The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Internet - Are you making a personal timebomb for yourself? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
How many forums do you express opinions on? How many directories and listings does your name/address/phone number appear on? How many forums/directories contain the same e-mail address attributable to you? Do you subscribe to 'Re-Uniting' sites and give quite personal details of yourself?

I sometimes think to myself: "I've passed comments about everything from politics, to health matters, to giving advice on car maintenance, online newspaper posts from New York to London to Darwen, endless consumer reports I've given online, my many posts here in the MC, - all this plus my own list of websites both concerning entertainment and other matters".

Does this ever worry any of you? Do you post under many different e-mail addresses? Different ISP's? Ok, I'm not Lord Lucan (really!!), and I'm always careful not to post anything that could be classed defammatory, racially biased etc., and I certainly pay my taxes, - but do you ever feel you are compromising your confidentiality or even personal security online. Have you ever posted anything you'd like to have removed from somewhere? (would you tell us if you had?).

What would be the procedure of getting yourself removed from this site? you know, every post, everything you've ever said? (not that I want to). Does the CIA, FBI, MI5, Scotland Yard etc. ever even need to step out of the office away from a computer to find out all they need to know about some folks these days? Is the only way that one can make a truly anonymous statement on the internet from some distant Cybercafe for a 1 Euro coin or whatever, because even if you create an e-mail address for just 30 minutes then destroy it, your ISP will have it on record linked to you forever.

(and isn't anybody goin' to reply to that lad's letter on the Isle of Wight rock festival? - what did you say? where the h*** is the Isle of Wight??).
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's where the Beatles planned to rent the cottage mentioned in "When I am 64" on Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
The Isle Of Wight is where I grew up. It is a strange, very sheltered island whose economy is supposed to be mostly tourism based but which is really ruled on the one hand by the Yotties (upper class Yaught owners) who go there for weekends and the pensioners who go there to retire on the other, neither of whom want too much of that pesky outside modern culture getting through (it's taken forty years to get the rock festival on again since the original in the sixties, it's been blocked annually; in fact it was quite a coup getting together the event they have pretty much out of the blue).

The first line of defence is a pair of ferry companies who are the main means of access and who between them have maintained the few miles of water to the mainland as being mile for mile (at least one of) the most expensive stretches of water to cross in the world. As there are two of them they can escape the attentions of the Monopolies Commission without it being in either of their interests to start a price war with the other.

Despite all that it's a nice place to go back to, and residents are optimistic that the Island will make it into the 20th century some time in the next twenty years or so.

If you're bored, see http://www.wightonline.co.uk/ for more details.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Try the Isle of Man. Now the IOM Steam Package Company is what you could truly call a "monopoly". However, the trip from Liverpool, if you can get one on the old "Lady of Man" on a fine day is one of those simple but pleasurable experiences in life. Compared to the Sea Cats that travel like Starship Enterprise, this ship takes hours. Any of you Beatles fans across the pond would delight at "leaving Liverpool" slowly and gracefully as she works her way up the Mersey Estuary and out into the ocean. You see the two Cathedrals and the Liver Buildings slowly disappear into the haze. They say that only one in five of you USA folks have a passport. Do you really know what you are missing?

Now, what about this loss of confidentiality that frequent internet posters subject themselves to?
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
"Does the CIA, FBI, MI5, Scotland Yard etc. ever even need to step out of the office away from a computer to find out all they need to know about some folks these days?"

Well,to be honest, I don't think clowns, magicians, and jugglers are too big a threat in the real world.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I wouldn't be so sure, Stardog. Anyone who's ever read the Batman comics will know that clowns, magicians and jugglers are forever menacing cities with organised gangs of costumed henchmen, theatrically elaborate equipment and mysterious poison gas that makes everyone die smiling. There's even talk of coining the phrase "going circus" for this sort of behaviour, similar to how going crazy with a loaded gun is referred to as "going postal".
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I do sometimes stop and wonder what trouble I could be getting myself into! I guess it just means we need to be extra careful what we say, and what info we give away. A wrong word in the heat of the moment on a chatroom or BB is not as easy to take back as one said in a private conversation in a bar or other public place. I guess if you are evading taxes, have a warrant out for your arrest, tend to upset people with your political views, or made many enemies at your old high school then you should really consider what, and where, you post information on the internet!

I rememer a study done a few years ago here in NZ (one that I am sure has been done all over the world). They gave some computer savvy people a small set of random data to work with (such as a last name and a car registration, or a full name, or first name and place of work etc) and asked them to find out as much as they could, using only the internet, and only LEGAL means. The amount of information they found was staggering, usually ending up with a full profile of the persons family, job, wealth, acedemic history, credit rating etc. Now considering this was a few years ago, and they had to use legal means, I shudder to imagine the wealth of information they could find now if they were allowed to use any means possible!

Makes you appreciate the foresight in the book '1984' though!!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
Well, it seems that during "sweeps" this past May each and every news channel in NY had at least one report on identity theft. The reports did what they intended -- they increased ratings and scared people.

I figure it is like most things -- we need to be as cautious as possible. Yet, no matter how cautious we are, someone with a devious dispositon will find a way around whatever security measures we put into place. So keep records, make sure your purchases are on a secure connection and change your passwords.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
What with the existence of Eschelon (sp?) and other hi-tech snooping systems, I figure that Big Brother knows more about me by now than I know about myself, so I believe it is way too late to be paranoid.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Wow-wee Midnight, you've been busy reviving old topics in this column!

Just noticed ChrisZ's excellent posting (after we seemed to digress onto the subject of the Isle of Wight and The Isle of Man!). Thanks Chris.

Some of the 're-uniting' sites have brought quite astounding results for me - including people I've not seen since our childhoods in the 50s and 60s. There are however, stories of school bullies from 40 years ago starting bullying their prey again! - and middle aged and elderly people breaking their marriages to go back with a teenage romance they had in 1945 or whatever! I don't think I've ever posted as much with a link to my true identity, anywhere, like the Magic Café. Ok it's more or less all entertainment stuff. But even here the management had to make a ruling on members making extreme political comments, - comments the said members could have lived to regret, - because once someone posts after you your 'edit' button has gone!
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Speaking of internet security, I think it would be a good idea for you folks to read this article on spyware from this month's issue of Smart Computing magazine. Gotta be careful out there!
Dayanara
View Profile
New user
Michigan
64 Posts

Profile of Dayanara
That's why I LIE on the Internet. They talk so much about predators, I figure its just SAFER to lie. Besides, if you search my given name, you can't find me anyway.
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
"Does the CIA, FBI, MI5, Scotland Yard etc. ever even need to step out of the office away from a computer to find out all they need to know about some folks these days?"

Yes. There will never be a replacement for HUMINT.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Internet - Are you making a personal timebomb for yourself? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL