The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Push Off Second Deal, Pivot Style, Questions and Comments (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Hi there,

I am moving this conversation here, because it seems more relevant to gambling sleight-of-hand enthusiasts than it does to Workers.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......start=20

After months of hiatus, I have again started to practice seconds. A few evenings ago, I found a new, looser grip that makes pitching more natural. Thank you to AMcD for demoing practice with the aces spaced three apart and to Jason England for encouraging me to practice the pitch. I am posting to the Café to pursue conversation about the technique.


Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Mr. Bones
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
That's a nice second Shaun.
One small critique might be that it looks a bit too "determined", likely because you're dealing so slowly?
I think a normal deal, from somebody who plays cards often enough to have a relatively decent deal - is noticeably quicker than that, and definitely a bit less "determined".

Regardless, you've certainly got the foundation for an excellent second deal.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
solbloch
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of solbloch
Maybe it would be easier if we could see an up close view of the deck -- without as much of the necktie motion? Also, I notice that your tops run over your fingers and protrude off the top of the deck, as do your seconds. I notice when watching great practitioners of the push-off (namely Richard Turner) that he balances the thumb and second finger pressure so the card doesn't float off the top at all. (I'm struggling with the same issue with my push-off second).
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Gosh, it's lovely to have some engagement on this topic. I appreciate it.

Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, Mr. Bones wrote:
I think a normal deal, from somebody who plays cards often enough to have a relatively decent deal - is noticeably quicker than that, and definitely a bit less "determined".


I can see how you might think that. It is slower than I would like it to be. Give me a few months - the pace is currently due to lack of skill. I appreciate the encouragement!

Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, solbloch wrote:
Maybe it would be easier if we could see an up close view of the deck -- without as much of the necktie motion?


That's a good point, and I am glad you raised it. I have been trying to find the optimal angle and it seems I can reduce the necktie even more.

Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, solbloch wrote:
Also, I notice that your tops run over your fingers and protrude off the top of the deck, as do your seconds. I notice when watching great practitioners of the push-off (namely Richard Turner) that he balances the thumb and second finger pressure so the card doesn't float off the top at all.


I am not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate? I think you might be referring to the small gap between the card-to-be-dealt and the top of the deck, which forms due to upward pressure from the dealing hand's second finger. Is that what you mean? If so, good point. I have never considered that.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16232 Posts

Profile of tommy
I cannot see what you are dealing onto but anyway for card table moves one needs to practice on a card table. One can pick up a Bridge table cheap on eBay and then when are you are practising pitching you can do it as if you are dealing too three players.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
solbloch
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of solbloch
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2021, shaunluttin wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, solbloch wrote:
Also, I notice that your tops run over your fingers and protrude off the top of the deck, as do your seconds. I notice when watching great practitioners of the push-off (namely Richard Turner) that he balances the thumb and second finger pressure so the card doesn't float off the top at all.


I am not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate? I think you might be referring to the small gap between the card-to-be-dealt and the top of the deck, which forms due to upward pressure from the dealing hand's second finger. Is that what you mean? If so, good point. I have never considered that.


Yes, the gap that forms upwards when one takes the second card after the push off. If you watch one of the better vidoes of Richard Turner, the card stays deal on the top, not to mention is insanely small brief and beautiful thumb sweep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4mIkYqoIlY
This video with Steve Forte commenting! Lots of seconds demonstrated. Perfect! (6:49) https://youtu.be/Uwf89TDN7F4?t=373

Also, maybe some footage from the same view as this video will allow those more knowledgeable then myself to help critique you more!
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, solbloch wrote:
This video with Steve Forte commenting! Lots of seconds demonstrated. Perfect! (6:49) https://youtu.be/Uwf89TDN7F4?t=373

I am going to spend some time with this video. It's neat to see Derek DelGuadio at the event too.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2021, solbloch wrote:
Yes, the gap that forms upwards when one takes the second card after the push off. If you watch one of the better vidoes of Richard Turner, the card stays deal on the top, not to mention is insanely small brief and beautiful thumb sweep.

I have been thinking more about this. Is it important to ensure the dealt "card stays on top?" It seems to me that consistency between the default deal and the second deal is more important. Ensuring that the dealt card stays on top, without a gap, seems stylistic more than anything. Thoughts?

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

solbloch
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of solbloch
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2021, shaunluttin wrote:
I have been thinking more about this. Is it important to ensure the dealt "card stays on top?" It seems to me that consistency between the default deal and the second deal is more important. Ensuring that the dealt card stays on top, without a gap, seems stylistic more than anything. Thoughts?


I'm not sure. When I watch myself in the mirrors, it seems fine for the card to flutter slightly up, but when I watch from a webcam angled from the top, it looks like a lot more movement. I can see the top card slap back down onto the deck. I'm trying to keep the card as flush as possible, but at a table, even a slight necktie should cover it. Also, I notice that I can course correct the card down a bit, which keeps the slap down

I would love some input from the vets on here, they assuredly have a more nuanced take.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16232 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is really only one way to do things at the cards table, that is to do things the same way as croupiers do things. Croupiers push the card over before pitching it and that is what you need to do in effect.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
It's become clear to me over the last few weeks. The vertical gap, between the top card and the deck, which happens during the second deal, ought not to be there. This is more than stylistic. That gap is visible from the front. Thanks again for the tip and conversation about it.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

5ggg
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
The guy filming that get together is a nice guy Smile.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Push Off Second Deal, Pivot Style, Questions and Comments (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL