The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi from London UK (& Wellington, NZ) (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

randomwraith
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of randomwraith
Hi everyone,

Until now I've been hanging around outside the Café only ever looking in. But, I've braved entering and am at the counter - so here's a little bit about me.

I grew up in New Zealand, but I've been living in the UK for the last ...err ... 20 years, currently in London ... I've always been an amateur hobbyist, with enthusiasm that waxes and wanes. I became interested in magic in my early teens. The spark was coming into school one day to find several people all performing tricks and me thinking along the lines of "That's cool, I should learn that too" Smile And so it began. I did quite a few shows throughout my teens at church fairs, Christmas parties etc. There was never a particular theme to my shows, I included whatever I could learn from books and could be done without having to resort to expensive apparatus, which wasn't (still isn't, lol) available to me. You can get away with a lot when you're still at school!

Although there were other magicians locally, there were no genuinely "active" clubs to speak of until my early 20s teens when The Hutt Valley Magician's Society was formed and I guess you'd say I was a founding member going to the inaugural meeting. It was started by two other local magicians. One of them, the late Michael Woolf, is a name some of you might know of (former editor of the NZ magic magazine Magicana). Despite running for several years, the club eventually disbanded.

This was all a long time ago. For the last few years I seem to have had what might be described as a magical dark age. It's not that I completely lost interest in the subject, more that I simply stopped doing it. And, wow, how much have I forgotten - I'm basically a beginner again, awkward patter and nervous fingers - so I've set myself a challenge to try and learn a new trick each week this year, cards, ropes, balls, coins ... let's see how it goes Smile

Cheers,

Martin.
Nomad Skateboarding
View Profile
New user
Nomading
36 Posts

Profile of Nomad Skateboarding
Cheers and welcome, Martin! Smile
The best we can is all we can ever do Smile

randomwraith
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of randomwraith
Thanks for the welcome - I'm looking forward to getting more involved!
Nomad Skateboarding
View Profile
New user
Nomading
36 Posts

Profile of Nomad Skateboarding
Same here, my friend! Just recently made an account after years of using it as my magical wikipedia Smile
The best we can is all we can ever do Smile

andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
867 Posts

Profile of andykean
Hi Martin
Welcome
I must have come to New Zealand from the UK around the time you came to London.
I was a member of the Wellington society when we lived there betwen 2001- 2003 and the meetings were held at Michael Woolf's house.
Great memories such a nice man
Best wishes
Andy
randomwraith
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of randomwraith
Thanks Andy! We must have missed crossing paths by just a few months, I arrived in the UK in very early 2001. You will remember the likes of Roderick, Anton and Linden amongst others perhaps? It was a fun club and Michael's house was a great setting for it. Fond memories!

Martin
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
867 Posts

Profile of andykean
Yes I do
great memories Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi from London UK (& Wellington, NZ) (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL