The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Half dyed hanks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joeybaron
View Profile
Regular user
dallas,texas
101 Posts

Profile of joeybaron
Where can I find the silks for Billy McComb's half-dyed hanky routine? Thanks. joey
Paul G
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Paul G
Dazzlingmagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I also make half dyed hanks in various color combinations. The prices are on the website.

I have done pink/white, red/ white, red/yellow, yellow/turqoise, pink/turqoise and maybe a couple of other combinations over the years.

You should be using a 6mm silk and Billy usually uses a 15" silk.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5719 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The ones from Dazzling Magic are the best I've ever seen. The red dye was applied very precisely. They're much better than the ones I bought from Laflins.
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
I got one reasonably priced from Laflin's and don't mind the rather funky line. I'm not a fan of the one gimmick routine Laflin uses, however. Laflin's sells the individual silks as well as the routine and I think the whole thing packaged as well. Viking Magic sells the whole thing including the gimmick for I think $35. I've seen Billy's on Ebay a number of times.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22241 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic sells and has the rights to Half Dyed Silk by McComb. The best quality silks and dye job is by Richard Hughes. (See Above)

Abbott's makes a plastic version of the McComb gimmick and provide the Manuscript written by McComb himself.

Although, McComb created an excellent climax, I perfer to use a Palmo by Rice Magic and Viking Magic. By using the Palmo you eliminate the need to turn the gimmich end for end to perform each color change.

The routine I have used for almost 40 years is Bev Taylor's "My Face Turned Red" routine. This classic hand color change can be found in the Uncanny Scott book and the Dai Vernon collection by L&L Publishing. Also Pat Page has an excellent version on his tapes. All use the tape dye tube, but it is an easy matter to switch to the palmo gimmick.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The Bev Taylor routine is very good.

I should note that Billy's handling of the tubes and such has changed since originally writte up in McComb's Magic.

There is also a tape by Tony Hassini that explains it pretty well. I think Steven's tape (dvd) also explains it all.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5719 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-08-30 22:01, stephenbanning wrote:
I got one reasonably priced from Laflin's and don't mind the rather funky line. I'm not a fan of the one gimmick routine Laflin uses, however.

I don't care for his two gimmick routine, haven't seen his one gimmick routine. The McComb routine has a great deal of impact - highly entertaining. Laflin watered down the routine too much.
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-15 15:09, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-08-30 22:01, stephenbanning wrote:
I got one reasonably priced from Laflin's and don't mind the rather funky line. I'm not a fan of the one gimmick routine Laflin uses, however.

I don't care for his two gimmick routine, haven't seen his one gimmick routine. The McComb routine has a great deal of impact - highly entertaining. Laflin watered down the routine too much.

I like most of what Laflin does, this included, but I like a two gimmick version better.

A poster above mentioned Hughes version is "best". While I'm sure it's good, it's arrogant and ignorant to think these props aren't subjectively evaluated. My preference is Laflin. I doubt the poster above has experience with the Laflin prop and is speaking out of school.

The reality is that this is not a complicated prop. It's a silk dyed two colors. The momme is not that imporant and the line definition, blurred or is unlikely even to be noticed by spectators.

As for instructions, McComb's version is good, but not the first. The Rice Silk series details at least one version of this classic.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will disagree that momme is not important. An 8 momme silk in the McComb gimmick will only take a 12" silk. 6 momme will fit a 15" scarf. Maybe not a huge difference, but on stage it can look great. A thinner momme lets you get a bigger silk. Now if you go too thin it can tear and wear out too fast. Ade Duval used very thin silks in his act (4mm) which is why they wore out so fast.

I have no problem with Laflins or Dazzling Magic's silks. They are good products. I am flattered someone thinks mine are the best. But use what you are happy with.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22241 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would never purchase Laflin silks as he gets many of them from India. I do not like the faded colors and see thru quality. The white is not white, but dirty looking. The red is more faded.

You get what you pay for. For the birthday party performer that does shows for little or no pay. Then the Laflin line will do. The effect is the important part of any magic show.

Japanese silks are of good color. Fun Inc, has brought a line out that is very good color and quality. This is my preference, each will have his own reason for his choices.

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5719 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-09-19 01:51, stephenbanning wrote:
I doubt the poster above has experience with the Laflin prop and is speaking out of school.

The reality is that this is not a complicated prop. It's a silk dyed two colors. The momme is not that imporant and the line definition, blurred or is unlikely even to be noticed by spectators.

The line in the silk does matter, in actual performance. I experimented extensively with a variety of gimmicks before sticking with a Palmo ball as my gimmick of choice.

I agree with Mr. Hughes about using a lighter silk. Sure they wear-out quicker, but the effect is better. Besides, small silks are expendable items.
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-22 20:55, wmhegbli wrote:
I would never purchase Laflin silks as he gets many of them from India. I do not like the faded colors and see thru quality. The white is not white, but dirty looking. The red is more faded.

You get what you pay for. For the birthday party performer that does shows for little or no pay. Then the Laflin line will do. The effect is the important part of any magic show.

Japanese silks are of good color. Fun Inc, has brought a line out that is very good color and quality. This is my preference, each will have his own reason for his choices.

As usual, Bill contradicts himself. He says he would never buy Laflin silks, but then describes in detail what he believes they are like.

No Laflin silks are made in India. They are made in China. The colors are extremely vibrant including white, which I have.

Those who use Laflin Silks include Jeff McBride.

For someone who writes a lot and would have us believe he knows a lot, outside of this chat area, Bill is relatively unknown magically outside the suburbs of Fort Wayne. He frequently gives wrong information. A shame.

Some people are too soon old and too late smart.

Mr. Hughes has many fine products including silks. However, a straight line, IMO isn't going to make a difference. It is harder to get a straight line, but to me the faded merging of two colors is MORE magical than a straight line.

Momme also certainly makes a difference in compressability and appearance. It is a subjective decision as to what looks best.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Some Laflin silks are made in house, some in China, some in Italy and some elsewhere.

I agree the line is not a major thing. I personally prefer a gentle fade between colors. It is a personal thing no matter how you look at it.

I always tell people on any of my stuff or someone else, if it does what you need it to do that is all that is required.

I will say one thing about Laflin's silks. They do tend to be on the thinner size which makes them fit in tighter but that also makes them wear out faster.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22241 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2004-10-02 02:28, stephenbanning wrote:

As usual, Bill contradicts himself. He says he would never buy Laflin silks, but then describes in detail what he believes they are like.

No Laflin silks are made in India. They are made in China. The colors are extremely vibrant including white, which I have.

Those who use Laflin Silks include Jeff McBride.

For someone who writes a lot and would have us believe he knows a lot, outside of this chat area, Bill is relatively unknown magically outside the suburbs of Fort Wayne. He frequently gives wrong information. A shame.

Some people are too soon old and too late smart.

Mr. Hughes has many fine products including silks. However, a straight line, IMO isn't going to make a difference. It is harder to get a straight line, but to me the faded merging of two colors is MORE magical than a straight line.

Momme also certainly makes a difference in compressability and appearance. It is a subjective decision as to what looks best.

These are my opinions of this manufacturer/dealer material. I have been to many magic conventions and inspected his products first hand. I have never bought anything but his dump bucket from him. He is a very nice dealer, but his product line is no where near Rice, Hughes, or the Fun Inc. silks.

Stephen Banning, I never heard of you either, outside of your post. As a matter of fact, I have never heard of Jason Randal that was on Letterman Show last nite.

stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Richard,

Laflin says his silks are from China. I believe him. Additionally, his labels indicate that as well. They work very well.

No one in the United States "makes" silk in house. Silk worms "make" silk. You can't get Mulberry leaves here.

Bill, In the case of Rice silks, my understanding is that they use Japanese silk, which we all probably agree tends to be of higher quality and costs more because magic dealers logically pass the extra cost on. Can the audience see it? I'm not sure. Some Rice Silks have more elaborate designs. Does the audience appreciate it? If they are magicians, definitely, otherwise, maybe not for the few seconds they get to see the trick. I use Rice silks too, but I don't get a better reaction from them. Perhaps spending more money on props doesn't make the magic better.

Two thoughts:

1) If the audience is looking that closely at the silks, there is something wrong with the way you are doing the magic.

2) If the audience is looking that closely at the silks, you have become a textile curator rather than a magician.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe Duane also as he is a friend but some of the designs he sells are the same as the one advertised made from Italy.

As for made in the USA, I meant the actual hemming and dye process is done here. Duane is also doing some dye work.

As I have always said, if it suits your needs and works, great. I agree spending more does not always mean better. But sometimes it does.

The difference of opinion is understood though I do not agree. I feel the weave does make a big difference.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Half dyed hanks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL