The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Dead reckoning (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Hi,
Does anyone perform this?
Seems great for table hopping since reset is pretty much automatic
If so, how are the reactions you get?
Thanks in advance
Jeff
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Ha, even though I love John Bannon’s work I really didn’t give this the attention it deserves until this past week. I’ve only tried it so far on my wife and kids but they all liked it, my oldest daughter freaked out she liked it so much.

I typically don’t like spelling effects and that is why I initially overlooked it all of these years but was watching some Bannon material during my Christmas break and wanted to revisit this one. Even though there is some spelling, the reason I don’t mind is that the spectator does the spelling silently so you can use this moment as mind reading/trying to read their expression/etc., so it is a good way to interact with the spectator and let them be involved. It’s also great that there are two reactions, the first being that you recognize when they say stop (in their mind), and the second being the actual card reveal.
Seluj
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Seluj
Do you know in which book the Dead Reckoning routine is described and taught ?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Dear Mr. Fantasy.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
292 Posts

Profile of terrillific
There's a version of it like better. I found in his book Destination Zero. It's called 'Second Reckoning".
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Dead Reckoning is a great card trick.
Check out its forefather:
Deluxe Card Spell by George Kaplan from the
Sphinx Jubilee booklet
Seluj
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Seluj
Thanks to both of you for the sources !
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2021, terrillific wrote:
There's a version of it like better. I found in his book Destination Zero. It's called 'Second Reckoning".

It's also taught in Move Zero volume 4.
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, Ray Chelt wrote:
The teaching of it in Mr Fantasy is somewhat obtuse. It’s sort of presented as a conversation on the ‘how” between two magicians rather than straightforward description of a process.

Yeah. I don't know why Bannon does it, though. He did it in some other routines as well.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Those were my favorite passages in DMF. Much more interesting to read than your run-of-the-mill magic texts.
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
I skipped DR in my first read of the book, because the set-up put me off. But later I tinkered and with slight tweaks you have a completely impromptu method to get an unseen card you haven't touched to a known location. It's a blank slate from there.

I won't go into too much detail. But I don't use a joker. I spot bottom card and either use Infinity or just remember it. Then get that card to position 27. Then do the process as described in DMF. If I didn't use Infinity, I will have to look at the faces, so I say something like, "I have no way of knowing the sizes of the packets you cut, so I don't know your card or where it is, even if I look through the cards I couldn't find it." While talking, I look through the faces and cut the key where it needs to go. Of course, with Infinity or similar you can just cut blind as in the original.

Put the other packet back on top as in the original DR and now their card is at 26. You have a card you never saw or touched at a known location. You can do anything with it. This is a pretty powerful tool without needing the set-up, or the joker, as in the original DR.

Just because I like it, I often use Martin Gardner's Lie Speller by first spelling off a 12-letter card. "This is what I could do if I knew your card. Say, if your card was the Four of Hearts," do the spelling, "But since I don't know your card, and I don't want you tell me, just let me ask for a few hints..."

But you could do almost anything. You could deal cards face down with your eyes closed and "read their mind" when they see their card. You could show small bunches of cards to the magic mouse hiding in your shoe until he signals you, and then he identifies the right card in the bunch. You could give exactly half of the cards to your spec to look through and find his card, then cop it out from the half still in your hand, then have him look through that half and not find it (after which it appears... somewhere).
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes

https://www.lybrary.com/ivy-p-925586.html
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
DR didn't have any 'traction' for me in the book [though I admit I had quite a different mindset when I first pored through it] - but the handling on one of his Move Zero vids gave me a lot more confidence and interest in the approach. Normally I file counting/spelling tricks away with the 21-card trick...
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, JonHackl wrote:
But later I tinkered and with slight tweaks you have a completely impromptu method to get an unseen card you haven't touched to a known location.

How do you do it impromptu?
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
I don't have MZ4, but I've seen the demo for Second Reckoning. I feel like the process in DR is much cleaner. SR feels a little "cluttered" to me. DR is just: take less than half, shuffle them up, note the top card, take more than half of what's left, bury your card. SR is surely a great trick as well, but the appeal of DR for me is how lean and clean it is.

I agree about spelling, but many spectators seem to like the premise. Part of the appeal, for me, of Gardner's Lie Speller is that it's a little twist on the spelling plot.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes

JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, pnerd wrote:

I tried to explain it in my post, but maybe part of it was unclear. Can you re-read it and let me know where it's confusing?

pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, pnerd wrote:

I tried to explain it in my post, but maybe part of it was unclear. Can you re-read it and let me know where it's confusing?

Your explanation makes sense to me if there's already a setup. But how do you get the setup impromptu?
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, pnerd wrote: Your explanation makes sense to me if there's already a setup. But how do you get the setup impromptu?

Well, notice that I'm not doing the same reveal as John Bannon does in DR. All I'm saying is that with those tweaks, I can get an unknown, unseen, untouched card to position 26 in the deck. You can reveal it from there any way you like. You won't be able to do the spelling/think stop reveal that Bannon uses; the set-up is necessary, it seems to me, for that reveal.

What my tweaked version of the DR handling does give you is a powerful, impromptu tool for getting control of a card without knowing it or handling it individually. My most-used reveal, Gardner's Lie Speller, works with any card in the deck once it's in the 14th position, which is why I spell off a 12 letter card first as an "example." Sources for Gardner's Lie Speller include Here's New Magic by Joe Berg, and 12 Tricks with a Borrowed Deck by Gardner himself. Because it works with any card, I don't need the set-up. I hope that makes sense.

Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
I've rediscovered my admiration (bordering hero worship) with Gardner recently [I tried to adapt a trick from Mathematics, Magic and Mystery for my Harry Connick Jr "She" album tribute performance], so I'll have to read it again. Was this trick in Fulves' Self Working Card Tricks or Scarne?
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
198 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
I just looked, and as far as I can tell it's not in either. But Scarne's Lie Speller is similar, and he credits Gardner, but I don't like it as much as Gardner's.

pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2021, pnerd wrote: Your explanation makes sense to me if there's already a setup. But how do you get the setup impromptu?

Well, notice that I'm not doing the same reveal as John Bannon does in DR. All I'm saying is that with those tweaks, I can get an unknown, unseen, untouched card to position 26 in the deck. You can reveal it from there any way you like. You won't be able to do the spelling/think stop reveal that Bannon uses; the set-up is necessary, it seems to me, for that reveal.

What my tweaked version of the DR handling does give you is a powerful, impromptu tool for getting control of a card without knowing it or handling it individually. My most-used reveal, Gardner's Lie Speller, works with any card in the deck once it's in the 14th position, which is why I spell off a 12 letter card first as an "example." Sources for Gardner's Lie Speller include Here's New Magic by Joe Berg, and 12 Tricks with a Borrowed Deck by Gardner himself. Because it works with any card, I don't need the set-up. I hope that makes sense.

Ah! Got it. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Dead reckoning (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL