The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic Scotch and Soda: fine tuning the magnetic force (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Degio
View Profile
Regular user
It took me years to get to
117 Posts

Profile of Degio
Does anybody know how to reduce the magnetic force of a magnetic S&S (or coin unique)?
I believe heat should somehow cancel magnetism, but I am wondering if there are other methods.

Eventually, do you think the magnet can be removed from the shell? I have both shell and insert magnetic, so I thought that removing the magnet from the shell and replacing it with a shim may work. But it seems attached pretty strongly and I do not know how to remove it without damaging the shell.

Suggestions are welcomed.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1964 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I wish my one set of coin unique was like yours. Mine's just the opposite. It lost magnetic strength and the insert falls out very easily. But I do have a second set of coin unique that has good strength and I remove the insert with another magnet. But the other magnet has to be strong enough for it to work. A typical magnet you have on the refrigerator will probably not work.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
524 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2020, tbaer wrote:
I wish my one set of coin unique was like yours. Mine's just the opposite. It lost magnetic strength and the insert falls out very easily. But I do have a second set of coin unique that has good strength and I remove the insert with another magnet. But the other magnet has to be strong enough for it to work. A typical magnet you have on the refrigerator will probably not work.

A way to improve a magnet that has lost its strength, is to rub it in the same direction on a strong rare earth magnet. I have done it and it works. It is just like magnetizing a needle. If you draw it over a strong magnet in the same direction several times the needle will become magnetized.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1964 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I tried that Dan, but it didn't make any difference.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
711 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
You can also just place a magnet on the insert and leave it on for a day. It will gain some magnetism. Otherwise you could use a magnetizer.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
524 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Correct Andy!! Thanks for the extra advice for tbaer
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1964 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I always thought the shell had the magnet in Coin Unique and the insert had the shim. Is it the other way around? Am I magnetizing the shell or the shim? When I rubbed it the same direction, I was using the shell which I thought had the magnet. Is this not correct?

What is a magnetizer?
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
711 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
A magnetizer is tool that uses a powerful magnet to help rearrange the poles in the material. It is similar to what you were doing with the magnet.

There are industrial magnetizers, but they use different machines to run a magnetic field through a material to arrange the poles.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
524 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, tbaer wrote:
I always thought the shell had the magnet in Coin Unique and the insert had the shim. Is it the other way around? Am I magnetizing the shell or the shim? When I rubbed it the same direction, I was using the shell which I thought had the magnet. Is this not correct?

What is a magnetizer?

If you are not sure which one has the magnet, take a needle or pin and see which on it is attracted to.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
815 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I am in the process of making some magnetic quarter /ten yen scotch and soda sets . I will post when finished .
I located some real fine magnets that work great with smaller size coin .
Maker of Copper /Silver coin gaffs +

https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Degio
Thanks all for posting suggestions on how to increase magnetism.
I actually asked how to reduce the magnetic force: any idea there?
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
711 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2020, Degio wrote:
Thanks all for posting suggestions on how to increase magnetism.
I actually asked how to reduce the magnetic force: any idea there?

Use a demagnetizer. Homedepot and Lowes have them. Usually it's for use with tools. They normally come in a magnetizer/demagnetizer in the same piece.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1964 Posts

Profile of tbaer
It is the insert that has the magnet.
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Degio
My miracle coin unique (by Mark Mason) has a magnet in both insert and shell.
Never heard of a demagnetizer! I will look into it. Thanks!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2020, TWOCAN wrote:
I am in the process of making some magnetic quarter /ten yen scotch and soda sets . I will post when finished .
I located some real fine magnets that work great with smaller size coin .

Looking forward to these.
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Degio
Just to help others... I gave it a try, and reducing the magnetic field is super easy.
Put shell and insert (separated) in the oven for 60sec, take them out and let them cool, test and if not sufficient repeat.
That way I managed to fine tune (reduce) the locking force very precisely.
Increasing the magnetic field is probably much harder...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2021, Degio wrote:
Just to help others... I gave it a try, and reducing the magnetic field is super easy.
Put shell and insert (separated) in the oven for 60sec, take them out and let them cool, test and if not sufficient repeat.
That way I managed to fine tune (reduce) the locking force very precisely.
Increasing the magnetic field is probably much harder...

That’s interesting to know Degio. Thanks for sharing your findings.
Was this just a standard kitchen oven, and what temp did you use?
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Degio
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2021, videoman wrote:
Was this just a standard kitchen oven, and what temp did you use?

I used my standard kitchen oven, at 100 degrees celsius (so pretty low temperature) because I was concerned of damaging the gaff and I needed to fine tune the magnetic force
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic Scotch and Soda: fine tuning the magnetic force (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL