The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Gambling Card Sharps: How to Beat a Cheater (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Https://www.lybrary.com/gambling-card-sh......500.html

Anybody here read this book?

It sounds interesting and what interests me, in particular, is Calculated Cuts or Estimated Cuts as they are sometimes called.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of TH10111
Hey Tommy,

I have read Gambling Card Sharps, and to be honest, I wasn't particularly impressed.
It was a few years ago that I read it, but I had a quick flick through to refresh my memory.

The topics covered include using rhythmic phrases to quickly count cards off of the thumb, which can be for cutting at a desired spot in the deck, or in a riffle stocking/culling sequence.
The mnemonics are aimed at memorising cards on the table, so they can later be stacked - the technique is apparently "a variation of a system described by Hatton and Plate".
The 'strategic communications management' is a method of signalling between partners based around timing.
There is a decent amount of text devoted to holding out, which is not a topic I know well, so I will reserve judgement on this.
As well as other items...

Personally, the most disappointing part of the book is that it talks about 'cull and stock error rates', 'deviation of the statistical probabilities', and promises graphs and formulas.
However: the error rates are only ever spoken about in qualitative terms, no numerical calculations are done.
The deviation of the statistical probabilities, is simply a reference to how cheating will improve your chances of winning, so again there are no numerical calculations.
The formula presented appear to be relatively standard riffle stacking formula, which tell you how many cards should be inserted based on the number of players etc.

But the worst part is the graphs, the curves of which are primarily just straight lines showing obvious relationships, and most are labelled "hypothetical example only". As an example, there is a graph with 'Strategy Error Rate Probability' from 0% to 50% on the x-axis, and 'current card condition' on the y-axis, labelled at the extremes as 'New Deck' and 'Worn Deck'. The curve showing the relationship is simply a straight line from 0% error rate with a new deck, to 50% error rate with a worn deck. Now, I don't disagree with the relationship that as a deck becomes more worn, the chances of a making a mistake whilst stacking may increase (though I would argue that it depends on the level of wear that the card manipulator is familiar with), but this graph is entirely redundant.

In general, I felt the concepts proposed were either not particularly original, or unlikely to be acceptable at the card table. I also felt that it read like the author wanted to make the work appear significantly more technical than it actually was. I think this unnecessarily complicates the text and results in the author being given more credit than the work deserves.

I should state that the above are all my own opinions, and as I have never moved at the card table, my concept of what is and isn't viable should be taken as such.

However, overall, I did not think it was worth the price...
So, with that in mind, if as many of you as possible could purchase the book through this affiliate link so I can recuperate as much of the $24.95 as possible, it would be much appreciated.

TH
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you kindly. That was very helpful and I am obliged.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Steve Schmidt said "If you're in a poker gam and you don't know who the patsy is, YOU are the patsy." Another quote. If you are in a game and you think someone is cheating, get out! Walk don't run to the nearest exit. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200.00 (dollars).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Gambling Card Sharps: How to Beat a Cheater (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL