The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Nothing up my sleeve... Ľ Ľ David Roth (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
He used it with me up until the present time. Maybe Allen Greenberg was the last time.

The music you picked was very good. Perhaps that line was an inside thing between him and me. By-the-way, I was just thinking back. Were both Derek and Geoff Latta 50 when they passed?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of Leo H
That was a great tribute Michael! Thank you for posting it! It also seemed to me that Roth didn't record enough of his Roth Remembers YouTube videos. I wanted to hear more stories, but I'm grateful he shared that material.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4087 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Gregg, Geoff was 51, don't know how old Dingle was when he passed.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I seem to remember 50. No matter. I have a lot of anecdotes from David. He told them to me numerous times and I wouldn't interrupt to tell him I heard it before; I didn't mind hearing them again...maybe I'd remember some. Many are short. Here's a short one. When Vernon devised Twisting the Aces, he used the fingertips style Elmsley Count. David then told me it was Perci Diaconis who changed the Elmsley Count grip to the dealing position most of us use now for the left hand. I didn't know that. It is short, but I found it interesting. David told me he still found the fingertips version compelling because it says "look how fair I'm being". Anyway, I'll try to organize the ones I can remember.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4087 Posts

It's funny, over the years I have heard all of the stories, and more than once. David had an uncanny way of repeating the same story exactly, word for word, and nuance for nuance. Just like the way he performed his tricks. Every word and inflection the same. Problem is, as I have gotten older my memory isn't as sharp. I do remember one story about Francis Carlyle. He was an alcoholic, and was banned from the bar at the Castle because of his drinking. But he would go into bars and perform, and tell such soulful stories that the men would literally weep. I guess they bought him a lot of drinks, to see the magic and hear the stories.
Some of the stories told by David were not flattering, however, and although they were funny to hear, the person who was the focus of the story would be embarrassed. Although, there was one story that was really funny, and I can tell it because I don't think he is with us anymore. There was a magician who called in a bunch of magicians into the close up parlor to show them something, including Jack Lemon. This gentleman was rather full of himself. Instead of being introduced by the host of the room, he insisted on providing his own introduction. So, while he was behind the curtain, he started a very long, drawn out intro. As soon as he realized what was going on, Jack Lemon quietly indicated to the crowd that they should all leave, so they silently filed out. When this gentleman finished his legnthy and pompous introduction, he came out from behind the curtain into an empty room.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I realize I have only 4 more. Many have been told. David told me one the Professor told him about walking down the street with Houdini and Sam Margulis (sp) who was probably who Vernon was staying with at the time or something. Anyway, Houdini announced "From now on, call me Houdini, not Harry." So Sam kept forgetting, such as "Hay, Harry, look at that", and point to something. Houdini says "I told you to call me Houdini, not Harry anymore". Finally, on the third time, Houdini slapped Sam, and said "I told you to call me Houdini not Harry!". Then Vernon ended the story by saying "That was when I realized Houdini was not a nice man".
Nev Blenk
View Profile
New user
Northumberland UK
82 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Enjoying the anecdotes... keep them coming guys
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
When we drove up to Ithaca for David's video Master Coin Magic, there was a lot of time to talk about stuff. By-the-way, my brother worked at Cornell and Ithaca College both (I forget which place we shot.) He was teaching audio for film and video. The cameraman was an ex-NFL cameraman. Anyway the conversation in the car turned to Jeff Altman. Almost anyone you'd mention turned out to be someone David knew. Jeff Altman is the son of Art Altman, a Marlo cronie from Chicago. Jeff fooled me badly with some 1-on-1 card stuff in a Syracuse bar. This is before he rose to fame as a comedian.

Well, one time in a car Jeff was driving and had the person in the passenger seat take the wheel and Jeff hung his whole torso out the window, hanging down, with his arms hanging down, like he was dead. After the show Laugh-In, these things were more common back then. See, this would freak out the other drivers.
Anyway, David wanted to try it. I was driving. I didn't dare do it. (I didn't think David knew how to drive). Also, he kept saying "Can't you go faster?". We
finally got there. I remember we had trouble filming The Ruler trick. Many takes for some reason. Well, there you have it. p.s. I just heard there will be something about Jeff Altman on TV...a "where are they now?" type of thing I guess. Not sure, but I just heard the name.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Gregg, David told me the Altman story with him as the passenger ducking down a little and taking the wheel. David finished the story by saying he didn't know how to drive.
Nev Blenk
View Profile
New user
Northumberland UK
82 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Slightly off topic but..... Paul Daniels once told a story about himself driving a foreign car here in the UK, so naturally the steering wheel was on the 'wrong' side.
He used to have a full size skeleton in the passenger seat that freaked other drivers out.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Charles Reynolds showed me a video of Paul Daniels doing the Rings for a little girl. It was great.

I have a Charlie Miller anecdote David told me the phone conversation before the last one. I had asked him if he had gotten to meet Charlie Miller who was an old friend of Vernon's who David knew. Not only did he meet Charlie, Charlie gave him a tux and a patent leather pair of shoes so David could get in the main dining room of the Castle where I guess there was a dress code. This was when David got a close-up award.
Later Charlie performed, and later told David it was his best performance ever and the best audience reaction he ever had. He did a trick which I didn't know he featured where metal objects, silverware etc. would cling to his outstretched fingertips. He would vibrate his whole body and claim it was because of the zillion volts of electricity surging through his body. Finally it stopped, and the silverware fell. That's how I remember it being told.
I never even have been to the west coast, or the Castle. I never met Vernon or Charlie Miller.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4087 Posts

That was a great story! Here are the details, as told to David Regal in his book Interpreting Magic (David published his interview on Facebook, so I feel I can reprint that small part here).

You worked The Castle when you were how old?

"Twenty-one. This is a nice story: When I went out there for the first time I was saying in Charlie Millerís apartment, and working The Castle. They were about to have, in a day or two, the award ceremony for the previous year. I didnít have an invitation, I didnít have a tuxedo, I didnít have anything. I was just out there to work The Castle for the first time. So, Ron Wilson gave me a tuxedo, because we were the same size. Now I had a tux. And I wore Charlie Millerís patent leather shoes. And The Professor gave me a bow tie, the same bow tie thatís in all of his 8◊10 glossies, and I still have it. So now I had a bow tie, and the shoes and the tux, and Francis Carlyle had a spare invitation for this event. So, I was his date for the night. All these wonderful legendary magicians chipped in so that I could go."
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I did pretty good from just memory, thank God. Hey, I just have one more. David was on a flight with the Amazing Randi, going to the same convention somewhere. Randi told him this story about being on a train (I think it was a train) in Europe (I think it was Europe). Anyway, and I knew Randi somewhat, I can almost hear his voice. So, in the night thieves came into the car and almost everyone was sleeping. The thieves drugged everybody. I'm not sure what drug. Maybe Doctor Rubinstein can help me out. Was if chloroform or what ? I almost remember it as some kind of spray fog that, whatever it was, put everyone "under" and then they robbed everybody. Randi almost woke up and he remembered a light shining in his face. They shone a light into everyone's faces to be sure they were "out". In the morning everyone found out they had been robbed.

So that was the last anecdote I remember David telling me that is repeatable. Yes there are many more that are not repeatable. And there you have it.
scotchrocket
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
110 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
I have a Charlie Miller anecdote David told me the phone conversation before the last one. I had asked him if he had gotten to meet Charlie Miller who was an old friend of Vernon's who David knew. Not only did he meet Charlie, Charlie gave him a tux and a patent leather pair of shoes so David could get in the main dining room of the Castle where I guess there was a dress code. This was when David got a close-up award.
Later Charlie performed, and later told David it was his best performance ever and the best audience reaction he ever had. He did a trick which I didn't know he featured where metal objects, silverware etc. would cling to his outstretched fingertips. He would vibrate his whole body and claim it was because of the zillion volts of electricity surging through his body. Finally it stopped, and the silverware fell. That's how I remember it being told.

Quote:
On Feb 14, 2021, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
That was a great story! Here are the details, as told to David Regal in his book Interpreting Magic (David published his interview on Facebook, so I feel I can reprint that small part here).

You worked The Castle when you were how old?

"Twenty-one. This is a nice story: When I went out there for the first time I was saying in Charlie Millerís apartment, and working The Castle. They were about to have, in a day or two, the award ceremony for the previous year. I didnít have an invitation, I didnít have a tuxedo, I didnít have anything. I was just out there to work The Castle for the first time. So, Ron Wilson gave me a tuxedo, because we were the same size. Now I had a tux. And I wore Charlie Millerís patent leather shoes. And The Professor gave me a bow tie, the same bow tie thatís in all of his 8◊10 glossies, and I still have it. So now I had a bow tie, and the shoes and the tux, and Francis Carlyle had a spare invitation for this event. So, I was his date for the night. All these wonderful legendary magicians chipped in so that I could go."

Mr. Roth tells this story in one of the videos in the 'Roth Remembers' playlist posted on page 2 of this thread.

Here's a direct link, straight from the horse's mouth! https://youtu.be/5vGW3cb0cIk?list=PLZxap......fyhNM02l
All about borrowed coins.
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
David told me the story in person and I was telling it from my memory of how he told it to me over the phone. Pretty close I'd say and the part of the Charlie Miller trick with the clinging metal to his fingertips was the part I was most interested in...hadn't heard Charlie did that trick in his "act".
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Hi Tom G. Yes, David was the one in the passenger seat with Jeff Altman, the two of them in the car. When he and I were driving to Ithaca (me driving) he wanted to try it but I didn't want to since he didn't know how to drive.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4087 Posts

One joke David liked to tell (not the Aristocrats, although when he told that it was pretty funny). David had a propensity to sweat a lot, so he carried around a small hand towel. He used to joke that he sweat so much, he could grow rice! OK, you had to be there...
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I can almost hear David telling the Aristocrats...
gregg webb
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
And now it is time to say "goodby" to my old friend of about 50 years. I thought I had run out of anecdotes you told me, mostly over the phone, but I just remembered one of my favorite ideas of yours from the early days. Remember "Coins From A Dead Man's Eyes"? I think you planned to have that in your play at Ford's Theater, which Pat Cook wrote, and which I unfortunately didn't see...I hope the bit made it in. I think you planned to have an actor (I hope) laid out and there would be coins on his eyes which you'd use for a coin trick. Maybe someone saw the play and can tell the rest of us.

And thanks for being kind about my coin inventions over the years. And honest when required (when I reinvented an old wheel). GREGG WEBB
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4087 Posts

Gregg, just read over this entire thread again. I am still processing David's loss, but it was so nice to read over your stories and memories. When you mentioned David playing the piano while palming a coin, it brought to mind another story that I am sure you will remember once I write it. David went into a jazz club, and happened to notice the piano player was playing with a coin in classic palm. He kept watching, and every so often he would notice that the guy kept playing with a coin palmed. David waited until after the guy took a break, and then went up to him and said, "It's really good how you did that, playing with that coin palmed in your hand." The player smiled, and turned his hand over. He had a silver dollar coin image tattooed on his palm! Apparently it was a macho thing because the palm is so sensitive. When you mentioned the practice, that story came to mind.
As a strange end to the story, Harry Lorrayne said that the story was his, not David's. David said that Harry must have heard the story at some point when David told it, and decided to make it his own (and certainly Harry has his own great group of stories). I don't know if they ever discussed it, but it was a great story (and David told it better!!). Anyway, thanks so much for recounting your personal memories. David was more than a great magician. When he let you in, you were in for life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Nothing up my sleeve... Ľ Ľ David Roth (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL