The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » D'Lite (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Hello,

I would like to ask...how can I change the battery in the gimmick?

thanks,
Hirase
In love with magic!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I would be very carefull in desoldering/soldering of the wire on the battery.
Before using a soldering iron on the battery, I would make sure to use a good heatsink to disipate as much heat as possible. The battery can pop open or leak if too much heat is applied and that can only be a bad thing.
As inexpensive as D'lite's are, I would just purchase a new one and not take any chances of getting anyone hurt.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
I have replaced mine a little bit more safely, yet not as reliable. I replaced mine with carefully placed electrical tape. If you have steady hand I'm sure you could do it. However, like Iven said, just buy a new one. Your dealer might give you a deal on a replacement.
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
In the D'lite instructions they have a replacement without the TTip. It is a lot cheaper.
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Buy new ones.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
If you really intend to buy new ones, please try to experiment with the old ones before getting rid of them. try changing its battery and see if it works, if it does, you have two pairs and you learned how to fix it.

All the best
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
One more note. Please be kind to our environment. Dispose of ALL batteries properly. We have a disposal bin where I work so I am lucky in that regard. Check with your employer and/or your community to find out if there is a disposal site available to you, if not it would be a good thing to see if you could get something started in your area.
Iven Smile
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
I've been asked by an amateur with little experience for my opinion about these D'Lites. I have never seen them and don't kmow anyone who owns them. So my questiions are:

1) How much distance is necessary between performaer and spectator(s)?
2) For best effect should this be performed against a black backdrop?
3)Is there an honest demo video for viewing?
4) How dark should it be?
5) Can this be performed inside under normal lighting or will it be too bright to be mysterious?
6) What are the ideal conditions for performing?

Thanks
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I don't have a lot of experience myself but I will throw in my 2 cents worth.

1) I have done mine right under their noses and I have yet to be caught.
2) Probably yes, but I only did this once while passing out Halloween candy (it was semi-dark).
3) Probably but I don't know. Rocco has an "infomercial" VHS tape that has a quicky demo of D'lites.
4) As dark as you want it to be.
5) Absolutely. I have used them outside on a bright sunny day, no problem. But they would look better if it is at least a little dark.
6) when you are in the mood and you have an eager audience. Children especially enjoy the effects of D'lites.

D'lites are not expensive, so buy a couple and give them a try. If nothing else, they will help you to get a good sense of timing. Beware! though, it is a temptation to prolong a routine with D'Lites, they are as much fun to perform with, as they are to watch.
Iven Smile
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Quote:
On 2004-06-28 06:35, irossall wrote:
One more note. Please be kind to our environment. Dispose of ALL batteries properly. We have a disposal bin where I work so I am lucky in that regard. Check with your employer and/or your community to find out if there is a disposal site available to you, if not it would be a good thing to see if you could get something started in your area.
Iven Smile

Excellent advice. Batteries are actually considered hazardous materials now. If you work in a large office building, check with building maintenance, they are required to recycle and wil most likely take your couple of little batteries for you.

Richard Lucas wrote:
1) How much distance is necessary between performaer and spectator(s)?
Not much, the same distance and movement required for a TT

2) For best effect should this be performed against a black backdrop?
Not at all, this can be done in any non daylight environment. Indoors or at night.

3)Is there an honest demo video for viewing?
Just about every video I've seen of this is honest. There is really no need to use camera trickery

4) How dark should it be? At night or in an indoor environment is needed. I regularly use these in office environment under flourescent lights and it is visible for several yards. You can not use these outside in daylight.

5) Can this be performed inside under normal lighting or will it be too bright to be mysterious? See above

6) What are the ideal conditions for performing? See above, I agree though the for trick or treaters is the perfect situation.
He who laughs, lasts.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
D'Lites are a lot of fun for everyone - magician and spectator. They can be used from close-up to stage without any problems. They are very bright and easy to use. The only advice I would give is buy a pair. Being able to pass the light from one hand to the other is well worth it.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2004-06-13 12:12, HiraseMagic wrote:Hello, I would like to ask...how can I change the battery in the gimmick? thanks,
Hirase
Dreamland Magic is selling D'lites, 2 for @22.99. This is the best price that I see, so they ain't cheap.

Plus the description states: "A D'lite runs on a small battery that will last years with normal usage."
So why would you have to replace the battery?

Is this statement not true? Approximately how many hours/minutes of presentation(s) did yours last before giving up the ghost?

Can anyone comment on this "Lite-Flight". Is it the same as Zombie routine?

http://www.emagictricks.co.uk/product_in......_id=1412
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
"Light-Flight" is actually more of a Hummer card with a light-up sponge ball.

Just to keep on topic, here are two ideas, neither of them original with me Smile

In a spongeball routine, if you hold the D'Lite behind one of the balls, you can cause the ball to glow.

It is cool with light flight to remove and replace the light from the ball using a D'Light.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Well, can the two be used simultaneously in the same routine? Ot will the hook up be a problem?

Dicklucas
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I don't do the Lite Flight myself, but I think you could work out a great routine. The hookup should present too many problems.

Let me know what you come up with.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
When I performed magic many years ago I owned two D'lites and the routines were endless.

For kid's shows a routine was as easy and entertaining as tossing the light from hand to hand, throwing it in one ear and having it come out the other, snorting it up the nose and pulling it from the mouth, sucking it back in your mouth "lossing it" then pulling the light from a pocket or from your fly (IF that is your bag).

For a more adult approach one can use a single D'lite and have a lot of fun with such things as a parlor illusion knowen as the Radient Roaming Rose where a white rose floats in front of you then starts glowing red, using the glow you can go back and forth tossing the light from the rose to your hand and so on....that is as close to serious as I got with the things. (this routine is on the RRR video)

Comedy wise the prop ideas are endless, having a Mason jar full of blinking Christmas lights that operate with a battery (can actually get from a dollar store) you can "catch" a "fire fly" and toss it into the jar (used often in parades).

Other ideas are those goofy kids shoes that light up you can catch the light from their shoe when they step or bring your own and do a back and forth routine tossing the light at the shoe then catching it again.

Another one I have used is with a flashing red Rudolph nose (again dollar store) you strap the nose on over your own, pulling the nose makes it light up and you can do a back and forth routine with that.

Again the possibilities are endless, one that I have used to great sucess involves an audience plant and a laser pointer pen. I could "stick" the light to the wall then pull it off. Throw the light across the wall (laser pen doing loopty loops) then catching it again across stage. Later on I learned that Rocco had used the laser pointer pen but said that what I did was different enough that I could continue doing it.

There are so many toys and items with a little red LED light in it that you're only limited to your imagination.

To pull back on topic, I would not change the battery as it is quite dangerous (since they do last a long time I've had mine for over 12 years now) there may just be junk/ lint/ dirt/ finger oils built up on the wire, use a can of air propellent (used to clean key boards) and blow into the D'lite hence cleaning it, hopefully, and try using it again.

Another problem I had was the wire becoming deformed and not leaving contact with the battery which I rendered by using a finger nail to pull up on the wire ever so slightly bending it into its normal postion before a show.

A final useful idea is to store you D'lite in a 35mm film canister with the lid on. While performing keep it in its canister both before and after use, if you use the D'lite for walk around keep the canister in your pocket with the lid off, this will help keep the build up of junk to a minimum.

If anyone needs more help, ideas or pointers please PM me.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
X-Treem.

That was wonderful! Full of various ideas to get the ol noggin goin'.

thanks a bunch

Richard

BTW, Can Lite-Flite be used in the same lighted conditions as D'Lites?

I just received the 2 D'lites. Wondering if they come in a large size, these are just a tad smaller than I would like, they give me two knuckles, the box did not specify "Jr.".

Dicklucas
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hello Richard,

I've never worked with LF so I'm sorry I can't answer that question, I've NEVER been good at anything using an IT or ITR.

For the size issue, did you get the soft TT or the hard plastic with the gimmick?

I've always noticed the soft TT's were considerabally smaller as opposed to the hard plastic type. That MAY be a reason.

I believe, but am not certain, that I saw the D'Lite was now made in a Jr. size that could be a problem as well if it is indeed made in such a way. Whether the box is marked as such I do not know.

You might try contacting the seller for the answer to those questions.

Take Care,

X

PS - I just came across this site on the web http://www.dlite.com it may help.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I've got a nice routine utilizing D'lites. If anyone's interested PM me. Lee
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
phili
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of phili
Hah d'lites I love that **** I don't own a pair myself...yet but plan too. just wanted to know if anyone is from toronto, canada if there is a store where I can get them at. if not does anyone know of any sites that is the cheapest?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » D'Lite (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL