The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » 25 year sabbatical (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Seagull
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Magic Seagull
Hi all. After a few months of getting a 'feel' for the Café, I'm very pleased to introduce myself. I have to count myself as a newbie - to the Café of course and, in some respects to magic, since other than the very occasional charity gig or trick for friends, until a few weeks ago I'd not performed for 25 years.

This was due to a series of factors: my first salaried job and becoming a Dad being the main ones. Prior to that I was performing professionally, alongside - and often intersecting with - an acting career. Much of my learning as a late teenager came from classic books and hanging around the magic shops of London during the mid 1980s and early 90s. Fellow magicians there were generous in sharing effects and techniques, so these were my online forums - Davenports (including when it was still opposite the British Museum!), Alan Alan's (what a character), International, Repo-71 in Battersea. I became interested in the stories of some of the greats and, as an undergrad in Theatre Arts, one of my final degree pieces was a one-man show about Chung Ling Soo!

And now I'm back; after that 25 year break, difficult to claim it's by popular demand. Purely for fun this time, since I have a day job is as CEO of a large educational charity. I feel like I'm starting all over again. Things haven't half changed. There are amazing new effects, some of them employing new technology. I mean, aren't the Pom-Pom Prayer Stick and that sliding die box clever? I'm learning new stuff, becoming particularly interested in mental magic and mentalism; still refining which route is right for me and what the hell the difference is between them. I'm having to re-learn the stuff my mind and fingers had forgotten; my pass is currently still detectable from several blocks away. And I'm learning to perform online; my first three performances back from the wilderness were on Zoom over Christmas. No-one stormed the stage in protest - a significant plus of remote performing.

This forum has already been very helpful and fun, so thank you. Good to see also that magic still has its characters, pedants, snake oil pedlars and bitter rivalries. It's nice to be here, and I look forward to contributing to the discussions whenever I'm able to summon up the courage.
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
80 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
Welcome! You are spot on about the forum being helpful and fun I have the found the same!
JonHackl
View Profile
New user
Western Australia
95 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2021, Magic Seagull wrote:
There are amazing new effects, some of them employing new technology. I mean, aren't the Pom-Pom Prayer Stick and that sliding die box clever?

I'm a purist. I'll stick to detaching and re-attaching my thumb, and maybe rolling a pencil on the table.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » 25 year sabbatical (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL