The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » RIP David Roth (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
livejeh
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of livejeh
Rest In Peace, thanks for the inspiration and for making coin magic modern and accessible!
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4546 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Rest In Peace, Mr. Roth. Smile
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
376 Posts

Profile of Bill
I'm so sad right now. But how beautiful to think that every time someone does ROV move or teaches it a small piece of David Roth is resurrected and lives on. Rest In Peace Mr. Roth.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
David Roth was very influencial for me when I first got bit by the Magic bug. I learned his Coin Flurry routine from his VHS tape which I still use. I'm privileged to be a student even if it was through his book and tape. Thank you Mr. Roth. Thank you.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1250 Posts

Profile of reese
I feel devastated. I attended a lecture by him at a hotel room in San Francisco. There were maybe 10 people there. I had already learned many of his effects. Seeing him perform from a few feet away is one of the highlights of my magical life. He has had such a profound influence on me. My best to his family.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1074 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
In 1996 I was Jean-Pierre Vallarino's assistant in Buenos Aires, Argentina, during the great Bazaar de Magia convention.
There I met David, we talked about everything, but mainly coin magic !
He encouraged me to pursue my research on the back thumb palm, giving me several sources to study.
I'm grateful for all he brought to the magical world, and first of all for his kindness.
So long Master...
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of plungerman
It's bitter sweet to have so much company here. I'm very saddened to hear the news. He remains the one and only Best coin guy and I will miss him and his influence.

I met David at Magic Inc. when he came to lecture long ago. He inspired me and my coin work more than I could have imagined.

The lecture itself was very packed (only Bob Read's was comparable) but there was still an empty seat kept at the front. After much introduction and Jay's dirty joke David came in and thanked everyone. He talked about what the lecture would be about but said he would need some coins. "Has anyone got some coins I could use?" Everyone went looking for their Goshman purse of course. And then from the back room came a voice "Yes, Mr. Roth! Right here, Mr. Roth! I've got some coins right here, Mr. Roth!" Holding up his coin purse in comes running Rickey Jay. He had been performing his show downtown with David Roth as his "53rd assistant". After the laugh Rickey was given the empty seat up front but insisted that Jay take it, and this went back and forth a while.

I was also lucky enough to get into the very small workshop David had in the next few days. On that day people were still calling in to the shop trying to find a way in. There he went into much of what we all know from his book and other items. He was very patient with each of us as we tore into specifics and gave us all we could absorb.

I spoke with him again at one of the coin conventions in King of Prussia PN. All the guys there were terrific about spending time with us but had to be pretty focused on getting performances for the video done. This was the show with the wooden chop cup that was so temperamental it came to be known as "Old Faithful". Even so, David was very free with his time and good advice.

I'm very sorry to think I will not be able to show him how helpful his advice has been. A great loss.
Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
Rest in peace. He will be dearly missed but thankfully his work will live on!!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1365 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Great magician and great teacher. Plus, he fooled Penn and Teller! RIP David Roth
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5161 Posts

Profile of videoman
Great magician in many facets, not only coins. Certainly a great teacher as well, but also a great thinker of magic. Magicians tend to get caught up with the sleights and David’s technique, which is understandable because it was flawless, but his thinking behind it, the routines, the plots, and premises were monumental in turning flawless technique into classics in magic.

RIP David.
Very few leave a legacy in magic equal to yours.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1074 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Here's a great essay and tribute to David Roth :
https://jamyianswiss.com/blog/coin-magic......7ifqTxRM

His legacy will last forever.
Seluj
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Seluj
He will be missed...
Thank you Mister Roth
Rspangl
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of Rspangl
I booked David Roth for the Columbus Magi-Fest (I believe is was 2012). Apparently he had never appeared there before. Great guy and was very pleasant to work with .
Ron Spangler
CUBERT808
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of CUBERT808
New to coin magic and new to magic Café. First video picked up just happens to be expert coin magic. So sad to hear of his passing.
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Goodbye to the Master from all our Friends

In the picture: Geoff Latta, Mike Gallo, David Roth, Dr. Mike Rubinstein, Kainoa Harbottle, Eric Jones, Mark DeSouza, David Neighbors, others and me

Joaquin
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Here is the pic
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4088 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I just talked to David's manager Regina Monaco, who has been working with David's sister Lisa and Asi Wind to host a David Roth zoom memorial. She asked me to post this:
Regina R. Monaco and Lisa Roth would like to invite the Magic Community to attend the Memorial we are holding in Honor of David Roth's Extraordinary Life.

We are holding this Memorial as a Zoom meeting, hosted by Asi Wind.

The details for connecting to this Zoom Memorial are below. Please join us as we remember the Life and Magic of the irreplaceable David Roth. 

Topic: Remembrance of the life of David Roth
Time: Mar 13, 2021 02:30 PM EST America/Nassau

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82347433041?pw......a1VDdz09

Meeting ID: Passcode: 830141" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="" style="">823 4743 3041
Passcode: 830141
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,82347433041#,,,,*830141# US (New York)
+13126266799,,82347433041#,,,,*830141# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: Passcode: 830141" original_font_attr="-1" original_line_height_attr="" style="">823 4743 3041
Passcode: 830141
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbzzySTtOf
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of snushy
Thank you so much for posting this Michael.
Best,
Larry Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4088 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
We just had the most amazing zoom tribute to David. I know it was recorded, I hope it becomes available for all to see. Here is a video tribute I made for David.

https://youtu.be/GYW5ZZNvR7c
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » RIP David Roth (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL