The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2020 (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Ok sounds good! I’ll very gently encourage my followers to participate and if they feel I deserve such an award maybe they will vote for me. Haha I’ll also encourage that they vote for 3 of TOTY too.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
New user
UK
89 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Don't have enough posts to actually vote. Which sorta feels like being an underage teenager unable to participate in democracy as you watch the grown ups who are burn it to the ground.

For what it's worth I would have gone:
1) Snaps
2) Flite
3) Accomplice by Danny Weiser and Regal

Thurston: Michael O'Brien
gbavli
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of gbavli
I would definitely consider THURSTON AWARD to Lior Manor... (yes he is a friend but also many others are my good friends as well) He has influenced many many in our business in the corporate field and especially since the zoom started he took it far - very far. In our business the working pros and creators are friends with each other... so voting for an effect or award does not mean they are friends or they asked...it means that from a personal view they deserve.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
New user
UK
89 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
The award for the magician with the biggest and most effectively mobilized friendship base goes to...
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
New user
UK
89 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Is it me or were some posts deleted?
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1825 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:
Is it me or were some posts deleted?

I don't believe any votes were deleted, just some comments were.

As for the issue raised, any award with public voting is bound to have some elements of a popularity contest / friends casting votes for each other - I think that's part of human nature. Some of my good friends are fantastic creators in their own right, and our friendships often come to be because we are fans of each others work - so it is natural to vote for friends in certain cases. With that said, we should address it moving forward and there is a fair solution that we will implement NEXT year (as its not fair to make any changes to the existing rules mid-voting). So next year, I propose that each person will be required to cast votes for THREE effects for their votes to be eligible (as it was always intended in these awards). I believe that's a very fair way to balance out the voting issues some have complained about, while still maintaining the spirit of the rules. We can discuss that at a later time though as I'd rather not derail this thread as we should keep the focus on the voting.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
THREESUM | SNAPS | Precise Premonition | With The Band | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
dvno
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of dvno
1.Alias Wallet by Colin Cloud
2.Frozen in Time 2.0 the swedish touch by Masuda and Lars-Peter Loeld
3. TimeSmith by Benke Smith + SB Watch
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1510 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
1. BM project
2. FPS wallet
3. Flite
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
711 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
FPS Wallet
Mr.Shaun
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Mr.Shaun
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2020, mpilkey wrote:
FPS wallet by brent braun

MONKey by Jeff Prace

Impossible by Himitsu Magic

Hi, do you know any direct contact email of the himitsu magic? I saw their website but it’s in their language. Could you please let me know. Thanks.
GetMental64
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of GetMental64
1. BM Project
2. Frozen in time 2.0
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5134 Posts

Profile of videoman
If you were to eliminate those items that were released either prior to 2020, or released after 2020, that would eliminate several items currently receiving votes.

Hadn’t heard of the BM Project before reading this thread. Wow, really surprised that a utility item such as this would receive so many votes. Nothing against it and I’m sure it’s a great item but are that many people doing these very set up Zoom performances?

Not disputing it at all, just very surprised since most people on the Café are hobbyists. I must be missing something with this product. Can someone explain to me why it is garnering so many #1 votes?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3491 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Because those involved in the project are stacking the vote which by the rules is allowed just not in the spirit of the original intent when this started. It has now become an advertizing exercise so they can put on the site "won trick of the year" rather than a true account. Many aren't bothering to vote these days because of that. It would be nice if this company took out a banner instead of using the Café for free advertizment. Many posts calling this practice out were deleted when it became heated.
KLMind
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
18 Posts

Profile of KLMind
1.Snaps
2.Alias Wallet by Colin McLeod
3. Mental die by averdini
Kenco
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Kenco
1. TimeSmith by Benke Smith + SB Watch
2. Mental die by Averdini
3. SNAPS by David Jonathan and Dan Harlan
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
748 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Averdini?? Smile

Mark
Keith Atkinson
View Profile
Regular user
Wigan, UK
192 Posts

Profile of Keith Atkinson
1. Snaps.
2. The Collector.
3. Anverdi Mental Die.
Pick A Card, Any Card.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10628 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2021, videoman wrote:
If you were to eliminate those items that were released either prior to 2020, or released after 2020, that would eliminate several items currently receiving votes.

Hadn’t heard of the BM Project before reading this thread. Wow, really surprised that a utility item such as this would receive so many votes. Nothing against it and I’m sure it’s a great item but are that many people doing these very set up Zoom performances?

Not disputing it at all, just very surprised since most people on the Café are hobbyists. I must be missing something with this product. Can someone explain to me why it is garnering so many #1 votes?

Right! I hear what you are saying Videoman and I always pay attention to your wisdom.

For me, I have done one single live show here in Phoenix AZ in the past year - BUT I have done many corporate Zoom shows by sheer necessity and safety (one with almost 900 watching for a company re-naming).

I was initially not a fan of the Zoom shows back last April when I started pondering the COVID future (which may last another year, although improving). They are generally nowhere near as good as LIVE, but it is what we are still stuck with and many like Justin Willman, Paul Draper, Shawn Farquhar or Lior Suchard/Lior Manor and Guy Bavli and Haim are pushing the envelope to create some fun shows Smile

What I am noticing is the Zoom and virtual shows have forced many creators into thinking about what works for this medium - thinking outside the box, and pivoting (which is a positive thing). The necessity of pivoting is forcing creative guys like Haim and his partners for BM project to innovate some new things, or rethinking old and making them new. Jon Allen recently released his "All of Nothing" ideas(AoN)last month which is truly innovative for Zoom, and could be used live. Perfect as an opener. I applaud those who are innovating so that performers who have lost over 75% or more of their LIVE income can survive to a brighter future - when this awful pandemic and economic hit finally subsides.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1825 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
VOTING HAS NOW CLOSED.

Results will be tallied and the winners will be announced shortly.

Stay tuned!
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
THREESUM | SNAPS | Precise Premonition | With The Band | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1825 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
AND THE WINNERS ARE....

Houdin Award 2020: SNAPS by DAVID JONATHAN & DAN HARLAN

Thurston Award 2020: LIOR MANOR

Congratulations! Their names will now be etched in the Magic Café history books alongside the following previous winners:

The Houdin Award

2003: Passing Through by Kevin Parker
2004: no voting took place
2005: Sinful by Wayne Houchin
2006: Fraud by Daniel Garcia
2007: no voting took place
2008: Multi-Dimensional by Craig Filicetti
2009: no voting took place
2010: Get Sharky by Christoph Borer
2011: Industrial Revelation from Jamie D. Grant
2012: Nest Of Wallets from Nick Einhorn
2013: Inferno by Joshua Jay
2014: Fair Play by Steve Haynes & Inferno by Bobby Hasbun
2015: Svenpad Supreme by Brett Barry
2016: WikiTest by Marc Kerstein
2017: The Gift by Angelo Carbone
2018: DFB by Nick Einhorn and Craig Squires & The T-Watch by Nobody Knows
2019: Celebrity Presage by Mike Maione and Brett Barry
2020: SNAPS by David Jonathan & Dan Harlan

The Thurston Award

2013: Andy Nyman and The Code
2014: Craig Filicetti
2015: Craig Filicetti
2016: Craig Filicetti
2017: Michael Murray
2018: Vanishing Inc. (Team)
2019: Jonathan Levit & Benke Smith[/b]
2020: Lior Manor

Let's also applaud the runner up for the Houdin award, BM Project by Bakore Magic and Michael O'Brien for coming in 2nd behind Lior Manor for the Thurston.

Also, HUGE THANKS to Brett Barry for so generously donating a wonderful prize for the winner of the Houdin Award - a copy of last year's Houdin winner Celebrity Presage & a SvenPad KoD! Thank you so much, Brett!

Once again, CONGRATS to everyone nominated and to the winners!
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Official "Trick of the Year" thread - 2020 (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL