 Lesson 3! This week the class continued on basically the same (no more adding students). The basic structure of the class is good. It starts off with a recap of what was learned in the previous class and there is an opportunity to ask any questions or discuss any issues that came up during the past week of practice, than the students all get a chance to quickly demo the stuff from the week before so the instructor can see your progress and give any pointers or feedback you may still need. Then its on to the new stuff for the week. In week 3 we learned 2 basic ways to force a card and a prediction trick using one of the forces, also an important basic coin utility move. As always the instructor would first demo what it was we where about to learn be it a trick or a move or what have you than he would explain it step by step in detail than each student would get to try and the instructor would take his time with each student making sure they got it before moving on to the next student. also as we went there was discussions on why things are done and how to make it look natural and motivation of action.
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
147 Posts

Profile of jkr
MagicVin I really enjoy and appreciate the reviews/updates! Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!

Question:What’s the cost of the course?

Thanks again,
Jacob
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Jacob,
Thanks so much for your comment. I thought maybe ActionJack was the only one actually interested in reading this. Knowing that others are getting something out of it definitely pushes me to continue.

The price is currently $350 for a class which sounds like a lot but that includes; 6 weeks of class 2 hours per class so that's 12 Hours of live virtual small class instruction (the website says no more than 12 students in a class but as I have stated the most my magic 1 class got to was 7 and my magic 2 class is way less than that), and you also get all of the props you will need for class mailed right to your door. I have had 2 different instructors so far (1 for magic 1 & 1 for magic 2) and both have been really good.

Like I said $350 sounds a bit pricy but that's what made me start this whole review. Before I payed for it and ended up in a class that was a waste because it was to far below my current skill level teaching things I already knew and I didn't get anything from it or ended up in a class that was to far above my skill level and I didn't get anything out of it because I couldn't keep up or didn't understand/have the prior skills needed to learn the things they where teaching. I wanted to read some reviews not only to try to figure out what the right class level would be for me but also to simply see if the classes where any good and if the value was there. Alas I really couldn't find any reviews. That's what made my decide to write my review, hoping that it might help someone who's on the fence about the classes but can't find any real reviews.

Just to be clear I'm not a member for the AMA I was not asked by them or the instructors to review the classes and I payed for the classes in full on my own so all of the thoughts and opinions are my own. Also .... I have read lots of reviews on lots of different things before but never really reviewed anything before so I hope I'm doing ok.

Again, thanks for the comments it pushes me to continue, I hope this helped. I'll try to get magic 1 week 4 out soon (maybe tonight).
Please feel free to ask anything you might want to know that I haven't mentioned.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Academy of Magical Arts Virtual Magic Classes ... Review? (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL