The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spider-Grip Vanish as a Color Change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I came across this in a pile of papers I was going to shred. In my handwriting it said "Spider-Grip Vanish as a Color-Change". This was from so long ago that I didn't even remember it. I used to write newsletters about magic but I don't remember if it even got in any of those. I never used it for anything.
I'm hoping Doctor Rubinstein might see this and tell us if this idea is new or if it already existed in the days of yore. Here's the idea. Whenever I think Spider-Grip Vanish, I always think the Classic Palm variation...not the Thumbpalm one. A different color coin is hidden in left fingerpalm the entire time, so that when you have a visible coin in French Drop position at the left fingertips and thumb, and then encircle it with the right hand...as if to do a French Drop, you really take it away, the other coin stays behind. As you take it away, the right fingertips push the coin into right classic palm, although the hand is in a loose fist.
Meanwhile, the left hand has closed into a loose fist as if you did a clumsy French Drop. This is a "sucker" move playing on the fact that most people were shown a French Drop (badly) by an uncle, except there is that coin of a different color actually in the left fist.
The psychology of this is interesting. You next pretend to toss away (downward) the supposed coin from the right hand, and when that hand opens, the coin being in right classic palm makes the hand look open and empty if you have a good classic palm. I repeat, I never liked the Thumb-palm original grip for this move...the thumb being held close to the hand didn't make the hand seem empty but the classic palm can.
Say "The coin vanishes! It's gone! It has ceased to exist!" (or something). Next, if someone hasn't said "Maybe it is in the left hand" or such, you have to look at the left hand and say something like "some people think I really left it here".
Open the left hand to reveal the other coin - a different coin! As soon as possible pick it up with the right finger and thumb tips to give the right hand something to do. A good cleanup sequence is to take your right hand and the two coins to a right pocket and ditch the odd coin but come back out with the original coin still in classic palm. Do a L'Homme Masque load into your left hand which forms into a loose fist.
Say "Maybe there is a coin here again" and open the left hand to reveal the original coin has returned and go ahead with more of your routine. There you have it.
Seriously, Mike, if you're out there, can you let us know if this is new or old...and if old, do we know who's it is? And please, anyone else that knows the answer, feel free to chime in. Thanks. Regards, Gregg Webb
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There's an audience dynamic of play which can work. Folks may recall the version of "guess which hand" where after you get them excited a few times with a false transfer you secretly introduce a second coin ... so you really have one in both hands Smile Smile

If you are sure they know you are playing* you can let them "catch" you with a different coin... or use that moment to "okay you hold it" switch the coin secretly.

Maybe someone can look in Marlo's book to check the item - I recall it as using Classic Palm.

*John Ramsay's routines set up those feint/surprise moments to cover other method moments. Play nice.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gregg webb
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
What I was asking was, "Is it new and if not, who's it is?". Gregg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spider-Grip Vanish as a Color Change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL