The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Twenty Years of Café Mentalism (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2021, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2021, Martin Pulman wrote:
That's why I think the move away from stage may be a dangerous thing for mentalism... Part of the believability of Mentalism comes from the implied status of the performer -similar to a hypnotist. I think performing in a stage or parlour environment helps that enormously.

Absolutely! This is something only experienced performers know and many close-up or street "mentalists" have yet to realize. The mystique, performance dynamics, and the implied status you mentioned often are more important than the effects you perform. Today's mentalists seem to focus on the wrong things, many with the true foundational aspects of mentalism missing.

This is so true!! And this is also the reason why I see propless mentalism quite critical. It might be something you could add to a (stage) routine/part of an act (if it doesn't take too long what is the case most of the time...), but you shouldn't be dependent on its success. And unfortunately too often the "presentation" and procedure are obvious part of the method. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Twenty Years of Café Mentalism (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL