The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Mechanics bottoms -- to take between 1st&2nd or 2nd&3rd. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

solbloch
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of solbloch
I've been practicing my mechanics grip bottoms, learned a lot from various sources, and I was wondering what people here thought about takes between the 1st&2nd fingers versus takes between the 2nd&3rd fingers.

To me it seems that the take between the 2nd&3rd fingers has a little bit more cover, but a little more odd dealing action (very slightly). This is since I have to drag my taking hand 1st or 2nd finger between my fingers, and that looks a little less natural. So it seems like either trading off a bit of cover or a bit of naturalness.

It also seems that the particular hands have a big part, as my deck hand 2nd finger tends towards the corner of the deck, giving less space between the 1st&2nd finger for the take, but allowing the take between 2nd&3rd to be smoother since the 3rd finger moves down, and the 2nd finger can stay pretty dead.

Here's a video of both takes in my hands, first between 2nd&3rd, then between 1st&2nd: https://youtu.be/QtBZAbQTiLg

To note: I have a lot to work on, especially finger flash and top card movement.

Also, the sources I'm working with: "Seconds, Centers, Bottoms" by Ed Marlo, a copy of Magic Magazine Dec 2001 including Gary Plants on the bottom deal, "THE BOTTOM DEAL" by Tony Giorgio, and Jason England's excellent bottom dealing video on theory11.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I find it more natural, for me, to take between the second and third fingers.

Recently I changed my second deal, because my default deal takes between the second and third fingers, and I wanted my second deal to match that. Previously, I was taking my seconds from between my first and second fingers.

My bottom deal already took between the second and third fingers.

Personally, I find taking between the first and second fingers makes the take too close to the deck's front-right corner. My natural, default deal, in contrast, takes from the side of the deck, about 1/3 of the way back from the front right corner. Taking directly from the front-right corner during my default deal seems too precise and measured. In other words, my take for default deals, tops, and bottoms aims for the side of the deck about 1/3 away from the front-right corner. That tends to be between the second and third fingers and feels the most casual and natural for my style.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

solbloch
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of solbloch
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2021, shaunluttin wrote:
Personally, I find taking between the first and second fingers makes the take too close to the deck's front-right corner. My natural, default deal, in contrast, takes from the side of the deck, about 1/3 of the way back from the front right corner. Taking directly from the front-right corner during my default deal seems too precise and measured. In other words, my take for default deals, tops, and bottoms aims for the side of the deck about 1/3 away from the front-right corner. That tends to be between the second and third fingers and feels the most casual and natural for my style.

Wow! For some reason I haven't thought much about uniformity specifically of where I take the card from, but now that you mention it, I totally agree. My top take is about from 1/3 down also, which is pretty much in line with the gap between my 2nd&3rd.

Good tip! Thanks!
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Glad to be of service!

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Mechanics bottoms -- to take between 1st&2nd or 2nd&3rd. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL