The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4021 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Gregg, just read over this entire thread again. I am still processing David's loss, but it was so nice to read over your stories and memories. When you mentioned David playing the piano while palming a coin, it brought to mind another story that I am sure you will remember once I write it. David went into a jazz club, and happened to notice the piano player was playing with a coin in classic palm. He kept watching, and every so often he would notice that the guy kept playing with a coin palmed. David waited until after the guy took a break, and then went up to him and said, "It's really good how you did that, playing with that coin palmed in your hand." The player smiled, and turned his hand over. He had a silver dollar coin image tattooed on his palm! Apparently it was a macho thing because the palm is so sensitive. When you mentioned the practice, that story came to mind.
As a strange end to the story, Harry Lorrayne said that the story was his, not David's. David said that Harry must have heard the story at some point when David told it, and decided to make it his own (and certainly Harry has his own great group of stories). I don't know if they ever discussed it, but it was a great story (and David told it better!!). Anyway, thanks so much for recounting your personal memories. David was more than a great magician. When he let you in, you were in for life.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
gregg webb
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I was just going to post that story because I just remembered that we forgot to tell that one. We could start a mindreading act. But I do have another short one. A friend in the Detroit area saw David at a lecture, and of course it was great, but one thing he mentioned was a trick I never saw David do that involved coins vanishing and reappearing in a "bullet bag". Not sure what a bullet bag is, or anything. I think he also used a chop stick for a wand, if I remember my friend's description. Maybe someone saw this item from his more recent lectures.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
This item? https://www.naturalexotics.com/dark-brow......bag.aspx

He used a chopstick as a wand in an item he performed on the Penn & Teller show.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Nev Blenk
View Profile
New user
Northumberland UK
75 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Can't remember where I saw David discussing the 'bullet bag' but its an ingenious idea. Not just the method of using it but also the fact that the routining means its of no importance to the spectators. Not my place to tip method.
Im sure he used it on Penn & Teller. He had a different name for it I'm sure. My memory fails me.

Nev
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4021 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
You guys are referring to David's open servante. He fried everyone at the New York Coin Magic Seminar when he unveiled it, and fooled Penn and Teller with it on TV. I remember the first time he showed it to me. Latta and I met with David at his apartment, and he kept vanishing coins over and over until it slowly dawned on us what he was doing (and we were literally a foot away from him). He tipped the entire system on volume 11 of the NYCMS DVD series.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth (40 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL