The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Old new user (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jgcorn
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, OH
5 Posts

Profile of jgcorn
Hi all, I'm a 63 years old family practice doc currently working my dream job at a medical marijuana clinic. Anyhow, I bought my first book on magic at age 5 at my elementary school book fair & I've been hooked ever since. I seriously started collecting effects and books around 1992. In 2016 my three tool chests full of apparatus inadvertently got THROWN AWAY by a now-between-jobs housekeeper. I sold off most of my library - I kept Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment1-3 and Darwin Ortiz' Strong Magic, as well as a few others. I sold most of my books off because at my age I don't have time to try & absorb all their stuff and maybe someone out there younger can use them.

It's kind of funny that I'm into magic because I'm pretty introverted and don't often like to draw attention to myself! Funny, I'm a performing musician too. So it's sort of hard to break out of my shell & present an effect. I have some ideas, though, that may work, involving my wife and Zoom presentations for the family. To be honest I consider myself pretty much of a dilettante when it comes to magic. I hope that doesn't upset anyone because I know there are plenty of people on here with the guts to make their living doing this. Due to my limited ability, I have to practice & practice to get something even halfway down. My wife told me a cool things Navy SEALS say: "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" meaning, I think, that if one can perform a task slowly then one can do it smoothly and stand less chance of messing things up

Anyhow, do these things get seen & responded to? I'd like to find out if there's a marketplace for used effects but couldn't find it - if it exists.

Thanks for listening, looking forward to hanging out & hopefully learning &/or contributing in some way. Thanks!

Jan
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.
JonHackl
View Profile
New user
Western Australia
95 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Welcome! I think we can all join you in a moment of silence for your three chests full of stuff. Ouch!

There's a marketplace here but you need to stick around, join in conversations, and make 50 posts before accessing it. As far as I can tell, dilettante's are welcome. There's a healthy respect here for workers, but I haven't felt like anyone looks down on me as an amateur.

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is one of my favourite mottos. A trainer of mine in another field of study used to say it quite a bit, and it's stuck with me for learning magic as well.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Welcome home to magic. My wife is a retired family practice physician and magician. You are certainly welcome here. Please join us October 8-9, 2021 for Magic Valley Magic. It is free and you would like the Magicians' Flea Market we have. (We are also musicians!)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Old new user (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL